Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Did you do it? How did you get on?

44.05 I think - was aiming for 44min so those 5 dropped seconds are annoying!

It was horrible going out to the Power Station - like mid-January and a howling head wind.

Good fun on the return leg though with that tail wind!

I recommend this race - nice and low key but always a decent turn out and some fast runners at the head of the field

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I didn't. What did they say about drinks? I remember reading a scientific article a few years back which cast doubt on most drinks and it suggested they were little better than a glass of orange juice with some salt thrown in.

They contain too much sugar, there is no evidence they enhance performance. The drink industry have created the whole hydration thing to sell drinks. Drink water when you're thirsty!
Shoes; find a pair that are comfortable for you. Much of the science that goes into the advertising is not evidence based.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Well I dont object and I would love some swimming training advice if there is any going.

Happy training.

I recently took up triathlons. Around this time last year I went for my first swimming training session and could just about manage 50m of front crawl. I kept at it and have been training 2-3 times a week since and now do the 750m (sprint triathlon distance) in 15 mins. It's distinctly average in comparison to most seasoned triathletes, but my running ability makes up for it in spades. So my advice would be: persevere and don't get disheartened, the beauty of triathlons is that you can always compensate for your weakness.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
I'm going to Turkey next weekend and don't want to interrupt my training. I'll plan to run first thing in the morning but it's still going to be much warmer than here obviously. Can anyone recommend an hydration pack? I'm thinking of getting a camelbak? Any good? Any of you runners got any experience of or tips for running in very hot weather? Any tips gratefully received.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I'm going to Turkey next weekend and don't want to interrupt my training. I'll plan to run first thing in the morning but it's still going to be much warmer than here obviously. Can anyone recommend an hydration pack? I'm thinking of getting a camelbak? Any good? Any of you runners got any experience of or tips for running in very hot weather? Any tips gratefully received.

How long are you away for? I tend to use my holidays as a recovery week (or fortnight) during my training. I'd get a long run done before I go away, and another long run when I get back, during the holiday I generally stick to recovery runs of about 6 miles, either early morning or evening.

I assume you're still training for barns green, if so I wouldn't worry about a camelbak, just use a bottle and keep the runs at a length you can get by using that, at a time when there,s not too much heat.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
How long are you away for? I tend to use my holidays as a recovery week (or fortnight) during my training. I'd get a long run done before I go away, and another long run when I get back, during the holiday I generally stick to recovery runs of about 6 miles, either early morning or evening.

I assume you're still training for barns green, if so I wouldn't worry about a camelbak, just use a bottle and keep the runs at a length you can get by using that, at a time when there,s not too much heat.

Two weeks. Longest run on my training schedule is 14 miles I think. Trying to stick to it. That's the plan anyway.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Two weeks. Longest run on my training schedule is 14 miles I think. Trying to stick to it. That's the plan anyway.
As I say, I'd move the14 miler and do it either before or after the holiday IMHO it's not worth putting your body through the extra stress of the heat & humidity as well as the long run.

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
Plugging away on the treadmill over the summer with humidity making outdoor running an impossibility, even in the middle of the night.

Normally I run alternating days, but about two weeks back I felt on a roll and did four days on the trot. Part of it was I wanted to cover a full marathon over the space of seven days. I did it, but I crashed something AWFUL. Mentally more than physically (though my legs were like logs of wood). It totally wiped me out for several days. Zero motivation, full on down-in-the-dumps mode. I went back to my regular routine of every other day and have been fine.

Just wondered if anyone else has had the same thing. Mental wipe out from over doing it physically.

Got a 10km run lined up in December and contemplating my third half in November. Need goals to keep going in this draining humidity.

D

Deleted member 18477

Plugging away on the treadmill over the summer with humidity making outdoor running an impossibility, even in the middle of the night.

Normally I run alternating days, but about two weeks back I felt on a roll and did four days on the trot. Part of it was I wanted to cover a full marathon over the space of seven days. I did it, but I crashed something AWFUL. Mentally more than physically (though my legs were like logs of wood). It totally wiped me out for several days. Zero motivation, full on down-in-the-dumps mode. I went back to my regular routine of every other day and have been fine.

Just wondered if anyone else has had the same thing. Mental wipe out from over doing it physically.

Got a 10km run lined up in December and contemplating my third half in November. Need goals to keep going in this draining humidity.

do you get enough sleep? rest is important for the mind as well as the body...

paula radcliffe apparently sleeps 13-14hrs a day according to 'a league of their own'

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
do you get enough sleep? rest is important for the mind as well as the body...

paula radcliffe apparently sleeps 13-14hrs a day according to 'a league of their own'

During the week around 7 hours, at the weekend, 8-9. That's not something that's really changed, although it is hard sleeping in such humidity and I wake up several times. Thing is, it's never been an issue in six years running fairly consistently. It felt like the effort in running four days straight with 5-6 miles was what did it. I was really taken aback by how worn out I felt.

13-14 hours a day, eh? I now have a basis to argue my case for longer lie-ins. :)

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Yeah i've just started running in the gym. I bloody hate it but i'm keen to get my 5K time as quick as possible, i've only run that distance 5 times. My current PB is 24m 50. I really want to go under 20 minutes....

not sure i'll ever make it.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Yeah i've just started running in the gym. I bloody hate it but i'm keen to get my 5K time as quick as possible, i've only run that distance 5 times. My current PB is 24m 50. I really want to go under 20 minutes....

It's a lot easier to do outside because you can vary your pace far more easily. It's the constant pace that always gets me on the treadmill, even changing the speed doesn't work as well as going out for a run.

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
I run much faster outside, and with less effort it seems, than on the treadmill. I was reading up on why this might be, and apparently the machine absorbs so much of your weight with each step it adds up eventually and you're not going as far as you would in the same stride outside. That's what the internet says, anyway.

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
I run much faster outside, and with less effort it seems, than on the treadmill. I was reading up on why this might be, and apparently the machine absorbs so much of your weight with each step it adds up eventually and you're not going as far as you would in the same stride outside. That's what the internet says, anyway.

I am the same. Everything I read suggests treadmill running is easier than roads/pavements due to terrain etc but I am much quicker outside. I start to worry about my form when I see my treadmill pace, but then smash it when outside

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
It's a lot easier to do outside because you can vary your pace far more easily. It's the constant pace that always gets me on the treadmill, even changing the speed doesn't work as well as going out for a run.

interesting, I'm gonna go for a run tonight....

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
I am the same. Everything I read suggests treadmill running is easier than roads/pavements due to terrain etc but I am much quicker outside. I start to worry about my form when I see my treadmill pace, but then smash it when outside

Ditto. For the longest time I didn't trust the gps on my phone app. There was such a difference between treadmill and outside times, and such a difference in effort as mentioned. Only after I did my first proper race did I actually believe my app times!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Post Christmas I was over 25 mins for 5k, now after some serious training miles, I'm down to 21 mins. It CAN be done. One trick I've found is to go for longer. You might end up running a slower 7/8km, but in the long run, your 5km times will get faster. Get along to a local parkrun if there's one near you. Free timed 5km every Saturday morning, it's a great way to watch you PB fall!

Good luck.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here