Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
This post has made me go and quickly look up the impact of the weight of shoes. This seems to be the most scientific:

''We found adding 100 grams to the shoe increased the aerobic demand of running by 1%. Now 100 grams is about 3.5274 ounces, so each ounce changes the cost of running about 0.2835% (1/3.5274= 0.2835). If you can run a mile in 5:40, that is going 284 meters per minute and that speed of running typically coasts about 55.55 ml O2 per Kg body weight per minute. 1 less ounce will change the cost to about 55.7075 (from 55.55 above) and that VO2 will be associated with a running speed of 284.7 m/min and a mile time of 5:39.17, so about .83 seconds for a mile, per ounce less weight."

Source: http://runsmartproject.com/2012/02/06/how-much-does-shoe-weight-affect-performance/

Ha! So bascially stop blaming the shoes and run more. Fair enough.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Ha! So bascially stop blaming the shoes and run more. Fair enough.

It certainly reads that way!

I guess there may be a psychological factor though which may be more difficult to measure for us mere mortals relative to those who run miles in 5:40. My Asics DO feel noticeably lighter.

For a chunker like me, losing weight off my body and not my shoes is what's going to make a real difference though!

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
For a chunker like me, losing weight off my body and not my shoes is what's going to make a real difference though!

Bingo!

I have quite light Nike running shoes but saving a couple hundred grams on my shoes doesn't make up for the extra three stone I carry around my waist.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I am convinced that I run faster in lighter shoes, but it might all (or mostly) be in the mind. I've just got a new pair of Asics and they are light (but not super light) but that's not the big thing for me. Comfort and support are the most important factors as I rack up the miles. Given I ran c.2,000 miles in my old Asics, there's probably something in it!

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hello,

Any suggestions for a good lightweight running show? I'm getting back in the game and fancy investing this time into some tools to keep me interested, possibly a Garmin, decent shoes, decent tops et al

I currently have some Brooks that everyone was wearing last year but they seem a bit bulky, fancy something much lighter. I do almost all of my running on the streets. I'm imagining a trip to Run is in order but thought I'd ask anyway.

Booked in for the Brigont Marathon 10k and want to start running shorter distances and much quicker.

What Brooks ? If you like the fit and they work for you, just drop to a lighter but similar version. I did exactly this, swapping GTS Adrenaline for Racer ST. They feel exactly the same and the sizing is identical, but they feel much lighter to wear. Cushioning is good, I've worn them for several marathons on the road (and I'm heavily built [emoji849])

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I've got some Adidas SequenceBoost and they most be the heavies clunckiest running shoes around but they've served me well so far and I'm too scared to try anything new. On the plus side my feat are basically protected from anything though, they are built like tanks.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I've always wanted to try the Hoka not bad to get cushioning at 245g per shoe.

I love my ASIC Gel DS Hyperspeed, weighing in at 167g each. They come out the cupboard for any race up to half Marathon or a full effort Parkrun. As Bozza said they have a great psychological effect, once they go on the adrenaline starts to kick in. You're going for it. The lightness seems to create more kick to the bum and I tend to run more forefoot and don't need heel cushioning.
As someone who eats hourly through the day to sustain weight I do not carry any extra weight. This is beneficial as I put the minimum weight on the foot each stride and so can get away with lighter shoes.
As to the advantage in speed I am happy with 0.2+ secs a mile. Without them I wouldn't have met last year's goal for the Phoenix 10k.
Never had the guts to try them for a marathon though.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
As someone who eats hourly through the day to sustain weight I do not carry any extra weight.

I did that over Christmas and put on half a stone!! :wink:

(of course, doing f-all exercise doesn't help)

Went out for just over 30 minutes today, my knee finally feels 'okay', but boy did I feel every pound of that half stone. I maintained a good half-marathon pace for the first 5k, then had a massive stitch with about a mile to go so was forced to walk a bit.

I've got a lot to do before March, but at least I think I'm in a place to start building the weekly mileage back up again.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Went out for just over 30 minutes today, my knee finally feels 'okay', but boy did I feel every pound of that half stone. I maintained a good half-marathon pace for the first 5k, then had a massive stitch with about a mile to go so was forced to walk a bit.

I've got a lot to do before March, but at least I think I'm in a place to start building the weekly mileage back up again.

I just had 3 months almost fully sedentary. Lost half a stone and got a little belly. Work that one out!

Good luck with your recovery. Come back at an easy pace.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've always wanted to try the Hoka not bad to get cushioning at 245g per shoe.

I love my ASIC Gel DS Hyperspeed, weighing in at 167g each. They come out the cupboard for any race up to half Marathon or a full effort Parkrun. As Bozza said they have a great psychological effect, once they go on the adrenaline starts to kick in. You're going for it. The lightness seems to create more kick to the bum and I tend to run more forefoot and don't need heel cushioning.
As someone who eats hourly through the day to sustain weight I do not carry any extra weight. This is beneficial as I put the minimum weight on the foot each stride and so can get away with lighter shoes.
As to the advantage in speed I am happy with 0.2+ secs a mile. Without them I wouldn't have met last year's goal for the Phoenix 10k.
Never had the guts to try them for a marathon though.

Using Hokas for most of my outdoor running at the moment as the seem to be causing fewer flare-ups of my tendintis - supremely comfortable and amazingly light for their size. I also wore them for the SDW100 - feet were in remarkable shape afterwards. No blisters or black toenails either. I use Rapa Nui for offroad and Clifton 3s on the road (the 3 is wider in the toebox then earlier versions and suits my feet better)

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Using Hokas for most of my outdoor running at the moment as the seem to be causing fewer flare-ups of my tendintis - supremely comfortable and amazingly light for their size. I also wore them for the SDW100 - feet were in remarkable shape afterwards. No blisters or black toenails either. I use Rapa Nui for offroad and Clifton 3s on the road (the 3 is wider in the toebox then earlier versions and suits my feet better)

Another thumbs up for Hokas Clifton 3. As stated above the earlier versions were too narrow and squashed your toes up causing blisters galore. The newest version fits perfectly and is very light weight considering the huge amount of padding. Not the most beautiful shoe I've ever worn but it helped me reduce my times significantly after using Brooks Ravena previously.

If I don't go to Preston and I wake up early enough I might try out Bevendean Park Run for the first time. Anyone here had a go yet?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
What Brooks ? If you like the fit and they work for you, just drop to a lighter but similar version. I did exactly this, swapping GTS Adrenaline for Racer ST. They feel exactly the same and the sizing is identical, but they feel much lighter to wear. Cushioning is good, I've worn them for several marathons on the road (and I'm heavily built [emoji849])

GTS Adrenaline. They are on last legs so will have a look at the racers.

Cheers!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
In The Grauniad Weekend magazine was this article about the Tooting Track 24 hour Sri Chinmoy Self-Transcendence Race. I believe the Scarlet Pimpernel was planning to self-transcend there this summer. Are you doing it [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION]?
Great how Sri Chinmoy's mind altering race, that has been run every year for 30 years, meets up with today's Ultra runners.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/jan/07/ultra-running-south-london-24-hour-race

My brother who co-owns Sussex Trail Events has done this race. He clocked up something near 120 miles in 24 hours running around the 400m track but the last 2 hours he walked because he picked up a blister. Madness.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Another thumbs up for Hokas Clifton 3. As stated above the earlier versions were too narrow and squashed your toes up causing blisters galore. The newest version fits perfectly and is very light weight considering the huge amount of padding. Not the most beautiful shoe I've ever worn but it helped me reduce my times significantly after using Brooks Ravena previously.

If I don't go to Preston and I wake up early enough I might try out Bevendean Park Run for the first time. Anyone here had a go yet?

Been to Preston with it's plastic pitch but not Bevendean yet. Bit early in my training to tackle a hilly 5k this Saturday but must pencil it in for next month. I'm still to do that one and PP and apparently they've test run a Peacehaven one that is getting going soon.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Exactly what I did over Xmas and am also amazed at how much pace I've lost and how my knee is only just about "ok". You have my sympathy and empathy!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As far as shoes go I've read a lot of positive feedback on Hokas on other running sites. I must say I'm still very much in love with my mid range Saucony Guide 9s and will probably do Brighton (injury permitting) in them again but I might try out some Clifton 3s when the Guide 9s die.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The thing about Hokas is they look a bit like "special shoes" don't they? For that reason, I've given them the swerve despite the resounding positivity I hear about them from everywhere.

In other news: my legs are still ****ed. I need to stop running. Unfortunately I love running.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The thing about Hokas is they look a bit like "special shoes" don't they? For that reason, I've given them the swerve despite the resounding positivity I hear about them from everywhere.

In other news: my legs are still ****ed. I need to stop running. Unfortunately I love running.
Same here. Forced myself out of the door when I really didn't feel like it tonight, just to keep the Runuary streak going. Nine days in and legs are feeling it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here