Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hardened achilles still stopping me but told one more visit and we'll almost be there. So next Friday hopefully the last visit of the three.

Plans are then for XC training and winter training based on hitting the Brighton Half hard next February. No plan on too much speed.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Hardened achilles still stopping me but told one more visit and we'll almost be there. So next Friday hopefully the last visit of the three.

Plans are then for XC training and winter training based on hitting the Brighton Half hard next February. No plan on too much speed.

A relatively quick fix then. Sensible strategy for winter too.

Lancing PR for me today. Not a fast course in today's conditions and I suspect a tad long: 21.24; AG 79.13%, the 2nd best in a small field (81).

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Best parkrun for nearly three years for me on Hove Prom this morning. 21:15, AG 72.31 - even managed to finish ahead of [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] thanks to his self imposed handicapping system of starting late!

Hoping with a bit more speed work to get sub-21 again.

In other news, I’ve entered Maverick West Sussex in late November - looks fun.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Norwich Parkrun for me. Still running slowly due to Achilles problem; bumped into at least four other Albion runners. Nice setting, but a dull three lap route

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Best parkrun for nearly three years for me on Hove Prom this morning. 21:15, AG 72.31 - even managed to finish ahead of [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] thanks to his self imposed handicapping system of starting late!

Hoping with a bit more speed work to get sub-21 again.

In other news, I’ve entered Maverick West Sussex in late November - looks fun.

Just as I predicted. Well done. Definitely a sub 21 there when you want it. Will update for you.

Norwich Parkrun for me. Still running slowly due to Achilles problem; bumped into at least four other Albion runners. Nice setting, but a dull three lap route

That Parkrun is on my list of DNS for planned Parkruns. Stayed over for it from the Friday night game in the Championship but didn't feel too good in the morning. Others include Oslo couldn't find it in time, Cardiff forgot barcode, Krakow bad back, Oranmore achilles problem.

If your achilles is painful without obvious calf problems it may be similar to mine. Niggly and annoying. Good luck.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
First big in-person race in Toronto today, since the start of Covid. They normally have the Waterfront Marathon this weekend but they changed it to 10k instead this year.

It was one of those rolling start jobs which all the races seem to be doing these days. It was very organised, with everyone given a start window and you just show up and get put into a group in the staging area.

It was a simple out-and-back along the waterfront which meant a pretty strong headwind on the way out and a decent tailwind on the way in. It was tough going in some places on the first half but the tailwind really helped push me to the finish line.

All that meant I got possibly my biggest ever negative split in a race. I crossed halfway at 19:06, and crossed the finish line in 37:41 which is a 23 second PB. I'm very happy with that. I really wasn't sure if I had a PB in me, especially when I was slightly off the pace for the first half.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
First big in-person race in Toronto today, since the start of Covid. They normally have the Waterfront Marathon this weekend but they changed it to 10k instead this year.

It was one of those rolling start jobs which all the races seem to be doing these days. It was very organised, with everyone given a start window and you just show up and get put into a group in the staging area.

It was a simple out-and-back along the waterfront which meant a pretty strong headwind on the way out and a decent tailwind on the way in. It was tough going in some places on the first half but the tailwind really helped push me to the finish line.

All that meant I got possibly my biggest ever negative split in a race. I crossed halfway at 19:06, and crossed the finish line in 37:41 which is a 23 second PB. I'm very happy with that. I really wasn't sure if I had a PB in me, especially when I was slightly off the pace for the first half.

Excellent.
If your still over next month be good for a NSC Parkrun meet. Been a long time. Your choice of date and venue.?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Excellent.
If your still over next month be good for a NSC Parkrun meet. Been a long time. Your choice of date and venue.?

Yes, I'll be over for most of November. I definitely want to try and make a Parkrun. It would be either 13th or 27th November.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Yes, I'll be over for most of November. I definitely want to try and make a Parkrun. It would be either 13th or 27th November.

27th is Amberley Maverick if you fancy that? 23km/13km off road. Should be finished in plenty of time to get back for the 5:30 kick off that day.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Well done to anybody up in Cambridge for either run over the weekend. I had the pleasure of being a snapper for the lovely people at Sussex Sport Photography. Spotted a BHAFC training shirt pass by during the 10k yesterday.

I’m “up on bricks” at the moment. Took a wicked tumble on a trail run in the Surrey Hills. X-ray confirmed no fracture so the working hypothesis is ligament damage. An utter bummer, as it happened when I SHOULD have been in Kenya on the ForRangers Ultra. That should have been last year. Then this year. Now it’s next year.

Next year is a big one. I’ve the Brighton Marathon, Brighton Trail Marathon, Guildford Triathlon (a debut) and the small matter of those 135 miles across Kenya to contend with. Three weeks without running and I’m going SPARE, as it’s become a full blow addiction in recent years. Seeing 9,000 runners out there today was wonderful but did the make the old jealousy valve twitch a wee bit.

Which brings me to my proper running themed query. Does anybody have any recommendations on ankle supports for when I consider gingerly stepping back into the running arena?

Blue&WhiteSea

Jul 5, 2003
Sutton
Hmm, one look at your SB time and I think you could still do a decent time.

I sympathise with having to juggle kids and life around running and a training plan. That's why I always head out early morning. Any other time of the day, it's not gonna happen!

Can't believe after all these years it was a random comment from someone I have never met that has led to me finally signing up for a marathon! Just booked Manchester for April, training plan starts on Sunday.

Snowflake

Jan 11, 2018
Ran the great south run yesterday. My first time doing it . I was allocated to the orange wave but went in the last green wave as had some mates there as well. I must have run an extra 100m dodging a load of slower runners.

It was great weather for it. I felt it was well organised and enjoyed it. Apparently the crowds weren’t as large as usual. I did the 10 miles in 1:14:13 which I am reasonably happy with. I could shave 20 odd seconds off I reckon. (I’m 52).

Anyone else run in previous years and what did you think of this year’s race?

Blue&WhiteSea

Jul 5, 2003
Sutton
Ran the great south run yesterday. My first time doing it . I was allocated to the orange wave but went in the last green wave as had some mates there as well. I must have run an extra 100m dodging a load of slower runners.

It was great weather for it. I felt it was well organised and enjoyed it. Apparently the crowds weren’t as large as usual. I did the 10 miles in 1:14:13 which I am reasonably happy with. I could shave 20 odd seconds off I reckon. (I’m 52).

Anyone else run in previous years and what did you think of this year’s race?

Was my first ever race and kicked off the running bug for me, I like it and should probably do it again soon.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Can't believe after all these years it was a random comment from someone I have never met that has led to me finally signing up for a marathon! Just booked Manchester for April, training plan starts on Sunday.

Ha ha! It's my pleasure. You're now the third or fourth person I've directly/solely persuaded to run a marathon :lolol:

I'll be in Manchester too, but my training plan DOESN'T start on Sunday. And not just because I'm running Beachy on Saturday...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just as I predicted. Well done. Definitely a sub 21 there when you want it. Will update for you.

That Parkrun is on my list of DNS for planned Parkruns. Stayed over for it from the Friday night game in the Championship but didn't feel too good in the morning. Others include Oslo couldn't find it in time, Cardiff forgot barcode, Krakow bad back, Oranmore achilles problem.

If your achilles is painful without obvious calf problems it may be similar to mine. Niggly and annoying. Good luck.

Still crocked with an achilles issue here as well so remaining on 'tickover mileage' at best. I've got calcific AT....podiatrist doesn't think it's terminal, currently on temporary orthotics and about to try a 4 week course of laser treatment but can feel endurance draining away by the week, and no motivation to do anything other than plod at the moment

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

It's been niggly for the best part of a year on and off, but in the last few months, it's developed into a hard bony lump on the back of my right heel - and the pain can be quite severe (it caused me major difficulties about 20 miles into the Brighton Marathon last month and I've not been able to run properly since). It's been diagnosed as "insertional Achilles tendinopathy" - essentially at the point where the Achilles joins the bone the tendon has started to calcify and that explains the bony swelling. The calcium deposits irritate the tendon when I run and that causes the pain. I've consulted several physios (each with a slightly different perspective). There are surgical options apparently (which I'm not keen on for various reasons), but otherwise the consensus seems to be that there isn't much that can be done, other than reduce my running load, avoid hills and experiment with various calf exercises.

Very annoying. Bright ideas welcome.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Still crocked with an achilles issue here as well so remaining on 'tickover mileage' at best. I've got calcific AT....podiatrist doesn't think it's terminal, currently on temporary orthotics and about to try a 4 week course of laser treatment but can feel endurance draining away by the week, and no motivation to do anything other than plod at the moment

Blimey - sounds a bit like what I've got. Is it in the heel or the middle portion of the Achilles?
I'd be interested to hear about the laser treatment. I was thinking of looking at shockwave therapy, but I'd not heard of the laser option.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here