Official Running Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
What race is it ?

Bladders are a bit rubbish.....and why would you need 2L anyway ? That’s enough for at least 3-4 hours at this time of year......are there any aid stations on your planned race ? I used to use a camelbak but wouldn’t revert to a backpack bladder now - vests that have ‘bitty bottles’ (ie on the front) are much more comfortable and much easier to fill (and the water doesn’t warm up to body temperature almost immediately like it does in a bladder), plus pockets to the side for gels etc that you can access easily without taking it off. All that goes in the main backpack bit for me is spare clothing, foil blanket and any other stuff I’m less likely to need to use.

I’ve got a couple if you want to try one out......let me know.

Something like this is easily big enough for all the kit needed for a 100 miler. Bottles hold 500ml each.

https://www.salomon.com/en-gb/shop-...ggJEAQYASABEgK_-PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#848=10583

....is of course the correct answer

Yeah Beachy is fine - carry a bottle but you won’t need much else. Plenty en route (usually mars bars, bananas, biscuits and then of course the infamous buns and sausage rolls, with tea, at Littlington [emoji14][emoji14])

Most packs (Salomon, UD etc) have whistles attached (I don’t know anyone who’s ever used one on a race). The two bottles on the front are 500ml each.

I've had a look at that Saloman one now. It looks MUCH better than what I got. It's also £100 more expensive so I think I can see where I went wrong :lolol:

Aid station treats and bottle for me at BH. I will ask Father Christmas for the Saloman so I can be fully prepared for my first Ultra.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Firstly, thank you to North Stand Chat for letting us post in this thread.

Most of you will hopefully know a bit about the work we do at Albion in the Community. In the last year we worked with around 46,000 people and now run 60 different local projects across Sussex, mainly aimed at helping people of all ages get active, improve their health and wellbeing, and raising academic achievement and improving people's future prospects.

Much of what we do is only possible as a result of our supporters and the donations we receive, and fundraising is incredibly important to the charity.

We are very fortunate to benefit from Albion fans taking on challenges for us - particularly running ones.

We currently have charity places available for the BM10K, Brighton Half Marathon, and Brighton Marathon, and thought they may be of interest to some people on this thread.

If you would like to take up one of our places, you can do so on the links below.

BM10K - registration is free if you commit to raising £100.

Brighton Half Marathon - registration is £25 if you commit to raising £200.

Brighton Marathon - registration is £25 if you commit to raising £400.

Or, if you already have a place on a running event but would like to raise money for Albion in the Community, drop us a message.

I will happily run the Brighton Half for AITC IF I can run as Gully. :thumbsup:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've had a look at that Saloman one now. It looks MUCH better than what I got. It's also £100 more expensive so I think I can see where I went wrong :lolol:

Aid station treats and bottle for me at BH. I will ask Father Christmas for the Saloman so I can be fully prepared for my first Ultra.

Good plan.......if you want to try one out first let me know, welcome to borrow one of mine.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Final pace session for me today in preparation for The Showdown (if Sky were broadcasting it, you know they'd have a phrase on repeat!), 5 x 1 miles along the seafront between the Peace Statue and Shoreham Powerstation.

6:28, 6:28, 6:13, 6:07, 5:56 (arguably, the last was significantly wind assisted!)

There was a slightly longer gap between reps 4 and 5 due to the requirement for a quick WC visit (that will be obvious from the map when I upload the Strava event later :lolol: ) but I felt pretty good after the final rep. 2 minute slow jog between each rep instead of a full period of rest and I feel like I'm ready to battle the Nuts.

I'm debating whether to use a flat parkrun on saturday to practice pacing at intended 10k pace, or take it far easier. I'm thinking about getting out to Littlehampton for theirs, nice Promenade course and keeps me away from the 10k course for the sunday.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Yep, I've got one of the Saloman ones with more pockets you can shake a stick at! I got it for Moyleman the year after I'd run Beachy. As Dazzer says, there are plenty of stops en route to get water, food, etc.

You'll be fine...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yep, I've got one of the Saloman ones with more pockets you can shake a stick at! I got it for Moyleman the year after I'd run Beachy. As Dazzer says, there are plenty of stops en route to get water, food, etc.

You'll be fine...

Talking of which, Moyleman SOLD OUT in 12 hours on Monday. It’s the run everyone now wants to do.

Not only have we ticked it off but we did it the brutal year with the Beast from the East. True NSC trendsetters, apart from Dazzer , of course, who did it earlier and faster

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Talking of which, Moyleman SOLD OUT in 12 hours on Monday. It’s the run everyone now wants to do.

Not only have we ticked it off but we did it the brutal year with the Beast from the East. True NSC trendsetters, apart from Dazzer , of course, who did it earlier and faster

I know – I bloody love that race and wasn't surprised it sold out so quickly. I needed a break and to try something else. I'll be back in 2021, maybe my fellow GB would like to join me :lol:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
We’re all doing Hasting’s Half around the same time......

Damn right! I'm looking forward to racing Hastings properly in 2020. :thumbsup:

I'll be targeting Worthing for another Half Marathon PB in February, Hastings is more of a challenge to say the least.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Doubt it was faster but I did do the first one.......very decent old-skool race, remember the RD’s briefing describing the course as ‘a bit of a bastard’ [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

BiffyBoy

Aug 20, 2012
I'm an avid follower of the official running thread, even more so since I started running marathons a few years ago. I really enjoy reading everyone's progress and pick up some great tips.

I just finished the Chicago Marathon (and had an air stewardess put her hand on my chest so Mo Farah could get off from first-class first - he looked pretty deflated)

I thought I'd share my progress so far on my way to do the Abbott Six:

2016: Boston - first marathon - Hal Higdon Novice Marathon Plan - 3.53
2017: Mont St Michel marathon - Hal Higdon Novice Marathon Plan - 3.48.15
2018: London - second marathon - Asics 3.30 marathon plan - 3.48.10 (five second faster) - hottest in history
2018: NYC - third marathon - Asics 3.30 marathon plan - 3.33
2019 - Chicago - fourth marathon Asics 3.30 marathon plan - 3.18

Ironically, for Chicago, I got shin splints and only managed the long run for the last month of training missing all mid-week runs.

In terms of the marathon's here's my view so far:

1. NYC - best expo, most organised, rival crowds to London, and most interesting course. Negatives: 5.30am start to get the bus out, and lots of waiting around.
2. London - I did this on the hottest year so painful, but amazing crowds, and the charity aspect (getting passed by the fastest ever man running a marathon with a 4 ft tree on his head)
3. Boston - I'm sure this is more prestigious if you qualify. I live between Boston & London, so understand the history and also trained on the course. It's 18 miles of quite a boring route including lot of hills like heartbreak. Great for spectators though as you can see runners multiple times across the route and amazing finish as you head into the city.
4. Chicago - Very flat and an amazing city, but lacks the buzz of NYC, London & Boston. Great for a PB, expo was ok, and the course was very well organised) on par with NYC.

I think the most interesting thing I've learnt so far, is the mental aspect of a marathon. The more marathon's you do, the more you can push yourself and understand your body.

Also, it might be a mental aspect, but for Chicago I used the Nike Next trainers and I think they gave me at least 15 mins (it's the worse I've trained, yet I didn't hit a wall and had so much more energy in my legs)

I'm planning to do Tokyo and Berlin over the next year or so to complete the six and hope to use Berlin to qualify for Boston.

Give me a shout if you want any more info, or make it to Boston and need a place to crash!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Excellent progress on PB [MENTION=25288]BiffyBoy[/MENTION] and 5 prestigious races already ticked off.
The IAAF are set to investigate your shoes. When did you get them and do you need to train in them? What life do you expect from them?

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm an avid follower of the official running thread, even more so since I started running marathons a few years ago. I really enjoy reading everyone's progress and pick up some great tips.

I just finished the Chicago Marathon (and had an air stewardess put her hand on my chest so Mo Farah could get off from first-class first - he looked pretty deflated)

2018: London - second marathon - Asics 3.30 marathon plan - 3.48.10 (five second faster) - hottest in history

Ironically, for Chicago, I got shin splints and only managed the long run for the last month of training missing all mid-week runs.

1. NYC - best expo, most organised, rival crowds to London, and most interesting course. Negatives: 5.30am start to get the bus out, and lots of waiting around.
2. London - I did this on the hottest year so painful, but amazing crowds, and the charity aspect (getting passed by the fastest ever man running a marathon with a 4 ft tree on his head)
3. Boston - I'm sure this is more prestigious if you qualify. I live between Boston & London, so understand the history and also trained on the course. It's 18 miles of quite a boring route including lot of hills like heartbreak. Great for spectators though as you can see runners multiple times across the route and amazing finish as you head into the city.
4. Chicago - Very flat and an amazing city, but lacks the buzz of NYC, London & Boston. Great for a PB, expo was ok, and the course was very well organised) on par with NYC.

I think the most interesting thing I've learnt so far, is the mental aspect of a marathon. The more marathon's you do, the more you can push yourself and understand your body.

Also, it might be a mental aspect, but for Chicago I used the Nike Next trainers and I think they gave me at least 15 mins (it's the worse I've trained, yet I didn't hit a wall and had so much more energy in my legs)

I'm planning to do Tokyo and Berlin over the next year or so to complete the six and hope to use Berlin to qualify for Boston.

Give me a shout if you want any more info, or make it to Boston and need a place to crash!

Always good to have a lurker “come out” and that’s impressive progress. I’m sure someone will update the table :wink:

My question would be simply how did you get in to them all without a GFA? Were they all charity places or did you just get lucky with the ballot? I’ve always fancied London but failed in the ballot three times. Used to live in Tokyo so would love to do that but, again, it looks pretty hard to get a place unless you spend or raise a fortune.

As for Moyleman - NO. I just need to get Beachy Head and Serpent Trail done and I can happily go back to road running for the rest of my “career”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Great post - some real bucket-list stuff there, just wish I was fast enough to qualify for some of them........[emoji23][emoji23] Definitely thinking about some new trainers (just for parkrun though - don’t think the vaporflys would have been much use through 4 inches of mud and water on Sunday)

Always good to have a lurker “come out” and that’s impressive progress. I’m sure someone will update the table :wink:

My question would be simply how did you get in to them all without a GFA? Were they all charity places or did you just get lucky with the ballot? I’ve always fancied London but failed in the ballot three times. Used to live in Tokyo so would love to do that but, again, it looks pretty hard to get a place unless you spend or raise a fortune.

As for Moyleman - NO. I just need to get Beachy Head and Serpent Trail done and I can happily go back to road running for the rest of my “career”.

Rubbish.....once you’ve done a trail race you won’t want to go back to that boring road stuff [emoji23][emoji23]

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

A great set of stats and races there – nice work and welcome to the best thread on NSC :clap2:

Yeah right...

Rubbish.....once you’ve done a trail race you won’t want to go back to that boring road stuff [emoji23][emoji23]

^^What he said.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Sensational [MENTION=25288]BiffyBoy[/MENTION]! Top work and definitely deserving of an entry in the NSC Runners League Table!

Please provide 5k PB and 2019 best, 10k, 10 mile and Half Marathon PBs if you have them to hand and I'll get you added in. :thumbsup:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Tried a hot 6x half mile intervals on Wednesday. Unfortunately I hadn’t recovered from my half marathon. First 2 were 30 seconds slower than 7:00 mile target, the third 45 secs below target, the next recovery stage became half a mile instead of a quarter, the fourth interval was aborted half way through, the other 2 were then ditched and I jogged 2 miles to the end.

Despite this I’m feeling a return to fitness but not enough to take [MENTION=11716]Penny[/MENTION]’s Harmonica Salento Parkrun record in Puglia tomorrow morning. 21:15 is currently over a minute too much but i’ll give it a go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here