Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
I need 5:10 to beat your AG mile. It looks like [MENTION=11816]Artie Fufkin[/MENTION] can do it with a leisurely 5:24

I’m going to give this a go later in the week. It will be interesting as it’s not a distance I have competed or timed myself in and have no idea what I’m capable of. 5:35 would be needed to better the gaffers AG. Fairly obvious that won’t happen but I’d like to think I could get I the low 70’s.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Am I using it wrong? I just set it to 1 mile entered a time and clicked age-grade. I'm 36, I entered 5:10 and it gave me 73.81%

It's not exactly a well designed user interface!

You're spot on! But you need to go sub 5 with 4:54 to beat my 77.74%.

Table has not been updated in honour of anchorman's fine effort.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
You're spot on! But you need to go sub 5 with 4:54 to beat my 77.74%.

Table has not been updated in honour of anchorman's fine effort.

Ah ok. I was looking at the wrong percentage to compare it to. I think I just picked the best one from the table.

4:54

F*** that.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
You started it!

I have a virtual race on hand for next month. I think I’ll limit myself to one mile effort a month. Have a virtual 5k to race before May 10th not using a Parkrun course.

I can smell the hare for next month’s mile. Bloody 67 at least!

View attachment 122933

While I'm more than happy to claim the credit for many things that I had no hand in (eg the Double Helix, moon landings and penicillin) I genuinely thought this was yours. No matter - it will be the only way to get my name on the leader-board.
If you can take the Gasson, you'll be elevated to legendary status.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
The last run of my 50’s today. Rest tomorrow, first run of my 60’s on Friday!

Well done mate. There are a few of us 60+ runners who are regulars on this thread. If I can offer some words of encouragement, I think we've all enjoyed some of our best performances since crossing the 60 line. (On the downside, when you get to the 65 line the wheels need oiling!)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
While I'm more than happy to claim the credit for many things that I had no hand in (eg the Double Helix, moon landings and penicillin) I genuinely thought this was yours. No matter - it will be the only way to get my name on the leader-board.
If you can take the Gasson, you'll be elevated to legendary status.

Well I thought it was you....but now you say that maybe it was me. I’ll take the blame rather than read the last 50 pages or so.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Well done mate. There are a few of us 60+ runners who are regulars on this thread. If I can offer some words of encouragement, I think we've all enjoyed some of our best performances since crossing the 60 line. (On the downside, when you get to the 65 line the wheels need oiling!)

Thanks - times aren't what they used to be!

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
In all seriousness, I had somewhat of an epiphany whilst watching various running vlogs the other night, and thought "I want to take this running thing seriously now".

I'm not entirely sure what I meant by that thought, as I'd had a fair few, but the things I recall included eating better again and really cutting back on drink,. The primary reason is to lose more weight because lighter broadly equates to quicker.

I guess I've become more interested in performance improvement over the past couple of months and I'm interested to see how far that can go If I apply myself properly. Based on my last two "fast" 5kms, I'm sure I can break 20 minutes now, yet six months ago I'd have said that was all but impossible. It feels like my 10km time should be better, based on my 5km best, so I might save a crack at that for day 100 of my runsteak, with today being day 90.

Hell, I might even consider a race when that sort of thing happens again!

I think it's been great following your progress Bozza. It looks like you're doing a lot of things right, looking to maintain some consistency but keeping it sensible and letting the improvements come to you, not chase after fitness. As I don't really drink I raise a glass of milk to you! :smile:

Yes I think we all know that trying to keep an eye on our diet (within balance) can only be a good thing for our running. The usual plenty of fruit and veg, try to limit processed foods, etc.

The one thing that I usually harp on about is also the importance of sleep to recovery. As we all learnt Bruno was the master at this, with his regimented daily afternoon siestas and going to be bed early. I'm sure he would say prioritising sleep was a key element that kept him competitive for that extra season or two.

Racing is a great way to give yourself a little test now and again. I appreciate it's not for everyone as it can lead to some anxiety and actually I have a tendency to swerve a lot of racing, but I think it's good to have a race or two in the schedule to give me a couple of short, medium and long term goals on the horizon to aim for.

As with all the NSC parkrunners, I think parkrun is an awesome friendly option as an introduction to a non-competitive "racing environment" (it's a great opportunity to test yourself really) within an inclusive running community spirit, along with local running clubs.

Keep chipping away and the improvements happen. You might want to help the body out with a stretch or two now and again though. I'm sure it would appreciate it! :D

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Well I thought it was you....but now you say that maybe it was me. I’ll take the blame rather than read the last 50 pages or so.

It's just dawned on my (lot of things dawn on me, and it's usually in the middle of the night) that this entirely benign dispute isn't perhaps the best example to showcase the maintenance of the mental capabilities of two of the more senior members of the thread's community! In short, the legs, the lungs and the heart might be in good order but the brain is often left behind at the start line.

In the spirit of Captain - now Colonel - Tom I am proud to accept the honour (somewhat mistakenly) bestowed on me.

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
It's just dawned on my (lot of things dawn on me, and it's usually in the middle of the night) that this entirely benign dispute isn't perhaps the best example to showcase the maintenance of the mental capabilities of two of the more senior members of the thread's community! In short, the legs, the lungs and the heart might be in good order but the brain is often left behind at the start line.

In the spirit of Captain - now Colonel - Tom I am proud to accept the honour (somewhat mistakenly) bestowed on me.

When posting my Strava link to the Preston Park Magic Mile FB page someone commented how great it was that I had done a Gin and Tonic AGostura Bitter Mile. We'll soon be fighting over ownership when it makes money as a huge sporting brand name in the drinks industry.

Talking of lungs that run yesterday really hit me. Breathing is one of my running strong points but no way would I have run yesterdays pace if running near other people. I was a right puffing Billy. Luckily I was alone and after when trotting home I continued to cough my lungs up (very carefully,nowhere near anyone and with no spitting). It must be linked to whatever I had in March/early April that mirrored [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] symptoms. Has not shown in performance but most unusual.

Back to slow, hilly distance for now but will thro in 4-6 1/4 miles at 90 secs during the training week.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
When posting my Strava link to the Preston Park Magic Mile FB page someone commented how great it was that I had done a Gin and Tonic AGostura Bitter Mile. We'll soon be fighting over ownership when it makes money as a huge sporting brand name in the drinks industry.

Talking of lungs that run yesterday really hit me. Breathing is one of my running strong points but no way would I have run yesterdays pace if running near other people. I was a right puffing Billy. Luckily I was alone and after when trotting home I continued to cough my lungs up (very carefully,nowhere near anyone and with no spitting). It must be linked to whatever I had in March/early April that mirrored [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] symptoms. Has not shown in performance but most unusual.

Back to slow, hilly distance for now but will thro in 4-6 1/4 miles at 90 secs during the training week.

That is odd. Was reading the other day that the lung damage from Covid 19 can remain long after the symptoms have cleared up. A bit of scarring can remain for a while for example. If we both had "it" then I wouldn't be surprised if the high end intensity of a quick mile impacted whatever small remaining issues you have.

You have acted as the canary in the mine here. I will come back with slow speeds at first and build up pace gradually.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think it's been great following your progress Bozza. It looks like you're doing a lot of things right, looking to maintain some consistency but keeping it sensible and letting the improvements come to you, not chase after fitness. As I don't really drink I raise a glass of milk to you! :smile:

Yes I think we all know that trying to keep an eye on our diet (within balance) can only be a good thing for our running. The usual plenty of fruit and veg, try to limit processed foods, etc.

The one thing that I usually harp on about is also the importance of sleep to recovery. As we all learnt Bruno was the master at this, with his regimented daily afternoon siestas and going to be bed early. I'm sure he would say prioritising sleep was a key element that kept him competitive for that extra season or two.

Racing is a great way to give yourself a little test now and again. I appreciate it's not for everyone as it can lead to some anxiety and actually I have a tendency to swerve a lot of racing, but I think it's good to have a race or two in the schedule to give me a couple of short, medium and long term goals on the horizon to aim for.

As with all the NSC parkrunners, I think parkrun is an awesome friendly option as an introduction to a non-competitive "racing environment" (it's a great opportunity to test yourself really) within an inclusive running community spirit, along with local running clubs.

Keep chipping away and the improvements happen. You might want to help the body out with a stretch or two now and again though. I'm sure it would appreciate it! :D

I eat lots of the right foods - I'm a veggie - and will have far more than the "5 a day" each and every day, and nearly all of our meals are cooked from scratch, by me. However I can also eat my bodyweight in crisps without too much problem and other savouries, such as cheese are also a weakness.

I'm not brilliant with sleep, but it's something I'm aware of and looking to improve. I'm rarely in bed before midnight, with somewhere between 1 and 2 being common.

I am going to check out some stretching over the next few days. We do the PE with Joe Wicks as a family, daily, and it reinforces that although my legs can churn out a fair few miles without too much of a problem, parts of my body are very much neglected. That includes parts of my legs too - lots of squats and lunges etc, have my legs feeling pretty weary given my running has been relatively light for the past couple of weeks. I figure in the medium-long term this will prove beneficial, so I just have to accept the short-term struggle to get there.

My run yesterday, which was only five miles, felt horrible and I largely gave up on it and just slowly ran home. I'm not particularly relishing today's run either in the wind, so I'm just going to take it very easy once again.

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
I’m not using this post to ‘humblebrag’ but I’m pretty chuffed to have completed the 200km Strava April Distance Challenge. I’ve never run so far in one month before.

However, after looking at the leaderboard I’m amazed to see someone has run 1723km.

That is 57km a day or 35 miles a day.

Is that even possible??

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Couple of landmarks on my recovery run this evening. Passed 600 miles for the year and 186 for the month which surpasses last months record of 155 miles.

Seems with lockdown likely to persist through May or at best gradually eased, I’ve every chance of going higher again. 200 seems a good target.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’m not using this post to ‘humblebrag’ but I’m pretty chuffed to have completed the 200km Strava April Distance Challenge. I’ve never run so far in one month before.

However, after looking at the leaderboard I’m amazed to see someone has run 1723km.

That is 57km a day or 35 miles a day.

Is that even possible??

No, that’s total bollocks. Had a quick look, that guy apparently averages 235 miles a week. So about 100 more than Kipchoge. #stravawanker [emoji23][emoji23]

Well done on 200k, that’s a decent amount of training in anyone’s book

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Had an on and off year with only 190 miles up to April 10th. Managed to run 60% of that total in last 20 days of April with 125 miles.

Put this down to good base winter training, swimming, running without pace objective (especially holding back downhill), core strength work, 48 hour rest blocks and LUCK. Not sure if 115 days alcohol free have helped with Training weight perfect with slight surplus and hydration tons better. My Dad would be ashamed of me.��

150-160 slow miles planned for May with hills.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
January: 14.3 miles
February: 14.5 miles

March: 76.2 miles
April: 118.3 miles

Don't think I've ever had such a contrast between two consecutive two-month periods :lol:

First five miles for May already chalked off, so I'm just shy of 230 miles for the first third of the year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here