Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ikea (Croydon) on Saturday mornings - Hell on Earth?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Aiming to get there for 9am. Will it be horrible? Need to get back for the game obviously. Would we be cutting it fine?

:shrug:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
We were there a few Saturdays ago, it's pretty empty in the mornings. I had to queue all of two minutes to get out. If you're only buying a few things, I'd say you could easily be in and out within 45 minutes and probably less.

If you're unsure about the traffic, the train's pretty painless too - we did it from Brighton station to inside Ikea in under an hour but obviously that's not an option if you're getting bulky stuff

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The best tactic for the Bristol Ikea at weekends is ensure you're parked up before opening time - there might well be a small queue of fellow shoppers there too.

Get in, pick up what you want, don't linger and head straight to the tills - you should be in and out in no time before the madness really begins.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
In the morning its not too bad at all. The secret is to know what you want, then get f*ck out of there. You'll be fine.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
A breeze!! :p

money-graphics-2008_868960a.jpg

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
If you know what you're getting, enter through the exit to save time. :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In the morning its not too bad at all. The secret is to know what you want, then get f*ck out of there. You'll be fine.
Is the right answer.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
We go to the one at Lakeside instead, a bit further to drive but it means you don't have to drive up Purley way and all the traffic around there getting in and out.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
The best tactic for the Bristol Ikea at weekends is ensure you're parked up before opening time - there might well be a small queue of fellow shoppers there too.

Get in, pick up what you want, don't linger and head straight to the tills - you should be in and out in no time before the madness really begins.

You are a man of common sense.

My other half like to spend hours browsing around Wednesbury ikea. It drives me mad, it is always busy and I can't enjoy being pushed around by posessed women looking for the perfect tv stand/bean bag/tacky rug.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Now there are so many of them, Ikea is not nearly so HELLISH as it was ten years back, anyway.

The Southampton one is almost RELAXED, to be honest.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Horrible place, useless ignorant staff and horrible to get to, I would rather junk our kitchen units (previous house owners I hasten to add) & start again than give them any more of my hard earned...:mad:

Agree about going in through the exit rather than (adopts Muppet Show Chef accent) 'followings the yellow brik road' past all the 'Sven' stools and 'Dagmar' tables. I would normally ask WTF that is all about (back to ranty GB voice) except I know it is to make you view all of their varied items of tat in the hope you decide you can't live without some of them.

ironacton

Jul 14, 2009
All Ikeas are hell on earth. Crappy cheap goods, ignorant staff, heaving with chavs... Having beent o the Ikea in Croydon and experiencing long queues I think you might be cutting it fine this saturday. Don't go ... ever

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I've been to three of them - Croydon, Southampton and Bristol.

Southampton in West Quay is by far the best of them - it's massive and rarely gets as crowded as the other two. I think it's on 3 floors (not two) but you have to pay parking (which you are refunded if you spend £20 or more).

Wozza's exit entrance tip is handy at Croydon. I don't mind the Croydon one, but well worth avoiding at peak times, if only to avoid the absurd levels of congestion on Purley Way.

And as for Bristol, it's so horrible in pretty much every way, I'll never go to that one again.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I've been to three of them - Croydon, Southampton and Bristol.

Southampton in West Quay is by far the best of them - it's massive and rarely gets as crowded as the other two. I think it's on 3 floors (not two) but you have to pay parking (which you are refunded if you spend £20 or more).

Wozza's exit entrance tip is handy at Croydon. I don't mind the Croydon one, but well worth avoiding at peak times, if only to avoid the absurd levels of congestion on Purley Way.

And as for Bristol, it's so horrible in pretty much every way, I'll never go to that one again.

I've been to those three, AND Wednesbury, AND Warrington, AND Brent Cross :rolleyes:

Brent Cross is by far the worst. Much more hellish than Bristol.

By the way - don't EVER pay for parking at West Quay, even if your spend is <£20. Just go through the self service check-outs, where they have ticket validation machines you do yourself.

In fact we park there for the main West Quay shops, when we are not even going to Ikea. Walk in the exit, validate the car park ticket, and away. :thumbsup:

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
They are all hell because theres parents of toddlers who seem to think I should find their offsprings antics adoreable, running around and getting under peoples feet.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
They are all hell because theres parents of toddlers who seem to think I should find their offsprings antics adoreable, running around and getting under peoples feet.

Oh no, that's one thing that Ikea does get right. It has a supervised creche so that kids can be left. We took our kids with us as we were buying stuff for their room and they were miffed they weren't left with the other kids. It's the most family friendly store I've ever been to - wish more followed the Ikea model.

Always thought that women's clothes and shoe shops should have a man creche so that blokes who are being dragged around the stores can sit down and watch sport or read mags while women try on clothes to their hearts' content.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Thinking about it, I have come to the conclusion that ikea is one of the things that brings out the worst in the British people. Ikea, and the next sale.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here