Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

5 a side tactics

Football_Friends

Aug 18, 2010
Oooop North.....Manchester
It's our 3rd game of our first full season tomorrow, and after 2 drubbings of 9-5 and 11-3 against teams who don't have as good players as us I'm starting to think the tactics involved are alot more important than we think.

We played the last part of the summer league and tried playin 2 at the back and 2 up top but it didn't really work, the pitch is that small that everyone pushed forward and tracked back so we tried playing this year with free form formations filling in the gaps. (it's the cage type pitches with really wide nets btw)

Has anyone else had similar issues?? Is it just something that'll come with time playing together or do most teams have stricter formations and tactics?? Iv even resorted to blaming the boots and buying new ones!! Bad work man n all.....ha

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
just make sure you have one person to stand at the back. as long as everyone else gets up and down you'll be alright

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
It comes with time mainly. Try to play wide and use the width of the pitch making sure that you play the ball across the face of goal and make back post runs. Playing narrow is easy to defend against.

Counter attacking is KEY.

Defensively try not to commit to tackles and keep yourself between the ball and the goal at all times.

Jimmy Grimble

It should come with time if you're all good players. Eventually you'll all merge into specific positions when you start to click.

We used to play something like.

One out-and-out defender
One defender who would go forward when the time was right
One midfielder who would work up and down the pitch and generally be the middle man looking for possession
One midfielder who would play a similar role but not track back as often and play a bit higher up the pitch
One out-and-out striker who would always be the outlet

We came second in the strongest Pitch Invasion league playing similarly to this, although while we had 'positions' we were very fluid which is important. And as Chapppers says, counter attacking is key as it normally provides you with your best chances to score.

Last edited:

GYM

Jan 4, 2010
Leeds
It comes with time mainly. Try to play wide and use the width of the pitch making sure that you play the ball across the face of goal and make back post runs. Playing narrow is easy to defend against.

Defensively try not to commit to tackles and keep yourself between the ball and the goal at all times.

This.

Im not a defender at all but find myself being a fairly decent 5 a-side defender by just staying close and goal side. Attackers then find themselves in the corner with nowhere to go.

GYM

Jan 4, 2010
Leeds
It should come with time if you're all good players. Eventually you'll all merge into specific positions when you start to click.

We used to play something like.

One out-and-out defender
One defender who would go forward when the time was right
One midfielder who would work up and down the pitch and generally be the middle man looking for possession
One midfielder who would play a a similar role but not track back as often and play a bit higher up the pitch
One out-and-out striker who would always be the outlet

How did you play with 6 players??????:lol:

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
i think scotty mac has it spot on there that how we play,we have been playing as a team a couple off years now and are all in our late 30's no world beaters just average players but we play as a team and have given a few youngsters with a lot more ability than us the run around

cant wait for the next game on thursday,may be a few injuries as most off the team are argyle fans :laugh:

Jimmy Grimble

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Good advice.

It's all about knowing how to use the space when you've got the ball, and denying the other team space when you haven't. You can't be too regimented in the positions but as a starting point I'd have one back, one front, one left and one right.

Last time I played was a few months back helping out my mates team when they were short, with one other ringer who I used to play with at southdown. We played some young kiddies who were top of the league and hadn't lost a game. We destoyed them 4-0 by shutting them down quickly but not commiting to the tackle, you just show them where you want them to go. When we did have the ball it was just a case of using the space properly to hit them on the break. They probably had the ball 70% of the time but couldn't get behind us.

Football_Friends

Aug 18, 2010
Oooop North.....Manchester
The 11-3 was very flattering for them, we played some nice football and suddeny were 3 down in 5 mins with some awful reffing and 2 very stuffy goals. Our heads dropped an the rest is history. The back post balls from the wings are a no because you can't enter the boxes and they're pretty big.

I probably should add I play 6 a side too, on a bigger pitch with smaller goals and were unbeaten so far. Its alot easier to play formations and know ur roles. I suppose my question is specific to the smaller pitches with boards around and wide nets where the gameplay is alot faster.

2 of our team are great players who used to play for the Ireland youth team before moving here, and although our subs aren't great I know we have enough quality to beat most teams....somethings just missing

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Just won our latest 10-match season, with 8 wins and 2 draws, conceding just 7 goals in the process.

Those suggesting counter-attack are bang on. We effectively play the whole game in our own half. That way, when you release a ball to your attackers, they have space to run onto it. Push too far forward, and the keeper just sweeps up every through ball.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
depends what you class as 'good players' as you dont need more than 2 'skilful' players as they are just luxury items. its all about quick passing and high levels of fitness.

all you need is at least 1 dedicated defender, use 2 as 'wing' backs (the fittest players in the team) who join the attack but also track back and defend, then your 'luxury' item at the top, that sometimes tracks back, but should be the main goal threat.

we played 6 a side at uni (so just add another player in the middle to the above) and from 2nd year onward were one of the better of the teams about

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here