Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace or bust for franchise

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
Crystal Palace owner Simon Jordan holds the key to whether Wimbledon FC will be allowed to play in the Football League next season.

Their fate lies in the hands of a rival chairman after the hockey authorities pulled the plug on their plans to kick off 2003-04 in Milton Keynes.

Wimbledon FC issued a statement last Friday claiming they would be at Selhurst Park, which they have shared since 1991, next season.

But after hearing that chairman Charles Koppel had approached other clubs about possible groundshares, the Football League wrote to Wimbledon FC asking for clarification of where they intend to play.

Spokesman Ian Christen said: “They have permission to play in Milton Keynes and Selhurst Park and nowhere else. We hope the matter will be resolved sooner rather than later.” The proposed move to the National Hockey Stadium broke down after the club went into administration.

That led to the club’s statement that they intended to fulfil their fixtures at Selhurst Park.

It was followed by counter-claims from Palace, whose chief executive Phil Alexander said: “We have had no contact whatsoever with representatives from either Wimbledon Football Club or their administrators.

“As far as Crystal Palace Football Club is concerned Wimbledon FC will not be playing at Selhurst Park.

“We have arranged for our reserves to play here for the new season and there will be some fixtures that will clash if Wimbledon want to play here.” Trevor Phillips, spokesman for Wimbledon FC’s administrators Grant Thornton, yesterday told the News: “We stand by the statement we released and we are looking to start the season at Selhurst Park.

“I am not sure why Crystal Palace made their statement because everything is going to plan at the moment.” Mr Jordan has still to make a public comment on whether Wimbledon FC will be allowed to share Selhurst Park next season.

He was away in Spain when the News tried to contact him yesterday, but Palace insiders say he is aware of the declarations coming from the Wimbledon FC camp.

Jordan is facing inside pressures to reject his former tenants’ approaches.

Palace manager Steve Kember this week spoke of the benefits of no longer sharing their pitch.

“Assuming Wimbledon don’t come back, the reserves will play eight or nine home games there, but it means the pitch won’t get too much wear and tear,” he said.

“We will be looking for a good quick surface to play on. Hopefully it will be a lot better all season.” Wimbledon manager Stewart Murdoch said: “After the Wimbledon News slaughtered us last season and didn’t want to talk to us, I don’t see why I should talk to you now.”

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
How much did Wimbledon pay to groundshare and is the decision Jordan's seeing as Noades owns the ground?

nutter

Jul 6, 2003
Brighton
I think Palace should'nt let franchise football have a place in our game.I hate Palace but I think Wimbledon should go extinct and AFC wimbledon should take their predesseors place in the football league but start in div 3 next season.Hows that sound?

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
well, we'll need to make up the numbers, i mean, Oldham for a start are pretty f***ed, and if wimbledon go the same way, we'll be 2 short, how about for irony readmitting aldershot+accrington stanley, the 2 most memorable bankrupties in football, who are now in the conference:clap2:

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
Icy Gull said:
How much did Wimbledon pay to groundshare and is the decision Jordan's seeing as Noades owns the ground?

£600,000
palace may take neil shipperley as payment for the years rent as the dons are skint
palace pay noals whatever we sub let to the dons

the problem is that the league fixtures are all ready out and palace reserves were also playing at selhurst this season

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
It would be nice to see ex-Wimbledon go out of business, but you would expect to make the most out of the situation, if they thought they could get any money out of it.

But with ex-Wimbledon in administration, I doubt they can commit to paying much money. So, hopefully out of business they go.

Fluffster

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham
This is perhaps the only time i'd want to see another football club go out of business, except from maybe Palace... or Cardiff... or Pompey... hmm...
;)
f*** Franchise FC.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here