Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Is this was happens when you turn 60? :D

East Brighton is one of those parkruns that turns out much tougher than it looks. 3 laps each a little shorter with the climbs at the start of each lap. The last half mile is a gentle climb and I would recommend trail shoes as it hasn’t stopped raining since you left.

I’d guess around a minute slower than Hove.

I'm also in the 'EBPR is nastier than it looks club.' I'd go a bit further and say that I really didn't like it. Partly this was down to my total incompetence - putting in a sprint when I was well short of the finish, but I would have had a pretty poor time anyway. There's not really any hills but there are slopes and ramps which break up your rhythm. It was also a bit slippery when I did it. I also managed to get stuck behind two guys running side-by-side with buggies. Apart from all that, it was great! I'd take a Hove Park plus a minute any day over that one.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
[MENTION=25508]soistes[/MENTION] - my cousin also ran Auckland Half on sunday, she's a Doctor who emigrated from the NHS to New Zealand. She ran a very similar time to you, and reported that it was the least fun she'd had whilst running a race! Amazing event to go and do though - it's one glaring omission from my running CV at the moment, no foreign race experience. That's something for me to correct in 2020.

Interesting how people can experience the same event differently - I guess for me it was partly the excitement of running major event in a foreign country as the culmination of a great month’s holiday. Plus the fact that, having run loads of races in the UK, it was kind of familiar but at the same time all the little details were different (they even had a bloke after the finish line who’d engrave your official time on the medal - rather than just sending you a plastic itab a few weeks later like in the UK). Whereas for your cousin I guess it was just her local half on familiar territory.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Thanks. Excellent answer. Sorry to waste your time but I meant East Brighton. I am 60 next week......

Brilliant! Well, the good news is they have the keys to the old and unused cafe. So you'll be able to get nice and cosy before and/or afterwards. As the man Penny said, it's fully on the grass and there is a different slope at the start of each lap (they get easier as you go along). There are a few switchback turns and there is a downhill which is TREACHEROUS, I nearly stacked it on the first lap when I was the second person to run down it. By the time the final person had ventured down it the final time, it was a bog.

Man flu wasn’t quite finished with me and haven’t run now for a week. I’m still full of snot and mucus but hoping to be at the start line for Beachy on Saturday. I’ll just walk if required and try to enjoy the day. Quite a few on here doing it and hope to see some of you there.

It's one to enjoy rather than expect much of a performance on. Unfortunately, I don't think I'm going to be able to get over there at all this year. My Nan passed away last wednesday and I need to take my dad over to Rustington to get the estate affairs on the move. I'll be supporting you all in spirit though - and I look forward to the post-match briefs.

Interesting how people can experience the same event differently - I guess for me it was partly the excitement of running major event in a foreign country as the culmination of a great month’s holiday. Plus the fact that, having run loads of races in the UK, it was kind of familiar but at the same time all the little details were different (they even had a bloke after the finish line who’d engrave your official time on the medal - rather than just sending you a plastic itab a few weeks later like in the UK). Whereas for your cousin I guess it was just her local half on familiar territory.

I would enjoy it no matter what I think, just for being in a different country. It's a great memory, and I'm extremely jealous!

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
Hello runners of NSC. I've not posted on this thread before because I guess I didn't really think of myself as a runner, but I'll be on the start line for the Beachy Head Marathon on Saturday so I guess I probably qualify, despite it being the first race I've ever run.

My story: I started running at the beginning of the year to shift a few pounds - it'd been a rough couple of years and I'm something of a comfort eater. I've always been a cyclist but it was too dark to get out on my bike, so I put on a pair of running shoes I'd last used about fifteen years earlier and off I went. I quickly started to get competitive with myself (thank you Strava), getting faster and upping the distances. One beautiful morning in March I set off to do a half marathon distance run on the downs, just to see if I could. And it turned out I could. So in a fit of over-enthusiasm and really wanting to challenge myself, I paid my entry fee for Beachy Head.

Two months later, still upping the regular distances without any real plan, I finished a run and found I could hardly walk, let alone run. This was in the middle of the Great Escape festival and I spent the whole Saturday dragging my sorry unbending leg around Brighton trying to pretend it didn't hurt that much. Cue a trip to a physiotherapist who told me I had flat feet, bow legs (quite a revelation after 40+ years) and had been running in totally inappropriate footwear. I'd had my feet straightened as a toddler and I'm convinced that hadn't helped me either. So: new stability shoes, strengthening exercises, regular physio and the sport that I didn't think was going to cost me anything was proving to be anything but.

My knee was feeling better just at the point where I needed to start my training plan - and yes, this time I had one. Over the last four months I've watched my legs change shape completely, my stomach shrink but nowhere near enough, and taken huge satisfaction from running huge loops over the downs. My training reached its peak three weeks ago while I was away in Italy, 20 miles on what I thought from the map would be a valley road but turned out to be a mountain pass. In that 20 miles I climbed more than I'll have to in 26 on Saturday… and almost busted my knee again. Half an hour of brutal self-massage by the side of the road at the end of an eight mile descent and I was on my way again, worried but still moving. More miles, more spanners in the works as I returned to the UK to find that every non-tarmac surface was like a muddy ice rink, and I didn't think the shoes I'd fallen in love with were likely to keep me upright for the whole race. A quick panic-buying trip to Run in Hove later and I'm desperately trying to wear in a new pair of trail shoes with only 12 miles left to do before the big day. I'm still not totally convinced by them.

Now I'm busy worrying about basic things like: am I right to be taking my usual hand-carried drinks bottle with me? (I think I'm happy with the decision but noone in any of the pictures has one). Where do people go to the loo when there's hundreds of other runners around? Is my new top going to chafe me in ways I'd never imagined possible?

I've been doing all of this completely on my own, and on the long days out on the downs that's been wonderful. But it's been a steep learning curve, and as Saturday approaches I feel like I'm missing a bit of camaraderie. It's time to go public on my dirty little secret.

My name is Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms, and I'm a runner.

Thanks for reading.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Hello Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms, welcome to the NSC Runners. :thumbsup:

I don't think anyone would ever recommend you run a marathon as your first ever event, but that ship has now sailed so let's play the hand you've got rather than a hand you'd prefer! From the sounds of it - you would be well advised not to do any more running before saturday. Nothing you do now is going to make a positive difference, but may potentially have a significant impact. The hills are intense in the first half especially. Yes, the Seven Sisters looms large from mile 18 to the end but you need to get your head around how tough each section of the event is going to be. Plenty of walking is required on this one, mainly to keep you sane as much as for necessity in completing the event!

The food and drink stations along the route are legendary, there are multiple of them and they're very well stocked. There are long periods where you're all alone in the world, but you'll rarely be totally alone because there are loads of runners in the event itself. There are options for stopping off for a nice loo break, but bear in mind it may be a phantom urge.

I would definitely be wearing a compression shirt because in my experience, that is the way to prevent significant chafing. But I wouldn't recommend changing any part of your routine or clothing choices at this stage. Good luck, enjoy - and my word - what an event to kick off with!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Hello runners of NSC. I've not posted on this thread before because I guess I didn't really think of myself as a runner, but I'll be on the start line for the Beachy Head Marathon on Saturday so I guess I probably qualify, despite it being the first race I've ever run.

My story: I started running at the beginning of the year to shift a few pounds - it'd been a rough couple of years and I'm something of a comfort eater. I've always been a cyclist but it was too dark to get out on my bike, so I put on a pair of running shoes I'd last used about fifteen years earlier and off I went. I quickly started to get competitive with myself (thank you Strava), getting faster and upping the distances. One beautiful morning in March I set off to do a half marathon distance run on the downs, just to see if I could. And it turned out I could. So in a fit of over-enthusiasm and really wanting to challenge myself, I paid my entry fee for Beachy Head.

Two months later, still upping the regular distances without any real plan, I finished a run and found I could hardly walk, let alone run. This was in the middle of the Great Escape festival and I spent the whole Saturday dragging my sorry unbending leg around Brighton trying to pretend it didn't hurt that much. Cue a trip to a physiotherapist who told me I had flat feet, bow legs (quite a revelation after 40+ years) and had been running in totally inappropriate footwear. I'd had my feet straightened as a toddler and I'm convinced that hadn't helped me either. So: new stability shoes, strengthening exercises, regular physio and the sport that I didn't think was going to cost me anything was proving to be anything but.

My knee was feeling better just at the point where I needed to start my training plan - and yes, this time I had one. Over the last four months I've watched my legs change shape completely, my stomach shrink but nowhere near enough, and taken huge satisfaction from running huge loops over the downs. My training reached its peak three weeks ago while I was away in Italy, 20 miles on what I thought from the map would be a valley road but turned out to be a mountain pass. In that 20 miles I climbed more than I'll have to in 26 on Saturday… and almost busted my knee again. Half an hour of brutal self-massage by the side of the road at the end of an eight mile descent and I was on my way again, worried but still moving. More miles, more spanners in the works as I returned to the UK to find that every non-tarmac surface was like a muddy ice rink, and I didn't think the shoes I'd fallen in love with were likely to keep me upright for the whole race. A quick panic-buying trip to Run in Hove later and I'm desperately trying to wear in a new pair of trail shoes with only 12 miles left to do before the big day. I'm still not totally convinced by them.

Now I'm busy worrying about basic things like: am I right to be taking my usual hand-carried drinks bottle with me? (I think I'm happy with the decision but noone in any of the pictures has one). Where do people go to the loo when there's hundreds of other runners around? Is my new top going to chafe me in ways I'd never imagined possible?

I've been doing all of this completely on my own, and on the long days out on the downs that's been wonderful. But it's been a steep learning curve, and as Saturday approaches I feel like I'm missing a bit of camaraderie. It's time to go public on my dirty little secret.

Thanks for reading.

You are very much a runner – welcome to the best thread on NSC. It sounds like it's been quite the journey for you to get to the start line, so well done.

All the best for Saturday. I'm jealous because I'd love to have that feeling again of crossing the line after my first marathon. I'm doubly jealous because BH is such an amazing experience that to have it as your first marathon is even better.

In answer to your questions, I would offer the following responses (others here will probably do a better job of advising you):

Water bottle will be fine – there are drink stations en route, but some people like to stick with their own supply.
Bushes, hedges and trees are probably your best go-to toilets.
Brand new top? I wouldn't risk it, unless you either Vasaline yourself up or use plasters over sensitive areas (speaking from experience).

As an extension of the last point, don't do anything different or eat, drink or wear anything you haven't trained with – go with what you know and what works. That might also apply to your new shoes – but only you can probably be the judge of that.

Finally, the banter and friendliness out on the course is fantastic. I normally run solo (and mostly dark mornings, this time of the year), but there hasn't been a trail race where I've plodded along nattering with a complete stranger and everything and nothing. You'll love it.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Welcome [MENTION=1115]Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms[/MENTION]. That's a great first post.

Ignore what [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] says, all the best runners choose a full marathon as their first event. You might as well go "all in" from the start. (Although this sounds a lot tougher than just signing up for the Brighton Marathon as your first event).

My advice for race preparation would be to do a very gentle shakeout run the morning before just to get your legs loose. I usually do a slow-paced 3k. As for the chafing issue, a compression shirt is definitely a good option but if you don't want to do that I'd advise putting a huge dollop of vaseline on each nipple. It's definitely not a good idea to wear something you haven't worn before though, but if you really do want to wear a brand new top I'd recommend washing it first.

Good luck! It's going to be hard but I'm sure you'll have a blast.

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
Hello Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms, welcome to the NSC Runners. :thumbsup:

I don't think anyone would ever recommend you run a marathon as your first ever event, but that ship has now sailed so let's play the hand you've got rather than a hand you'd prefer! From the sounds of it - you would be well advised not to do any more running before saturday. Nothing you do now is going to make a positive difference, but may potentially have a significant impact. The hills are intense in the first half especially. Yes, the Seven Sisters looms large from mile 18 to the end but you need to get your head around how tough each section of the event is going to be. Plenty of walking is required on this one, mainly to keep you sane as much as for necessity in completing the event!

The food and drink stations along the route are legendary, there are multiple of them and they're very well stocked. There are long periods where you're all alone in the world, but you'll rarely be totally alone because there are loads of runners in the event itself. There are options for stopping off for a nice loo break, but bear in mind it may be a phantom urge.

I would definitely be wearing a compression shirt because in my experience, that is the way to prevent significant chafing. But I wouldn't recommend changing any part of your routine or clothing choices at this stage. Good luck, enjoy - and my word - what an event to kick off with!

Thanks! I've run the whole course in two stages so I just about know what I'm letting myself in for (only got beaten by the steps), and despite the worrying I'm really looking forward to it. I've also made a point of starting a load of my training runs at the bottom of the downs so I think I'm ready for the opening sections. I've upgraded from a cheap (and increasingly threadbare) dhb top to a supposedly-better Brooks one because it was chafing on the the long runs anyway, but it's the "don't change what you do" mantra that has me worried. As I said - a steep learning curve!

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
don't do anything different or eat, drink or wear anything you haven't trained with – go with what you know and what works. That might also apply to your new shoes – but only you can probably be the judge of that.

The good thing about the new shoes (Saucony Peregine ISOs) is the grip is incredible compared to my Brooks Adrenaline GTSs, and I feel a lot more confident on the downhills already as a result. But the toebox is a bit more snug than I think I'd like so I'm definitely concerned about the distance. I think the weather over the past few weeks has pretty much decided this one for me though...

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I am DEFINITELY wearing plasters - and I learnt that the hard way! :eek:

This guy from my running club learnt it on Sunday too!

r2b.jpg

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Thanks for reading.
Welcome, and awesome first post.....

Can't really add to the advice. Just take it easy on the day and enjoy it, you will love it. Plenty of food and drink en route, peregrines are perfect and your fellow trail runners will be a friendly bunch.

I'm usually up on the Downs most weekends at some point, always happy to hook up for a plod. Maybe we need an NSC Sunday Social run up there soon??

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 2719

boots on

Thanks. Excellent answer. Sorry to waste your time but I meant East Brighton. I am 60 next week......

Hey, knocky, you have a few years left in you, did you see that geezer on the box who is hurdling at 84 years old???
Mind you; he has had several massive heart attacks.
Although I agree with keeping the heart pumping strong, I also believe your heart can only pump so many times in its life span.

I have known a few runners with heart issues, have you come come across this???

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hey, knocky, you have a few years left in you, did you see that geezer on the box who is hurdling at 84 years old???
Although I agree with keeping the heart pumping strong, I also believe your heart can only pump so many times in its life span.

Most running heart attack deaths are, looking at it statistically, around 30-40. Unfortunately I saw one dying at BM about 7 years back and someone helicoptered out at Hastings Half this year. They were unaware of heart issues.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Not sure [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] would be up to hurdling. Apparently struggles to get his leg over.

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
I'm usually up on the Downs most weekends at some point, always happy to hook up for a plod. Maybe we need an NSC Sunday Social run up there soon??

I'm in BH too so we might have already plodded past each other at some point. I have no idea what sort of running I'm going to be doing after Saturday, I've been loving it but I'd like some of the rest of my life back too...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm in BH too so we might have already plodded past each other at some point. I have no idea what sort of running I'm going to be doing after Saturday, I've been loving it but I'd like some of the rest of my life back too...
LOL, forget that. After Beachy you will be looking for your next race [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here