Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cheese roll or not a cheese roll

Can a cheese top bap, not sliced and with no filling be classified as a cheese roll?

• Word! Dynamic G has it dead straight. It is a Cheese roll.

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • A cheese roll? He's having a laugh.

Votes: 70 89.7%

• Total voters

Vinyl Richie

Jul 30, 2003
Polling North Standers
blagdon said:
OK then, as you are still clearly not convinced I have just one last thing to say on this topic.

Imagine if you will that you have two items of food in front of you. One of them is a plain bread roll and the other is a slice of cheese. If you sliced the bread roll open and put the cheese inside before eating it I think we have all agreed that you will have just eaten a cheese roll. Correct?

If however you decided to place the slice of cheese on top of the roll before eating it are you saying that you have not just eaten a cheese roll?

Also, are you saying that by grating, melting or doing anything else to the cheese before putting it in the middle of or on top of the roll this changes the fact that you will have eaten a cheese roll?

I win. Thankyou.

yeah but if I put the bread and cheese in a blender and blended it good before eating/drinking the mush then that wouldn't be a cheese roll....that would be bread and cheese mush (obviously).

it's all in the way it's prepared

blagdon

Word! Dynamic to the G
Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
Vinyl Richie said:
yeah but if I put the bread and cheese in a blender and blended it good before eating/drinking the mush then that wouldn't be a cheese roll....that would be bread and cheese mush (obviously).

it's all in the way it's prepared

I agree with you but I didn't mention anything about the bread being mashed up which would obviously mean that it is no longer in roll form.

My point relates purely to the cheese element of this concoction being applied into or onto a roll (which is still in it's original roll form).

Your analagy is quite frankly way off base.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Lush said:
How can you eat it plain though? Urrrgh. It just takes all the moisture out of your mouth.
.............................Nah, I'll leave it.

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
Well I just came back from lunch at Marks and Sparks (Holmbush). I ordered, received and comsumed a bowl of carrot and corainder soup, together with a roll peppered with pumpkin seeds. My partner however, ordered a Toasted Ham and Cheese Sandwich. She was given a little flag with the number 8 on it. Two minutes later the little flag was swapped for two thick slices of bread arranged as a sandwich, with cheese melted on the top slice. Upon further inspection we concluded that amazingly there was not one scrap of ham to be seen, on top, or indeed, inside the said sandwich! Clearly there has been an error, and once a complaint had been lodged this was soon rectified, and a new sandwich was delivered to our table. There were still two thick slices of bread arranged as a sandwich, with cheese melted on the top slice, but this time there was also a reasonable portion of ham secreted between the thick slices of bread. I had a bite and it was pretty good. Was this a Toasted Ham and Cheese Sandwich or was it a toasted ham sandwich with cheese melted on the top? And what happened to the ham initially I wonder?

You have just wasted approximately sixty seconds reading this, while I spent a good deal longer writing this.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Deano's Right Foot said:
You have just wasted approximately sixty seconds reading this, while I spent a good deal longer writing this.
In the immortal words of Hans Moleman: "You stole sixty seconds of my life, and I want them back........bahh, I'd only waste it anyway".

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Deano's Right Foot said:
Well I just came back from lunch at Marks and Sparks (Holmbush). I ordered, received and comsumed a bowl of carrot and corainder soup, together with a roll peppered with pumpkin seeds. My partner however, ordered a Toasted Ham and Cheese Sandwich. She was given a little flag with the number 8 on it. Two minutes later the little flag was swapped for two thick slices of bread arranged as a sandwich, with cheese melted on the top slice. Upon further inspection we concluded that amazingly there was not one scrap of ham to be seen, on top, or indeed, inside the said sandwich! Clearly there has been an error, and once a complaint had been lodged this was soon rectified, and a new sandwich was delivered to our table. There were still two thick slices of bread arranged as a sandwich, with cheese melted on the top slice, but this time there was also a reasonable portion of ham secreted between the thick slices of bread. I had a bite and it was pretty good. Was this a Toasted Ham and Cheese Sandwich or was it a toasted ham sandwich with cheese melted on the top? And what happened to the ham initially I wonder?

Bizarre and could be tricky to eat. Unless it's designed to be eaten with a knife and fork. And that's just not the point of a sandwich.

Withnail

Jan 16, 2004
Lincoln
It's a bap and not a roll for one thing. For rolls go to Forfars, for baps see page 3 of The Sun.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Easy 10 said:
In the immortal words of Hans Moleman: "You stole sixty seconds of my life, and I want them back........bahh, I'd only waste it anyway".

As always, the answers to all of life's really important questions can be found in the form of Simpsons quotes

Vinyl Richie

Jul 30, 2003
Polling North Standers
Deano's Right Foot said:

That is quite clearly a CROQUE MONSIEUR ....... damn French again

Last edited:

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
It'a a toughie alright. The traditionalist in me concurs with the majority, a cheese roll should contain cheese. The cheese should be a vital part of the roll, not merely an afterthought. Cheese deserves better.

I'll take a biscuit for example. Namely, the trusty hobnob.

It's a hobnob, simple, oaty, sugary, golden hobnob biscuit.

Cover it in chocolate and what do you get? A chocolate biscuit with an oaty filling? No. It's still a hobnob, just with chocolate coating.

Thus to be a cheese roll, the cheese needs to be the main constituent part of the roll. To be coated or topped is not sufficient. Cheese is central to the cheese roll and should not be considered anything but.

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
No, it's definetely a cheese topped bap. And the interesting thing about these tempting snacks is that the supermarkets charge 100% more than a normal bap by sprinkling with a miserly portion of grated cheese and melting it slightly.

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
I must just say I have had a cheese topped bap from Asda - and very nice it was too with a spread of butter.

Also notice they are doing cheese topped baguettes in a twin pack for the more hungry amongst us.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Sausage Rolls, a food you eat with your fingers, a sausage wrapped in pastry, ceases to be a sausage roll once you stop wrapping said sausage in said pastry (sausage on top of pastry is a flan, and whoever has heard of a pastry wrapped in sausage!!). The same rule applies to the humble cheese roll. Melt some cheese on top of a bap and the bap suddenly has more in common with cheese on toast than a cheese roll.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here