Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
There’s my problem with a fast 5k in a nutshell. Could knock a couple of minutes off if I could actually reach a racing weight rather then hovering around 12st (still quicker than when I was 18st though I guess)

Oooh, now you mention it.......[emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

In the USA - where they grown 'em big - heavier runners sometimes identify as 'Clydesdales' . To be one you need to be over 200lbs. I hear that the Gaffer is working on it...…………...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Just used http://benwebb.net/strava/prs.php again to look at my 10km PB history.

Now, I've spent more time not running than running, but this is my history:

08/0215 65:16
23/02/15 59:01
29/03/15 56:32
12/04/15 54:34
21/05/15 51:50
29/05/15 49:36
26/07/15 49:14
03/08/15 49:03
27/10/19 48:01
21/11/19 46:10
01/3/20 45:57
21/3/20 44:34

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Well I'm on a 5 day Corona streak, running from home.
It looks like all the Londoners have come down to their static caravans along the Sea Wall by us, so will be avoiding going that way now.
Think I'll be heading over the fields tomorrow to practice extreme social distance running!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I’m definitely drinking more with no races to aim for. 2 consecutive Saturdays of getting completely shit faced.

How’s everyone else coping?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I’m definitely drinking more with no races to aim for. 2 consecutive Saturdays of getting completely shit faced.

I’m drinking far too much, but it doesn’t seem to be doing my running any harm - far from it!

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012

I enjoyed an 11 mile run in the sun. I’m not too stressed over the race cancellations, today was just about getting out there for the love of it and and finding a bit of time away from the chaos. I wore my new Mizuna wave shoes today after having them sitting in a box for 2 months waiting for some dry weather. Had to retire my 2 year old Hoka”s which were the best £60 I have spent on shoes.

Alcohol consumption remains steady. If we go full lock down that will change :drink:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Steady rather than caning it. Pending total lockdown, still sticking to my plan - I’m not big into races anyway so quite happy to keep plugging away. Probably helps that I’d been ‘off plan’ anyway for a few months until recently so glad to be back on it.

Lots of work to do though. Did 10m this morning, 2 easy, 7 tempo and a cool down. Was hard work, definitely lacking fitness.

If we’re still allowed out, I’m going to hit the training quite hard - might as well make the most of the available time.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I enjoyed an 11 mile run in the sun. I’m not too stressed over the race cancellations, today was just about getting out there for the love of it and and finding a bit of time away from the chaos. I wore my new Mizuna wave shoes today after having them sitting in a box for 2 months waiting for some dry weather. Had to retire my 2 year old Hoka”s which were the best £60 I have spent on shoes.

Alcohol consumption remains steady. If we go full lock down that will change :drink:

I'm really enjoying running for the sake of it, and perhaps running better as a result. I can't imagine full lockdown is far off sadly - it's already happening in France and Lombardy. As per I am trying not to get TOO shitfaced but booze may become my only solace if running goes. That could be interesting.....

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
A bit weird running today, found myself running on the road a lot to get round people whilst maintaining distance, and sometimes holding my breath as I went past too.

Stoke Park wasn't overrun with people though, mostly small family groups keeping themselves apart from others. The only exception was the skate park which was full of younger skaters, the usual Gen X skaters noticeably absent.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Don’t Greg Bobkin and Dazza do that sort of run? I reckon they could beat that time

Nah, I run the more 'normal' races that are organised by the guys who put on the likes of the multi-storey, Amex, treadmill and prison marathons. I did suggest the balcony one to them when I saw the story, though...

A combination of a mild freak-out about social distancing and Mother's Day meant I binned my weekend run and just popped out for a few miles this morning. Staying close to home and – like [MENTION=67]Curious Orange[/MENTION] – was avoiding people by running into the road and the like.

Strange times, but I fear they will get stranger – and more restrictive – so I'll make sure I keep getting outside and running when I can.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Further news. I’m trying to picture [MENTION=25508]soistes[/MENTION] in my head. I’m not 100% certain he is a Kenny Rogers lookalike...

Oooh, now you mention it.......[emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

That's spooky - only yesterday I heard that everyone considers him the coward of the county.

I’ve not got a scooby what you’re all on about [emoji848]. However, having put up with several years of my (clearly visually-impaired) friends and colleagues making ridiculous allusions to some imagined similarity with Jeremy Corbyn, I guess this is a marginal improvement ....

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A bit weird running today, found myself running on the road a lot to get round people whilst maintaining distance, and sometimes holding my breath as I went past too.

Stoke Park wasn't overrun with people though, mostly small family groups keeping themselves apart from others. The only exception was the skate park which was full of younger skaters, the usual Gen X skaters noticeably absent.

Typical Sunday for me where I failed to make it out at all during daylight. I went out around 20:30 for a 10 mile loop of Worthing.

I saw a total of 5 (five) people all the way round.

I can only begin to imagine how many more were out along the seafront earlier in the day.

My inability to get my arse into gear worked in my favour for a change.

Two short runs today: the first to deliver a home learning pack for someone on my son’a year - the family are self-isolating right now, and the second to just round today up to 5 miles. Lovely sunshine but a very chilly wind. I’m not complaining though!

53 days consecutive running now and I’m over 300 miles for the year which, given January was largely an injury write-off, feels good going.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm really enjoying running for the sake of it, and perhaps running better as a result. I can't imagine full lockdown is far off sadly - it's already happening in France and Lombardy. As per I am trying not to get TOO shitfaced but booze may become my only solace if running goes. That could be interesting.....

I absolutely loved running yesterday. I'm obviously in good shape as I'm supposed to be 4 weeks away from a marathon but it was so nice just to go as far as a I felt like going with no worries about getting enough miles in for my training plan. I only did 12k but I didn't really feel like I needed to do any more. The sun was out and there were so many people out walking or running, keeping a good distance from each other though.

It's snowing this morning, turning to rain this afternoon. I might just stay indoors :lolol:

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
15 miles this morning. Drove out to the River Wey to avoid running through Woking. Then followed the river through Send up to Burpham. Very nice and only passed a handful of people. Didn’t have to touch anything with my hands. Wore a mask of sorts, mainly to reassure anybody I passed but people seem to be behaving well, and moved well away as they pass. Except one old couple, who occupied the full width of the towpath and didn’t budge. I nearly ended up in the river trying to give them space.

The aim for Kenya training this week was four straight days of 15 milers. Nice nap after to help the immune system along. Feeling very fit and healthy these days but who knows? The PM is apparently speaking at 20:30. Could be that the option is about to be removed.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Boris allows solo running during lockdown...

Done my run early this morning (6am alarm), will continue on this routine for social distancing purposes for this week.

Clocks change on Sunday so may affect my timings next week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here