Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Thanks. I'm following a schedule I got from Runners World. It peaks at 22 miles in about a months time then reduces on the lead up to the race. I'm aiming for four hours but that may be optimistic as it's my first Marathon and I'm 45! I managed a half in 1.47.

Brighton was my 1st marathon (age 40) and I managed 4:55. I'm following a plan which aims to get me round in under 4 hours this time round. Did a 17 mile run last Sunday morning. Good luck! I know I'll need it.

robbie c

Jan 30, 2008
Leighton buzzard
try a little half mile "speed session" try and do 4-6 of these at a fast pace and then average out the times; the average time say 4m.20secs will give you a target of 4hrs 20 minutes for a marathon; it seems to work otherwise google a race time calculator; don't set yourself an unachievable target as that will fuckup your race day strategy.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
try a little half mile "speed session" try and do 4-6 of these at a fast pace and then average out the times; the average time say 4m.20secs will give you a target of 4hrs 20 minutes for a marathon; it seems to work otherwise google a race time calculator; don't set yourself an unachievable target as that will fuckup your race day strategy.

I personally think if you're brand new to running you should just aim to complete the course. When you've completed the distance once you can reflect on your time, how you felt and what training you did to achieve this. Then you can start looking at times.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
What's people's hill training sessions? I have it in my schedule this week, Ive done it before but not sure if its right. Basically Ive found a hill - 800 metres long and was going to go up it say 5 times at a good pace, jog back down, is this a good idea?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
What's people's hill training sessions? I have it in my schedule this week, Ive done it before but not sure if its right. Basically Ive found a hill - 800 metres long and was going to go up it say 5 times at a good pace, jog back down, is this a good idea?

My hill session involves running up Preston Drove and then doing a loop down Stanford Avenue and along the west side of Preston Park back to the start. I usually do this 4 times which works out about 7 miles.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
My hill session involves running up Preston Drove and then doing a loop down Stanford Avenue and along the west side of Preston Park back to the start. I usually do this 4 times which works out about 7 miles.

What sort of pace? Quick, medium, slow?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
What sort of pace? Quick, medium, slow?

I try and keep it pretty slow up the hill and then go fast downhill. I have no idea whether that is the right approach though!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I did some hill work at lunch time. I run up The Upper Drive (from the Old Shoreham Rd jct) and job back down again. I try and run up at a decent pace. Jog down. Did 9 reps today with 10 min jog there and back.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Right, well after three weeks of no running at all due to a back/hamstring/glute problem, I got the go ahead to test it all out again last week.

I did a ten miler on the Monday (only meant to start out with six or so but I felt good so carried on), a cheeky six miler on Thursday, and on Sunday I dragged my sorry self around Mid Sussex for fifteen miles. That is, by about four miles, further than I've ever run in my life, so I am honestly rather proud of myself so far (I know it's not much for you experts, but I am no Paula Radcliffe :) ). It was pretty slow of course, but frankly my time on the day is almost immaterial to me, I just want to finish and to be able to say YES, I did it. Then if I'm stupid enough to ever want to do it again, next year I will try and beat that time. I've been told that the average finish time for a first timer is 4hrs 30m for men and 5hrs 10 for women.

I vowed a while back, in conjunction with another first timer I work with, that I'd be aiming for fifteen miles by the end of January, and being almost close enough to do twenty by the end of February, although my proper long run probably won't be until the first week of March. Being on track for that, after not doing any running at all for a while, is making me very happy indeed.

Do other people find that the first two or three miles are often the hardest? Perhaps it's still me regaining fitness after the injury, but I do find I absolutely hate the first couple of miles, all I can think about is how much further I have to go or how my legs are feeling, then after that I sort of switch off and just think about the last Albion game or something equally trivial. Surely the first miles should be the easiest???

Oh yeah, and here's my sponsorship page, if anyone cares to contribute, I'm running for Help For Heroes :thumbsup: Bmycharity - Vicki Lank - Online fundraising - Help for Heroes

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
I did some hill work at lunch time. I run up The Upper Drive (from the Old Shoreham Rd jct) and job back down again. I try and run up at a decent pace. Jog down. Did 9 reps today with 10 min jog there and back.

Thanks Herr,

Ive just done my session, I tried a decent pace, it was quite tough but then I dont think any session is easy.

What would have made it better was if I was coming home to some Bobby's Bacon Streaks, should have got my sorry arse down the shop before!

cw00

Mar 29, 2009
Manchester
did 16 miles today through the shithole that is shoreham. heard about these gel things where can they be bought and are they worth it?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I find the Lucozade Sport Jelly Beans (you can get them in Tesco, next to the sports drinks) much better than the gel things. They taste nice and they don't make me feel crap.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
I find the Lucozade Sport Jelly Beans (you can get them in Tesco, next to the sports drinks) much better than the gel things. They taste nice and they don't make me feel crap.

I tried some of these today, having bought them from Tesco's and can concur they taste nice. I do however find the gels okay also.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I probably just like them because they're jelly beans, nothing to do with energy or whatever :lolol:

They're not as sickly tasting as the normal energy tablets or gels.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I personally think if you're brand new to running you should just aim to complete the course. When you've completed the distance once you can reflect on your time, how you felt and what training you did to achieve this. Then you can start looking at times.

wise, wise words. I followed a sensible training plan for my 1st marathon last year (Brighton) - a few 20 milers, tapering down in final 2 weeks, slept, ate and drank sensibly.........but hadn't accounted for the hot weather on the day, didn't drink enough early on and limped home from mile 16. Still immensely proud of finishing but now want to beat my rather modest time.....but I still feel the agony and emptiness every time I see Shoreham power station.

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
wise, wise words. I followed a sensible training plan for my 1st marathon last year (Brighton) - a few 20 milers, tapering down in final 2 weeks, slept, ate and drank sensibly.........but hadn't accounted for the hot weather on the day, didn't drink enough early on and limped home from mile 16. Still immensely proud of finishing but now want to beat my rather modest time.....but I still feel the agony and emptiness every time I see Shoreham power station.

It's my first time this year and I am worried the same may happen, but glad to hear you're still proud of finishing, as you should be. Good luck this year!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I'll dig out my pre-race (ie morning of) water drinking plan when I get a chance. This coupled with downing a mouthful or two at each and every water station should see you right.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It's my first time this year and I am worried the same may happen, but glad to hear you're still proud of finishing, as you should be. Good luck this year!

cheers mate. If I could give you one training tip it would be to run the power station leg (3 miles) a few times as part of a longish run. good luck!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here