Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

442 dead?

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
just started the new sunday league season and have noticed none of the teams we have played are using the 442 formation. anyone else think it may get used less and less? big teams like chelsea, arsenal and barca dont use it to great affect.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I think Sunday League managers see it on Match of the day and try to be creative and copy the formations on a Sunday.

4-4-2 is the best formation for that level, maybe mixing it up with an extra striker or midfielder every now and then, but the basics should stay the same

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
i should imagine 70% of sunday pub sides and saturday village sides DO use 4-4-2 but agree it is becoming less popular

olliwarne

Aug 12, 2010
Germany
yes ...i would say it is dead too.
in 4-5-1 the formation changes when defending and when attacking usually (it does in my team)
when defending you play with 5 defenders in a 5-3-1system and quickly change to 3-5-2 when attacking ...thats how we play it anyways

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
I think Sunday League managers see it on Match of the day and try to be creative and copy the formations on a Sunday.

4-4-2 is the best formation for that level, maybe mixing it up with an extra striker or midfielder every now and then, but the basics should stay the same

sunday league footy is usally won is the middle of the park. if you have got 2 or 3 good centre mids, its easy to win.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
442 was the formation that people grow up with and is the easiest wa to play when you get older.

If you have a team of players that have a bit of Football intellegence then you can play different formations but the majority of pub sides dont. (thats not disrespect to them)

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
442 was the formation that people grow up with and is the easiest wa to play when you get older.

If you have a team of players that have a bit of Football intellegence then you can play different formations but the majority of pub sides dont. (thats not disrespect to them)

agree in a way. teams like barca and arsenal play such good football with 433 i can just seeing the "old" 442 fading out.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
agree in a way. teams like barca and arsenal play such good football with 433 i can just seeing the "old" 442 fading out.

The likes of Fabregas and Messi are slightly better then the average Sunday League Footballer, infact there better than the best Sunday League Footballers!

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
how can you tell?! normally i struggle to concentrate on walking on a sunday morning, let alone on what formation people are in!

Laughing Gravy

I'm a ****
Jan 8, 2010
In my bungalow
Just a quick question.

How many divisions are there now.
I think there use to be 15 when i first played in the late 70s. I dont think there is anywhere near that many now. Almost every pub had a side meeting up at 0930 of a Sunday morning.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I thought it was about magazine sales dropping

So did I

I remember a game where our manager had the bright idea of playing a sort of sweeper in front of the defence (I think Germany used the formation at the time), a bit like a holding midfielder but further back. I got moved out of defence to play there and we were three down by half-time.

I do think players of that sort of level so struggle with subtlety and strange formations - 442 is as much as they can cope with.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here