View Poll Results: Can a cheese top bap, not sliced and with no filling be classified as a cheese roll?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Word! Dynamic G has it dead straight. It is a Cheese roll.

8 10.26%
  • A cheese roll? He's having a laugh.

70 89.74%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    What?

0 Not allowed!
    I think the key here is the description given to the product by the retailer. "Cheese Topped Bap" Therefore, it is not a cheese bap, or roll, but a cheese TOPPED roll.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Nie dla Idiotów

0 Not allowed!
      Originally posted by Easy 10
      In the immortal words of Hans Moleman: "You stole sixty seconds of my life, and I want them back........bahh, I'd only waste it anyway".

As always, the answers to all of life's really important questions can be found in the form of Simpsons quotes
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Originally posted by Deano's Right Foot
      Well I just came back from lunch at Marks and Sparks (Holmbush). I ordered, received and comsumed a bowl of carrot and corainder soup, together with a roll peppered with pumpkin seeds. My partner however, ordered a Toasted Ham and Cheese Sandwich. She was given a little flag with the number 8 on it. Two minutes later the little flag was swapped for two thick slices of bread arranged as a sandwich, with cheese melted on the top slice. Upon further inspection we concluded that amazingly there was not one scrap of ham to be seen, on top, or indeed, inside the said sandwich! Clearly there has been an error, and once a complaint had been lodged this was soon rectified, and a new sandwich was delivered to our table. There were still two thick slices of bread arranged as a sandwich, with cheese melted on the top slice, but this time there was also a reasonable portion of ham secreted between the thick slices of bread. I had a bite and it was pretty good. Was this a Toasted Ham and Cheese Sandwich or was it a toasted ham sandwich with cheese melted on the top? And what happened to the ham initially I wonder?

You have just wasted approximately sixty seconds reading this, while I spent a good deal longer writing this.
      That is quite clearly a CROQUE MONSIEUR ....... damn French again
      Last edited by Vinyl Richie; 04-03-2004 at 10:55.
      "Who gives a monkey's what 50 people want? Save a couple of toads and a few weeds? Give them a new stadium Mr Prescott" - Gordan Strachan, 30th May 2004, 1-0 the Albion, *to the tune of tom hark* "dur-ur-dur-dur-ur, dur-ur-dur-dur-ur, you're going to Torquay, we're going to Leeds!" season.

0 Not allowed!
      This thread angers me.
      NEW SCHTUMMCAST. MORE VIBES AVAILABLE HERE >>>>>> http://soundcloud.com/schtumm/schtum...0-neal-schtumm

0 Not allowed!
      It'a a toughie alright. The traditionalist in me concurs with the majority, a cheese roll should contain cheese. The cheese should be a vital part of the roll, not merely an afterthought. Cheese deserves better.

I'll take a biscuit for example. Namely, the trusty hobnob.

It's a hobnob, simple, oaty, sugary, golden hobnob biscuit.

Cover it in chocolate and what do you get? A chocolate biscuit with an oaty filling? No. It's still a hobnob, just with chocolate coating.

Thus to be a cheese roll, the cheese needs to be the main constituent part of the roll. To be coated or topped is not sufficient. Cheese is central to the cheese roll and should not be considered anything but.

0 Not allowed!
      No, it's definetely a cheese topped bap. And the interesting thing about these tempting snacks is that the supermarkets charge 100% more than a normal bap by sprinkling with a miserly portion of grated cheese and melting it slightly.

0 Not allowed!
      I can't believe he's brought this up again today.

He truly is a freak.

0 Not allowed!
      I must just say I have had a cheese topped bap from Asda - and very nice it was too with a spread of butter.

Also notice they are doing cheese topped baguettes in a twin pack for the more hungry amongst us.
      Punxsatawney Phil Curious Orange's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Sausage Rolls, a food you eat with your fingers, a sausage wrapped in pastry, ceases to be a sausage roll once you stop wrapping said sausage in said pastry (sausage on top of pastry is a flan, and whoever has heard of a pastry wrapped in sausage!!). The same rule applies to the humble cheese roll. Melt some cheese on top of a bap and the bap suddenly has more in common with cheese on toast than a cheese roll.
      When Steve McQueen met The Blob, he tried to kill it. It probably never crossed his mind to try and take it out to a restaurant.