Page 2144 of 2172 FirstFirst ... 1144164420442094213421412142214321442145214621472154 ... LastLast
Results 21,431 to 21,440 of 21712
  1. #21431
    Stand Or Fall Clive Walker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brighton
    Posts
    1,020


    6 Not allowed!
    May 2020 - 29 runs, 288.2 km, 5.07 ave kmph, 9.94 ave km per run.

    Im currently on a rest day which i promised myself for the last 3 weeks. However, the chances of me having a cheeky 10k by the end of the day are looking more and more likely.
    Goldstone – Priestfield – Withdean – The Amex

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #21432
      Members dazzer6666's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2013
      Location
      Burgess Hill
      Posts
      30,616


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I didn't realise when I typed that last night, but my 185.2 miles is actually a record month for me - just ahead of last month's 183.

      I'm also wondering if my walking, generally with the dog, helps or hinders my running performance. Last month I walked 240 miles in addition to the running miles.
      I'd have a stab that it potentially helps with endurance but would be pretty sure it means you're not getting anything like enough rest - if you're running and walking every day, you'll find it difficult to fully recover (even if it feels like you are). Splitting your efforts into a run and a walk is not really much different to doing a much longer run/walk as a combined session (cumulative load doesn't change) - so you're essentially currently following a 100 mile per week programme with no rest days at all - doubt you'd find a coach anywhere that would suggest that is a good idea - your 'time on feet' is an enormous load too.

      Sample 'expert view' (loads more online)

      https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/the-...-of-rest-days/
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"
    • #21433
      Members
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      Hove
      Posts
      4,236


      2 Not allowed!
      I’ve now read all of Endure a book recommended by @Artie Fufkin

      I’d highly recommend it. Happy to pass it on the next time I see someone.

      https://www.amazon.co.uk/Endure-Curi...1037044&sr=8-1
    • #21434
      Stand Or Fall Clive Walker's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2011
      Location
      Brighton
      Posts
      1,020


      3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Clive Walker View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      May 2020 - 29 runs, 288.2 km, 5.07 ave kmph, 9.94 ave km per run.

      Im currently on a rest day which i promised myself for the last 3 weeks. However, the chances of me having a cheeky 10k by the end of the day are looking more and more likely.
      June 2020 - 1 run, 10.01 km, 4.58 ave kmph, 10.01 ave km per run.

      Rest day failure.
      Goldstone – Priestfield – Withdean – The Amex
    • #21435
      Mod writer Guinness Boy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
      Posts
      18,708


      6 Not allowed!
      40 mins constant running this morning for the first time in ages. Felt yesterday's footgolf session on the downs and the cheeky fruit cider afterwards in my legs but lungs held out all the way round, which is decent. Next run Thursday.
      Brighton But Only At Home

      It's a blog. About home games. And some other stuff.
    • #21436
      Members
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      Hove
      Posts
      4,236


      2 Not allowed!
      Not troubling the scorers tonight with my mile attempt (5:24.5). 8 weeks without trying was possibly the difference plus 6 consecutive day of running, so eager to try again in the next 7/14 days with better prep.

      Anyone else trying the 1 mile or 3k challenge soon?
    • #21437
      Members
      Join Date
      Sep 2012
      Location
      Brighton
      Posts
      2,489


      4 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by dazzer6666 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I'd have a stab that it potentially helps with endurance but would be pretty sure it means you're not getting anything like enough rest - if you're running and walking every day, you'll find it difficult to fully recover (even if it feels like you are). Splitting your efforts into a run and a walk is not really much different to doing a much longer run/walk as a combined session (cumulative load doesn't change) - so you're essentially currently following a 100 mile per week programme with no rest days at all - doubt you'd find a coach anywhere that would suggest that is a good idea - your 'time on feet' is an enormous load too.

      Sample 'expert view' (loads more online)

      https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/the-...-of-rest-days/
      Interesting. I have always bought into the argument about the importance of rest days, especially as an 'older runner', and have always religiously built one or two into my week, even in the build up to a big race. As you say, every coach seems to say pretty much the same about this.

      However, when lockdown started I decided that I would run every day come what may, not for training reasons so much as because I was initially concerned we might lose the right to exercise outside (as they had in some European countries) and I wanted to enjoy my running as much as possible before that happened. Since then, it's been clear that we probably wouldn't be prevented from running outside, but keeping the daily running going has become a massive part of my psychological response to the changed environment. Running every day, without a focus on times and races, and especially being out on the downs or in the woods has really helped.

      So the net effect of this is that I have now run every day for the last 75 days, and I've never had a running streak of that length. My total monthly distance in April and May was over 300km, so just over 10km per day average (I've only every had one month over 300km before, and that wasn't with daily running). To my surprise, not only have I never felt fitter, but I have had hardly any twinges or niggles, and the lack of rest days has so far not produced any negative effects that I can see, so I'm now beginning to think it may be possible to get enough recovery through regular running with a varied routine (and including plenty of gentle off-road stuff).

      I will probably regret this post when I come down with a stress fracture or plantar fascitis or something in the next couple of days....
    • #21438
      Members dazzer6666's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2013
      Location
      Burgess Hill
      Posts
      30,616


      2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by soistes View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Interesting. I have always bought into the argument about the importance of rest days, especially as an 'older runner', and have always religiously built one or two into my week, even in the build up to a big race. As you say, every coach seems to say pretty much the same about this.

      However, when lockdown started I decided that I would run every day come what may, not for training reasons so much as because I was initially concerned we might lose the right to exercise outside (as they had in some European countries) and I wanted to enjoy my running as much as possible before that happened. Since then, it's been clear that we probably wouldn't be prevented from running outside, but keeping the daily running going has become a massive part of my psychological response to the changed environment. Running every day, without a focus on times and races, and especially being out on the downs or in the woods has really helped.

      So the net effect of this is that I have now run every day for the last 75 days, and I've never had a running streak of that length. My total monthly distance in April and May was over 300km, so just over 10km per day average (I've only every had one month over 300km before, and that wasn't with daily running). To my surprise, not only have I never felt fitter, but I have had hardly any twinges or niggles, and the lack of rest days has so far not produced any negative effects that I can see, so I'm now beginning to think it may be possible to get enough recovery through regular running with a varied routine (and including plenty of gentle off-road stuff).

      I will probably regret this post when I come down with a stress fracture or plantar fascitis or something in the next couple of days....
      It's definitely doable and I know quite a few that run every day.......but so many other factors to consider rather than simply whether you ran or not - what's your intensity load for example ? Does your daily 10k include say 8 x 800m at full pelt one day, and then 10k of hill reps in the same week, followed by a 10k tempo run ? That schedule would have a colossal difference physiologically to simply going out and running 10k at a comfortable pace (say 60-65%). FWIW my coach allows me to run on a 'rest day' (as you indicate, the mental health benefits of simply getting out, particularly now, are enormous), but has to be max 40 mins and at a very relaxed pace or I get a bollocking
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"
    • #21439
      You can change this Bozza's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Back in Sussex
      Posts
      46,092


      2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by soistes View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Interesting. I have always bought into the argument about the importance of rest days, especially as an 'older runner', and have always religiously built one or two into my week, even in the build up to a big race. As you say, every coach seems to say pretty much the same about this.

      However, when lockdown started I decided that I would run every day come what may, not for training reasons so much as because I was initially concerned we might lose the right to exercise outside (as they had in some European countries) and I wanted to enjoy my running as much as possible before that happened. Since then, it's been clear that we probably wouldn't be prevented from running outside, but keeping the daily running going has become a massive part of my psychological response to the changed environment. Running every day, without a focus on times and races, and especially being out on the downs or in the woods has really helped.

      So the net effect of this is that I have now run every day for the last 75 days, and I've never had a running streak of that length. My total monthly distance in April and May was over 300km, so just over 10km per day average (I've only every had one month over 300km before, and that wasn't with daily running). To my surprise, not only have I never felt fitter, but I have had hardly any twinges or niggles, and the lack of rest days has so far not produced any negative effects that I can see, so I'm now beginning to think it may be possible to get enough recovery through regular running with a varied routine (and including plenty of gentle off-road stuff).

      I will probably regret this post when I come down with a stress fracture or plantar fascitis or something in the next couple of days....
      I'm incredibly injury-prone and have just completed my 125th day in a row of running. The streak started by accident, coming off the back of an achilles injury in January and has included running through another injury, this time to my knee.

      I know some runstreakers keep things ticking over with a very easy "rest day mile" which some may consider cheating. Without checking back through Strava, I think I've done that once or twice, as well as a few 2-mile runs. Regardless, as I'm walking the dog for a fair few miles on most of these days, I'm not sure an easy jog to retain the streak, really makes much difference to my legs.
    • #21440
      Members dazzer6666's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2013
      Location
      Burgess Hill
      Posts
      30,616


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I'm incredibly injury-prone and have just completed my 125th day in a row of running. The streak started by accident, coming off the back of an achilles injury in January and has included running through another injury, this time to my knee.

      I know some runstreakers keep things ticking over with a very easy "rest day mile" which some may consider cheating. Without checking back through Strava, I think I've done that once or twice, as well as a few 2-mile runs. Regardless, as I'm walking the dog for a fair few miles on most of these days, I'm not sure an easy jog to retain the streak, really makes much difference to my legs.
      Sure you're right...........a short (by that - for me at least - meaning 30 mins or so) easy (and it does need to be easy) jog won't have any material impact when you're used to covering 400m+ per month on your feet - again the intensity of sessions makes a big, big difference. Doing 200m a month all run very hard would be much more damaging potentially than 400m of a mix of steady & easy running and walking. Most plans I've seen aimed at specific race plans typically have 70-80% of the distance at fairly low intensity, with just a couple of truly hard sessions a week.
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •