Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

anyone live in canada water?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
theres a few decent pubs on Rotherhithe st, the road between the river and Slater rd (the main ring road round Rotherhithe). Spice Island is good, decent food and view of wapping, very mixed clientel from city slickers to local millwall. also the Angel on the river at the end of Cathay street just along Jamacia rd is rather nice.

My grandparents lived in Orchard House, right next to the old Dock Offices, opposite Canada Water station (and I even lived there myself for a bit).

The place has changed a bit since then, of course, but I guess The Mayflower (in Rotherhithe Street, next to the river) is still the best pub for a stranger to the area to choose.

mayf_se164nf_1.jpg

Sadly, The Cock and Monkey in Neptune Street has now closed. And I don't know what The Ship York (also in Rotherhithe Street) is like these days. What I do know, though, is that it was my grandad's favourite pub.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
LB ship york is the best pub in that part of the world by a country mile.

Last edited:

Okay, ill have a look out for these thanks. I will be living opposite one called "the clipper" ??

Rotherhithe pubs

The Clipper, 562 Rotherhithe Street, SE16 5EX

TheClipper.jpg

Looking for all the world like something built from the leftovers of a council estate, I must admit to having second thoughts before finally entering The Clipper. The acorn-throwing youths and the attempted assault in the Blacksmiths Arms just down the road were still weighing on my mind. It seems in Rotherhithe, Southeast London has found its spiritual Canning Town, a Varanasi of yobbery, and the streets were throbbing with all kinds of malcontent. My caution concerning the pub proved ill-founded, however, as the management have tried extremely hard to provide a relaxed, convivial and charming place. The deeply traditional appearance includes an old cosy carpet, wooden walls and a long bar, with the front dedicated to the casual drinker, and the back more attuned to diners. While the menu provides no gastronomic thrills, it's good solid stuff, and the beer selection is likewise limited but not appalling, and the staff will do cocktails on request if that's the sort of thing you like to wave around your face in Rotherhithe. There's tables outside by the road if you want to watch CSI being played out for real, and a decent beer garden at the back if you don't. The laid-back vibe, friendly bar staff and all-round effort put in to making this a great place have paid off, the result being a good but unpretentious pub.

Reviewed by Fred Flange, July 2007

Hmmm ...

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
... but it's not looking good for The Ship York.

:(

Southwark Council Planning Pages

If it's not too late ... get there quickly.

My grandad will be turning in his grave.

there have been rumours its been up for sale for ages. if it already hasnt been sold, its a while since i've been there.

i had heard it was due to change in a bar/restaurant, but ultimately pretty much all community pubs in this part of the world are doomed. as much as everyone on here will tell you otherwise.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
We recently moved from there. The pubs are a bit of a mix bunch but by far the best of the lot is The Ship and Whale adjacent to Greenway Quay. Brilliant gourmet burgers which I already miss hugely! :thumbsup:

for a bit of balance the ship and whale probably has the dearest bar food in the world. if the gavroche served pints you might as well go there for more value for money. its a gastropub. only busy for sport when the ruggers on. sorry deano but i hate it.

but ultimately pretty much all community pubs in this part of the world are doomed. as much as everyone on here will tell you otherwise.
I guess the Norwegian and Swedish sailors' missions have all gone as well - even if the Norwegian Church still survives as the focal point of Rotherhithe.

My grandad was a geordie by birth and he kept his accent until he died. He always used to claim that the Scandinavians in Rotherhithe found him easier to understand than the locals.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I guess the Norwegian and Swedish sailors' missions have all gone as well - even if the Norwegian Church still survives as the focal point of Rotherhithe.

my mate is the danish seamans pastor still located there although its now run from the danish church in regents park, and he is responsible for the whole country. the norwegian church as you say is still very active and has a fantastic christmas fair. dunno about the swedish one the flag is still flying outside so i guess its still in use in some form.

dje shoreham

Nov 2, 2009
Lived in rotherhithe street in the early nineties and Ship York best pub - fullers beer and lock -ins - the landlord was an ex copper

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here