Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've been injured for 4 months, but my physio tells me I can get re-started at the end of the month. I had been running 3 times a week (at least) for the past 3 years except for this injury period, and it's been hard. :(

Anyone any ideas how to recover from shin splints?

Had it bad after the Reading Half Marathon in March so stopped training completly since then but can't get rid. Tried a very short run last week and they were killing the next day !

big regret not ever running marathon hit 18 miles in training but foot injury stopped only marathon entry:facepalm: that was a few years ago, a while back struggled keeping up with the inlaws walking round wakehurst place:eek: hence the slow but sure progress with the hove park 5k:clap2:
GOOD LUCK TOMORROW:bowdown:

Has anyone suffered from calf strains/muscle problems.

Ive had them for a few years now, all of a sudden they just tighten up and end up in knots, painful knots. Unable to run. Ive tried all the stretching under the sun and even those ludicrous compression socks. Yesterday, bang, gone again. Tight as you like.

any suggestions good running folk?

Blackened/falling off toe nails as a result of decent mileage. Any suggestions to prevent/repair?
Loving this guys, keep it up, does the Health and Safety Exec know quite how dangerous jogging, is?

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
You can add nipple rub to that list Stat Brother.

Had a nice red stained t shirt after this mornings 7 mile run. Was agony in the shower

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
You can add nipple rub to that list Stat Brother.

Had a nice red stained t shirt after this mornings 7 mile run. Was agony in the shower

Wow! Blood after a mere 7 miler?!

Suggest you change the T shirt you wear to a proper soft technical running T shirt. Mind you be careful of the Decathlon ones as they are pretty rough on the nipple rub front!

Or get some of these babies for long (18 mile plus) runs:

http://www.run4it.com/shop/nipguard/nipple-protectors/

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
I always have black toenails, after the Brighton marathon I lost 2 completely!

they dont hurt, I just can't wear my girlfriend's strappy shoes!!

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Another 7 miles today, immediately after a bleep test at work too (not that that's particularly hard). I am feeling very RUNNING this week :clap:

(forgot my running shoes though, so had to do the bleep test in a pair I found in the locker room, one size too small, then did the 7 miler in a pair one of the guys from work lent me, one size too big :lolol: I have blisters in interesting new locations on my feet)

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Suggest you change the T shirt you wear to a proper soft technical running T shirt. Mind you be careful of the Decathlon ones as they are pretty rough on the nipple rub front!

Or get some of these babies for long (18 mile plus) runs:

http://www.run4it.com/shop/nipguard/nipple-protectors/

At last! Something that men suffer from that women don't have to endure :clap:

You could always wear a bra, chaps, I find it works for me :lolol:

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Another 7 miles today, immediately after a bleep test at work too (not that that's particularly hard). I am feeling very RUNNING this week :clap:

(forgot my running shoes though, so had to do the bleep test in a pair I found in the locker room, one size too small, then did the 7 miler in a pair one of the guys from work lent me, one size too big :lolol: I have blisters in interesting new locations on my feet)

Loving this, its just like the lost property cupboard from school, you could never get out of PE by forgetting your kit!

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Loving this, its just like the lost property cupboard from school, you could never get out of PE by forgetting your kit!

You should have seen the clumpy BLUE trainers I found to do the bleep test in, they were TREMENDOUS. I know this is a bit mean, but you know when you were at school there was always one kid who was crap at all sports, and who looked like his Mum bought his entire PE kit in Kadar Wear (Burgess Hill's finest proprietor of Official School Approved- ie rubbish- clothing)? Who never, ever got picked for any teams and whose shoes for any activity were either black elasticated plimsolls or rubbish Gola trainers from Woolies? That was me, at about 1030 this morning :lolol: I looked pretty damn special, I can tell you.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Actually chimneys I was wearing a technical top , but maybe the material was still a bit rough. Funny how I only noticed when I finished the run.

Edna, my female friends alway chuckle when I tell them of the perils of nipple chaffing. I now use lanacane gel to protect them :)

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I ran in the rain with a plain t short on the other day and got allmighty nipple ache for two days after. I absentmindedly walked into work and announced it to my whole team to much 'we don't want to know what you did on the weekend' and 'what nipple clamp?' type banter. Whoops.

Just ran 10k in 45 in the the wind. Wasn't fun.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Anyone got any music tips? I've been listening to Daft Punk's Alive album and the Arcade Fire long player. The latter is not the best running music though.

Got to be high level bpm for me, my music taste has been criticised by many people over the years but here is my latest running playlist.

Lose yourself - Eminem (warm up)
Insomnia - Faithless
Block Rockin' Beats - Chemical Brothers
Weapon of Choice - Fatboy Slim
I like it - Narcotic Thrust
Enola Gay - OMD
Halcyn - Delphic
Keep on Movin (world cup remix) - Five
Training Montage - Vince Dicola (From Rocky)
War/Fanfar - Vince Dicola (From Rocky)
I Found Out - Pidgeon Detectives
Juicebox - The Strokes
Dont Look Back Into the Sun - Libertines
Galvanize - Chemical Brothers
Subculture - New Order

Happy running - although calf strain stopping me at present :(

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
You should have seen the clumpy BLUE trainers I found to do the bleep test in, they were TREMENDOUS. I know this is a bit mean, but you know when you were at school there was always one kid who was crap at all sports, and who looked like his Mum bought his entire PE kit in Kadar Wear (Burgess Hill's finest proprietor of Official School Approved- ie rubbish- clothing)? Who never, ever got picked for any teams and whose shoes for any activity were either black elasticated plimsolls or rubbish Gola trainers from Woolies? That was me, at about 1030 this morning :lolol: I looked pretty damn special, I can tell you.

Edna, you never fail to make me laugh.

I have a vision!:lolol:

Oct 2, 2008
Actually chimneys I was wearing a technical top , but maybe the material was still a bit rough. Funny how I only noticed when I finished the run.

Edna, my female friends alway chuckle when I tell them of the perils of nipple chaffing. I now use lanacane gel to protect them :)

Have suffered from this regularly myself. Tend to use micropore tape to cover the nipples (a tip from a fellow sufferer in Athletics Weekly). Seems to work and certainly beats coming home looking like you`ve been stabbed !.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Have suffered from this regularly myself. Tend to use micropore tape to cover the nipples (a tip from a fellow sufferer in Athletics Weekly). Seems to work and certainly beats coming home looking like you`ve been stabbed !.

Does that not hurt when you have to peel said tape off?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Edna, you never fail to make me laugh.

I have a vision!:lolol:

Honestly, they looked like orthopaedic shoes that they make for people with one leg four inches shorter than the other. For the 7 mile run I felt more like Sideshow Bob in gigantic clown shoes, wearing blokes trainers that were way too big.

The new blisters are quite fascinating. But on the plus side: the nipples were just fine :thumbsup:

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Not if you use micropore rather than plasters - it is not very adhesive (which is one of the drawbacks as it can come off if youre on a long run and sweating a lot).

Would you say better than traditional vaseline or have you not tried the vas?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
micropore - use about 5 inches each side and make a small pad over the nip to protect when removing. Double up to form a cross on long sweaty runs!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here