Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yeah I set the incline to 2 as I’ve heard it is better in regards to impact and injury prevention. I’ve tried outdoor running but for whatever reason it’s not for me, and I’ve never stuck with it. Too many variables. My main experience on a treadmill is actually incline walking, setting the machine on max incline and a slow and steady pace for a prolonged period. To be honest the 5k running felt easier, certainly was less out of steam compared to roughly the same time period walking incline

Completely get that - I do regular hill-hiking sessions as part of my training, and from an effort perspective they are as hard as running.

Random fact of the day - the traditional 'set the gradient at 1% to replicate road running' theory was initiated by one of the Sport Science Lecturers at Brighton Uni (Jo Doust)

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/888...65CLzfBZTQVJBYHMrbynNraX966AN6gq7hJxtwOrtfbSU

Last edited:

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Yesterday afternoon’s run. Trying to stave off the boredom, and being topical

bd80fcc39545ecfbe9478f3cfb7fde65.jpg

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Eleven-and-a-bit miles for me and the dog out on the trails yesterday.

I did a run I'd been thinking about for a while but not got round to - taking in the three big hills nearby - Cissbury Ring, Chanctonbury Ring and one over the back of High Salvington (not sure if it has a name).

1,300 feet of climbing - I struggled on the last hill, the smallest of the three, which was about nine miles into the run.

For the first time ever I took water and food out with me because, also for the first time ever, I took a bag with me (I've got a small bag with a 2l water bladder that I use for mountain biking). The main reason was to make sure I could give the dog some water to keep him hydrated. I barely touched it myself - all quite a faff, although I guess you get quicker at sorting that bit out before heading out.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Went out for a run, against better judgment as I'm supposed to be resting the knee. Decided to do a timed 5k and to my utter surprise did it in a season's best (21.57), Perhaps it's the 2 weeks rest, or perhaps it's all the walking I've been doing but that was a genuine surprise.
On second thoughts: what a bloody waste not to do it in a proper event.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Went out for a run, against better judgment as I'm supposed to be resting the knee. Decided to do a timed 5k and to my utter surprise did it in a season's best (21.57), Perhaps it's the 2 weeks rest, or perhaps it's all the walking I've been doing but that was a genuine surprise.
On second thoughts: what a bloody waste not to do it in a proper event.

Foolish. Against all advice. Build it up slowly.

Congratulations and hope you’re back!

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Second 5k done in 27:50 so a bit of an improvement on my first go. Both have been done after 30/35 mins of weight training, so will try running alone over the weekend and see what impact to my time that has. Feel like I’m catching the running bug though and that’s the first time I’ve ever been able to say that!

D

Deleted member 2719

I'm on the self-isolation injury bench.

Had a head cold (sneezing and runny nose) after my last 10 miler on Sunday. By yesterday it was in my lungs as an annoying intermittent cough. I would say I'm 99% sure it's not corona but there is absolutely no way I'm going to go for a run to find out until it has buggered off.

I had something similar 14 days or so ago, it started with a roar throat and developed into a cough which after day 5 went to belts of cough for 90 mins at a time, it was a *u*t at times between day 5-8 I thought I may need the hospital as air was in short supply. Then the snot started coming and I am still bringing it up now.

According to Garmin, my vo2 was superior for my age, so not sure how I would handle covid 19 if that wasn't it.

Hope to get out for a very easy 5k over the weekend.

Your right to take it easy. :thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 2719

Second 5k done in 27:50 so a bit of an improvement on my first go. Both have been done after 30/35 mins of weight training, so will try running alone over the weekend and see what impact to my time that has. Feel like I’m catching the running bug though and that’s the first time I’ve ever been able to say that!
As someone who only started running at 53, i would say, set other targets such as 10 sub 28 mins over the year, so many km/month etc.
Otherwise when you might get demotivated when you get to you real level.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Four miles today - was going to be just two very slow rest day miles as part of "PE with Dad" with my 9-y-o, but the sun felt so good I tagged on another two solo miles.

In other news, code EXTRA2020 giving 25% off most things (their words, not mine) at Nike currently.

I've had my eye on the Pegasus 36 Trail for a while, and it feels rude not to snap up a pair right now...

Were: £114.95
Reduced to: £68.47
With discount code: £51.35

Free P&P too.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've also just noticed, on Strava, that my mileage has increased 9 weeks in a row and, unless something strange happens, it will increase this week too. I wish I hadn't noticed this as, with my personality, I'll have to try to resist the urge to keep increasing it!

Jan 13-19: 0.0 miles
Jan 20-26: 2.6 miles
Jan 27-Feb 2: 30.3 miles
Feb 3-9: 31.2 miles
Feb 10-16: 34.4 miles
Feb 17-23: 34.9 miles
Feb 24-Mar 1: 37.7 miles
Mar 2-8: 40.0 miles
Mar 9-15: 40.4 miles
Mar 16-22: 40.7 miles

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well my "cough" such as it was buggered off yesterday and woke up this morning feeling pretty good. Thought I'd test out both my body and social distancing skills over 5 miles and both passed with flying colours. Quite a few people out for a walk or run but social distancing well observed and no big groups anywhere :thumbsup:

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Was out of the house by 6 a.m. this morning and put in another half marathon along the Basingstoke Canal. Glorious weather and hardly a soul out. Very nice indeed.

Still training for Kenya, which has yet to be cancelled. See signature below for info. Have run 65 miles in the last seven days. Not bad but still a fraction of what will ultimately be needed.

Let's face it though. It's going to get cancelled. Best hope is for a year's postponement, which means another year in training. Doh!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Just got back from a run that included Old Shoreham Road. Passed 7 individuals/Pairs/families walking and each time I gave them a wide berth by running in the road. Not one of them said thank you or even acknowledged me. I’m trying to see the good in everyone, but.......the only person to give me the thumbs up was another runner.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
First one mile effort and pleased with my time with a fairly stiff wind.

Measured 1 mile exactly on Preston Park Velodrome. 5:23. My GPS clocked 5:06 for the mile but it was a fair amount out.

A good benchmark for what is likely to be a weekly event for 10/12 weeks minimum.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
First one mile effort and pleased with my time with a fairly stiff wind.

Measured 1 mile exactly on Preston Park Velodrome. 5:23. My GPS clocked 5:06 for the mile but it was a fair amount out.

A good benchmark for what is likely to be a weekly event for 10/12 weeks minimum.

That would equal a sub 4 on the flat! (My Preston Park Velodrome bitterness knows no boundaries.) :thumbsup:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Just got back from a run that included Old Shoreham Road. Passed 7 individuals/Pairs/families walking and each time I gave them a wide berth by running in the road. Not one of them said thank you or even acknowledged me. I’m trying to see the good in everyone, but.......the only person to give me the thumbs up was another runner.

It's funny. I've noticed when out walking that folk are very friendly and considerate. But put on a pair of shorts and you become a bit of leper. I think it's the slack elastic in my shorts that's the problem.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I tried doing laps of my back garden this afternoon, as an experiment to see what it would be like if we were truly confined to home other than essential shopping.

I ran for 20 minutes, so anticipate I covered around 2.5 miles, possibly a touch less given the near-constant cornering. My watch clearly didn't have a clue what was going on as it only tracked 0.86 miles over the 20 minutes. My guess is it doesn't sample location frequently enough so just didn't track me running each relatively short side of the garden accurately.

I then tried running the shortest road lap I can from home. It's about 0.37 miles so 8 laps got me to 3 miles. Boring as hell though.

(Gutted around 1.5 miles from my garden laps won't make it into Strava!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here