Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brian Powney,Albion goalkeeping legend?

getz

Jan 15, 2010
For all you old enough to remember that far back.Brian Powney seems to be the forgotten man of Albion goalkeepers. In my opinion he was one of the finest keepers I can remember, but he is never mentioned in the same breathe as the more popular Grummitt, Sidebottom,Steele and Kuipers. Why?

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
For all you old enough to remember that far back.Brian Powney seems to be the forgotten man of Albion goalkeepers. In my opinion he was one of the finest keepers I can remember, but he is never mentioned in the same breathe as the more popular Grummitt, Sidebottom,Steele and Kuipers. Why?
Probably because only a few of us are old enough to remember him.
BTW I agree with you regarding his goalkeeping ability, he was a great keeper.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Bit of a short arse though wasn`t he ?

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I remember him and I think he played near 400 games so I agree he should be remembered.

When i started watching Albion, it was between him and Tony Burns for the number 1. Later geoff Sidebottam became his opposition.

Brian powney was one of those culled by Clough & Taylor. it didn't help that he was in Albion's goal on that horrific week when we conceeded 12 goals at home in 2 matches.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Wasn't Brian Powney featured in a programme last season, and he basically refused to talk about Clough, who he said he didn't like as a man (or a person, one of the two!).

Incidentally, I was talking to an old chap the other day about the Albion and I was asking him who the best players he's seen play for us were, he mentioned Powney. As did my grandad, before his passing. So I get the impression he was greatly respected and I would disagree that he's a forgotten man.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He played in 1 game, against Charlton I think, when 1 sub was allowed and we had a shortage of players due to flu so Tony Burns was named as the sub. The plan was if somebody went off injured Burns was going to come on and go in goal and Powney was going to play out on the field.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In fairness to him he spent a lot of the time against Walton & Hersham just in our half trying to push us to get an equalising goal as we were losing and only succeeded in getting caught out and so we conceeded another goal and it just got worse.

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
I remember him and I think he played near 400 games so I agree he should be remembered.

When i started watching Albion, it was between him and Tony Burns for the number 1. Later geoff Sidebottam became his opposition.
Surely it was Powney and Sidebottam (till Sidebottame got injured against wallsall(kicked in the head twice in the league cup replay,at least once his head was kicked against the post) and after,Burns who was truely shit,shit enough to sign for palarse and concede 9 against Manure)
Powney was a great keeper for a stumpy bloke,a shot stopper,better than Kuipers with none of the playing up to the fans that Kuipers is famous for.
Sidebottame was a suicidally brave keeper in a league full of cloggers.The dirtiest of all being Wallsall.
Burns was shite.Shite in a Kuipers-it aint my fault the defence diddn't/ done it-sort of way

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Powney was a typical 3rd Div keeper. Good enough, but wouldn't have cut it at a higher level.
But a top bloke in my view. In the 60's, I was in the 30th Brighton cubs & scouts at Patcham. Powney used to come each year to the annual fete where a goal would be set up and for a couple of pennies anyone could take penalties against him. Can't imagine today's keepers putting in that sort of service in the community although maybe Kuipers?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Eric Gill was another of our great old keepers. He was a mate of my dad and grandad when we lived in Brighton. He had a hotel on the front, near the bottom of Lower Rock Gardens when he retired from football. Does anyone know if he's still alive, he must be knocking on a bit now if he is?

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
Powney was quality,Steele a poser and Grummitt a miserable bastard who wasn't much taller than Powney.Moseley was a total pisshead and Digweed liked the ladies too much.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Brian Powney was an excellent keeper.So was Eric Gill.And don't forget Dave Hollins whose career with us was shortish because we sold him to Newcastle.

It's true Powney was quite short for a keeper,but he was brave and had excellent reflexes,and supporters worried when he was injured and somebody else,though taller,had to play.

because he was small and emptied our bins when we lived in seaford:thumbsup:

Eric Gill was another of our great old keepers. He was a mate of my dad and grandad when we lived in Brighton. He had a hotel on the front, near the bottom of Lower Rock Gardens when he retired from football. Does anyone know if he's still alive, he must be knocking on a bit now if he is?

son still drives round in a van with gill on the side(plasterer) did our loft conversion,not sure about eric:bowdown:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Powney was goalie when I first started watching Brighton.Very reliable solid keeper...excellent servant to the club.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Surely it was Powney and Sidebottam (till Sidebottame got injured against wallsall(kicked in the head twice in the league cup replay,at least once his head was kicked against the post) and after,Burns who was truely shit,shit enough to sign for palarse and concede 9 against Manure)
Powney was a great keeper for a stumpy bloke,a shot stopper,better than Kuipers with none of the playing up to the fans that Kuipers is famous for.
Sidebottame was a suicidally brave keeper in a league full of cloggers.The dirtiest of all being Wallsall.
Burns was shite.Shite in a Kuipers-it aint my fault the defence diddn't/ done it-sort of way

No he didn't.

Mar 24, 2010
Tunbridge Wells
I remember one of the first times I ever saw the Albion, it may have been against Torquay in 72/73, I was convinced Brian Powney headed out a clearance, none of the people around me seemed to agree. This would have been unheard of at the time. Anybody with enough candles on their cake recall this happening????

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here