Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ikea coming to Brighton (possibly)

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
Searched the forums and couldn't find anything on this. (Apologies if I've had a 'man's look' and looked straight past it).

Does anyone know any more about this after the Argus article?

Ikea looks at Brighton sites From The Argus)

Any truth in the rumour that the reason the Argus 'found out' was because they enquired about their Hollingbury site??!!!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
would be great for jobs. but im not sure there is anywhere big enough, assuming they build somthing similar size to Croydon or Wembley. would be like having another Asda at Hollingbury.

They are a traffic nightmare too, drawing thousands, would be better at a dedicated site further down the A27. maybe near Shoreham airport?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
isn't there a ploughed field near Falmer?

i thought thats where the hotel was going

they would be MUCH better off having it in crawley. i bloody hope it happens, its a long old poke if you fancy a hotdog or meatballs at the minute

Sep 30, 2006
Up in the Gods
Don't know how true it is, but I heard a rumour that Ikea had acquired the Greyhound Stadium? Some comments posted on the on-line Argus story also mentioned it.

Be good to get a store nearer than Crawley though. I would've thought Ikea would consider Crawley too near Croydon anyway??

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
If you read further into the story it says that Crawley is more likely to get any new Ikea store. Brightons problem is that it's not very amenable to any development. You can imagine the fuss that will be kicked up, wherever in the city it is proposed.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Don't know how true it is, but I heard a rumour that Ikea had acquired the Greyhound Stadium? Some comments posted on the on-line Argus story also mentioned it.

suggestions of the greyhound stadium are a tad comical. i also saw a suggestion for the Shoreham harbour or off the A259. anywhere unsuitable for a stadium will be unsuitable for Ikea, they are about the same size and the same traffic issues, only worse as they are open all weekend, every week. i'd have thought Brighton and Hove residents would be a little more clued up on such matters.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Sheepcote Valley anyone ?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Looks like IKEA is no longer coming to Monks Farm

Jan135

Feb 25, 2022
I used to work a warehouse job there. It wasn't a fun job, but the salary was allright and they fed us for free two times per day.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here