Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cheese roll or not a cheese roll

Can a cheese top bap, not sliced and with no filling be classified as a cheese roll?

• Word! Dynamic G has it dead straight. It is a Cheese roll.

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • A cheese roll? He's having a laugh.

Votes: 70 89.7%

• Total voters

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Bozza said:
According to the Sainsbury packet - the cheese in question is 'Mature Cheddar'.

I think that comes as a relief to us all. The last thing we needed was for it to be cottage cheese as that would have thrown up a real can of worms.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Bozza said:
Surely a cheese and tomato roll?

That would be my first choice but if not available then a cheese roll with sliced cheese in the middle would come a close second.

Is it organic or vegetarian cheese?

Vinyl Richie

Jul 30, 2003
Polling North Standers
I voted not cheese roll but I want it changed. It's BLATENTLY a cheese roll.

Cheese (chedder flavour) + bread (roll variety) = cheese roll.....simple.

wait I've changed my mind...there's no butter/marg in said "cheese roll". It's a fake, it's just a relative of cheese on toast!!!! :ohmy:

blagdon

Word! Dynamic to the G
Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
So why are Cheese topped baps sold as Cheese topped baps and not cheese rolls?

It's so the major food retail outlets can scam us out of more money by selling us the same bloody thing in two separate guises. I see that they have brainwashed you already!!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
For it to be a cheese roll wouldn't it have to be at least 5% of cheese?

The ingredients have to be listed in order of quantity so the word cheese should not come first

Roll with a hint of cheese may be a better description. Has anyone reported this travesty to Trading Standards?

;)

blagdon

Word! Dynamic to the G
Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
Meade's_Ball said:
I think the melting changes the status.
I think you could call it a cheesy roll. But not a cheese roll. Thats just dumb.

So would melted cheese inside of the roll constitute a cheese roll then? Of course it would. The consistency of the cheese bears no relation to whether it is a cheese roll or not.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
blagdon said:
So would melted cheese inside of the roll constitute a cheese roll then? Of course it would. The consistency of the cheese bears no relation to whether it is a cheese roll or not.

Melting the cheese makes it part of the roll and therefore a cheesey roll, a cheese roll is clearly something you make, not something that already exists.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Clearly, your piece of bread is riding on the gloried coat-tails of the cheese roll, trying to gain some of its prestige. The cheese roll has spent centuries bilding up its name. Don't let this over-sized crumb ruin it all now.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Look, this is clearly NOT a cheese roll.
If I sat down in a pub and ordered a cheese roll, and all they brought me over was empty roll with a cheesy flavoured top, then I'm sorry, but something untoward would happen. My protests would rise steadily in volume until my culinary concerns were addressed in full by the arrival of some cheese SLICES for said roll. In the event of no cheese arriving, I would either get my money back, or cause some form of damage to the establishment to recompense my grievance.

A <something> roll always, always refers to the filling, never the topping. What kind of world are we living in when rolls are described by their topping and not their filling ? Madness, complete madness.

blagdon

Word! Dynamic to the G
Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
OK then, as you are still clearly not convinced I have just one last thing to say on this topic.

Imagine if you will that you have two items of food in front of you. One of them is a plain bread roll and the other is a slice of cheese. If you sliced the bread roll open and put the cheese inside before eating it I think we have all agreed that you will have just eaten a cheese roll. Correct?

If however you decided to place the slice of cheese on top of the roll before eating it are you saying that you have not just eaten a cheese roll?

Also, are you saying that by grating, melting or doing anything else to the cheese before putting it in the middle of or on top of the roll this changes the fact that you will have eaten a cheese roll?

I win. Thankyou.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Cheese on Toast .......................... is exactly that. It isn't a sandwich.

Cheese on a Roll ........................ is also exactly that.

Cheese Rolls have cheese in them. And if there are other fillings they it will say so.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here