Page 1854 of 1930 FirstFirst ... 8541354175418041844185118521853185418551856185718641904 ... LastLast
Results 18,531 to 18,540 of 19296

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Artie Fufkin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Must be great to have Elson in your corner dazzer!
    Another nugget of wisdom that I picked up and try to remember is if on a normal easy day, once you've finished the run, if you don't think you could turn around and run it again then you've worked too hard on that easy run.
    Actually - that then raises another question - how many miles do you run on a recovery?

• North Stand Chat

advertising

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Elephant View Post
      Actually - that then raises another question - how many miles do you run on a recovery?
      True recovery 30-40 mins max.......
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by dazzer6666 View Post
      True recovery 30-40 mins max.......
      Ah, so my hour long recovery runs are a little bit extreme. Very comfortable though, I do love a good 7 miler as well. That drops to 5 miles, so about 45 minutes when I'm not in any kind of training cycle.

0 Not allowed!
      Never apologise @Artie Fufkin - or you @dazzer6666! This is the one place where people are genuinely interested in what you're saying. From watching the video, I definitely think that I should have run some of the longer runs at a slower pace. As it goes, I turned down a pace session today in favour of a nice 7 miler at very easy pace, taking in the Promenade, Hove Park and Preston Park. I'm looking forward to seeing the map on Strava later.
      Thanks mate. I'm a bit of a running nerd when it comes to the sports science side to running and enjoy reading as much as I can but I'm always mindful that I might come across as a bit "preachy" to fellow runners. I would hate anyone to think that, it's just that running has changed my life so much for the better and I enjoy sharing things that I pick up as we're all learning as we go. I'd recommend checking out the other videos of the Jack Daniels running seminars and his book Daniels' Running Formula is considered the don of distance running training books.

The body will thank you for switching up the run for today! Trust the great amount of work you've already put in.

1 Not allowed!
      Ah, so my hour long recovery runs are a little bit extreme. Very comfortable though, I do love a good 7 miler as well. That drops to 5 miles, so about 45 minutes when I'm not in any kind of training cycle.
      An hour is an 'easy run', not a recovery run really..................for me recovery is more about just getting the legs gently moving after a hard/long session previously, flushing the lactate out etc. Pace-wise, though, easy and recovery should be more or less the same - 60-65% effort perhaps

https://www.fullpotential.co.uk/post...-recovery-runs
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Artie Fufkin View Post
      Thanks mate. I'm a bit of a running nerd when it comes to the sports science side to running and enjoy reading as much as I can but I'm always mindful that I might come across as a bit "preachy" to fellow runners. I would hate anyone to think that, it's just that running has changed my life so much for the better and I enjoy sharing things that I pick up as we're all learning as we go. I'd recommend checking out the other videos of the Jack Daniels running seminars and his book Daniels' Running Formula is considered the don of distance running training books.

The body will thank you for switching up the run for today! Trust the great amount of work you've already put in.
      I speak for myself and probably Dazzer as well - I love this stuff! It really adds a lot of valuable theory to something I spend many, many hours a week doing! Also, any man called Jack Daniels is absolutely fine by me, just in general.

Quote Originally Posted by dazzer6666 View Post
      An hour is an 'easy run', not a recovery run really..................for me recovery is more about just getting the legs gently moving after a hard/long session previously, flushing the lactate out etc. Pace-wise, though, easy and recovery should be more or less the same - 60-65% effort perhaps

https://www.fullpotential.co.uk/post...-recovery-runs
      I think, by that standard, I've never done an actual recovery run! They've all been easy runs, on that sort of scale.

1 Not allowed!
      Yep recovery runs would be up to around 30-40 mins. They're slow shake outs good for flushing out the blood lactate built up from a previous work out. I think it perhaps would help gauge it better if we all started calling them recovery jogs. Here's a cool video clip of Eliud Kipchoge on a shake out run. It's very very slow. He's jogging at best.

Members

7 Not allowed!
      Some interesting lunch time reading today. I think we all run for different reasons but mainly because we like getting outdoors and being able to run plus it helps to keep you fit & healthy (body and mind)

I avoided park run for a long time as "speed" isn't my thing, but I am competitive by nature so once I did one I have come back for more. Currently on 36 runs and 16 different courses plus 8 volunteer credits. I have loved travelling round to different park runs, its such a brilliant free event. The post race coffees are always enjoyable.

As to entering races, I love it, nothing beats a race day. As mentioned before I am now preferring trail runs to road runs, and this is definitely for me more about enjoying the challenge than getting a PB. I however do like to set myself a challenge to try and achieve a PB if possible. I did the Sarajevo HM last Sunday, but since my Ultra my pace is not great, so I enjoyed the run, the location and set myself a challenge of under 2 hours (my PB 1.47) and came in at 1.56 so was happy with that.

My final two big runs this year are this weekend with the Ragnar relay which is something totally new to me, 172 miles between 10 of us. Then my next marathon is Beachy Head which is about beating the hills not the time.

I guess for the last few years I have just loved running and trying out different events to challenge me. And as for long slow runs, took me ages to get the hang of dropping pace on recovery runs but it helped my achieve a marathon PB at Brighton this year. My next personal challenge is still that sub 4 hour marathon (14 minutes to find). The other big positive for me was joining a running club and meet so many new great people, many now how are friends as well as running buddies! Its also been great to do events like the weakest link with people from here, I find them a challenge as the slowest runner by a long way but find people genuinely supportive and encouraging, that's what its all about.

Happy running all x
      Mark R
      England Away For all my England match reports and quite a few pictures!!
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Blobby View Post
      Some interesting lunch time reading today. I think we all run for different reasons but mainly because we like getting outdoors and being able to run plus it helps to keep you fit & healthy (body and mind)

I avoided park run for a long time as "speed" isn't my thing, but I am competitive by nature so once I did one I have come back for more. Currently on 36 runs and 16 different courses plus 8 volunteer credits. I have loved travelling round to different park runs, its such a brilliant free event. The post race coffees are always enjoyable.

As to entering races, I love it, nothing beats a race day. As mentioned before I am now preferring trail runs to road runs, and this is definitely for me more about enjoying the challenge than getting a PB. I however do like to set myself a challenge to try and achieve a PB if possible. I did the Sarajevo HM last Sunday, but since my Ultra my pace is not great, so I enjoyed the run, the location and set myself a challenge of under 2 hours (my PB 1.47) and came in at 1.56 so was happy with that.

My final two big runs this year are this weekend with the Ragnar relay which is something totally new to me, 172 miles between 10 of us. Then my next marathon is Beachy Head which is about beating the hills not the time.
      x
      Are you still doing Sofia Half October 13th? I’m currently ‘hanging’ around Transylvania but still unable to run due to back jarring. Doing some walking and hoping to still run it just to participate. Be there anyway as airBnB booked. ������
      Members

3 Not allowed!
      Anyone running a prom based course would have been a bit battered today. A vicious easterly made my 22.19 a bit better than it looks. An age cat. 'victory' and overall 6th on AG out of 457. It was hard.