Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
307 miles for me this year with one run left of this month and quarter. All 3 months greater than 100 miles so I'd like to continue that run through the year, injuries permitting. It would see me break through the 1,200 mile barrier for the first time too.

Noticed Hove Prom yesterday was their highest ever turnout, excluding NYD runs.

Good luck to all the 20 mile runners this morning. I'll look forward to the reports this evening.

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The AW 20 mile was good fun but very difficult for me as I have not recovered from Hastings Half despite not running all week. I achieved my target time at 9:32 pace (toilet stop not included) and now have 2 weeks to recover for BM. I think I may have to use easy cycling and swimming to help flush out the legs and a massage.
It was tough for me from the start despite my easy pace but I managed to avoid coming NSC last by chasing down a 3 minute lead of [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] over the last 5 miles. Excellent run by the not so Mr blobby and hopefully he'll be able to beat [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] on my behalf............................I've had enough already!

Great to see everyone and a well organised community style run for 200 entrants. Well done Jay.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The AW 20 mile was good fun but very difficult for me as I have not recovered from Hastings Half despite not running all week. I achieved my target time at 9:32 pace (toilet stop not included) and now have 2 weeks to recover for BM. I think I may have to use easy cycling and swimming to help flush out the legs and a massage.
It was tough for me from the start despite my easy pace but I managed to avoid coming NSC last by chasing down a 3 minute lead of [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] over the last 5 miles. Excellent run by the not so Mr blobby and hopefully he'll be able to beat [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] on my behalf............................I've had enough already!

Great to see everyone and a well organised community style run for 200 entrants. Well done Jay.

Good running chaps. A nice easy 2 week taper for all of us now I suspect.

Good two races in the bank I reckon [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION]. I'm certailnly not ruling you out and you are the master of pre-race Jedi mindtricks.

Time to start thinking about arrangements over the marathon weekend. I have the Friday afternoon off to get pack with my daughter and then take her on the pier as Saturday is going to be a mix of packing for a break the next week and trying to get to the Bournemouth game. I'll set up a Marathon 2019 whatsapp group for meeting up arrangements on the day etc. I've got yours and Mr Blobby's number, anyone else who wants adding PM me your number......

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Really enjoyed the AW20 today. As usual Sussex Trail Events put on a good race with only around 200 entrants with a really good atmosphere.
After struggling at Hastings last week, I decided to run a very disciplined race and stick with my planned pace, make sure I drank regularly by carrying my own drink and took enough gels. This paid off with a really consistent run - at one point I ran 15 consecutive kilometres between 15:28 and 15:32 even with the turn back into the wind. Finished off with quickest two kilometres and overall a negative split in 2:57. Even survived a very near miss when a bike nearly took me out coming out of a driveway.
Big confidence boost before 20 hilly miles next week and then a steady taper towards Three Forts.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Really enjoyed the AW20 today. As usual Sussex Trail Events put on a good race with only around 200 entrants with a really good atmosphere.
After struggling at Hastings last week, I decided to run a very disciplined race and stick with my planned pace, make sure I drank regularly by carrying my own drink and took enough gels. This paid off with a really consistent run - at one point I ran 15 consecutive kilometres between 15:28 and 15:32 even with the turn back into the wind. Finished off with quickest two kilometres and overall a negative split in 2:57. Even survived a very near miss when a bike nearly took me out coming out of a driveway.
Big confidence boost before 20 hilly miles next week and then a steady taper towards Three Forts.

Great turn around today and great negative split coming back into the wind. Don’t you mean 5:28-32 Kms rather than 15?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Great race today, even though you got me in the end!

Really enjoyed that, apart from the last couple of miles into the wind. Happy to dip under three hours, which was the original unofficial aim!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
After a beautiful day on Saturday for my son's u8 football, with blue skies, light winds and warm sun, Junior Park Run this morning didn't disappoint. Freezing cold, drizzle and an Easterly wind that made me think my ears had fallen off in a bloody mess. Is Park Run always like this?

Run number 25 for my children this morning - an unbroken sequence every Sunday since last October. Given the artic conditions sweeping across Essex, we weren't looking for great times just an enjoynble run, but my daughter smashed her PB and knocked 30 seconds off of it. Where she found that on one hour's less sleep, I don't know.

Roll on Spring.

BenElton'sBrother

Nov 30, 2003
Hove
Well done to all the AW20 runners yesterday – some top efforts there.

I ducked this event but still had a decent weekends running.

Starting off with Parkrun, after last weeks SB I needed to find 12 seconds to convert this to a PB, in good conditions I managed to find 31 and smashed my PB by 20 seconds, down to 21.15.

This PB has been 4 years in the making and no coincidence that the last PB was run on 28/03/15.

Really pleased with this and also being the first time I’ve managed to run all three miles sub 7. Christ, I even finished fourth on my age category, I’m normally easily double figures!

All this though falls into the shadows when compared to the amazing achievement of Hugh Foord – what an inspiration!!

That's the 5k and Half Marathon PB in the bag so far this year, one more target to go, two weeks and counting…

Yesterday was a 16 miler which was somehow run at an average of 8 minutes miles, much quicker than planned and pretty much wiped me out for the afternoon roasty with my mum – oops!

Time to taper now and try and enjoy the trip to Wembley, can’t be any worse than the Saints show surely…

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
More brilliant running throughout the thread over the weekend. :bowdown: As it goes, I was actually up in plenty of time to have done either the planned 19 miler with [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] or the 20 mile race but it was the right decision to rest over the weekend with a view to getting back to training today. I'm going out for a 7 miler now, 8 minute miles are the target but will back off if I feel it is necessary and stop entirely if my hip causes any issues at all. No feeling from it this morning, so it should be ok. We'll soon know!

JDMariner

Jan 30, 2017
Good old Sussex
Morning all, quick bit of advice if anyone can help please? I'm in the BM in couple weeks and just trying to arrange suitable spectating spots for the family so they can cheer me on. To avoid the really crowded sections looks like it may be easier for them to head to Hove station and wander down to mile 14 at start of Grand Avenue & then hopefully cross over to then be around between mile 18/19, then also maybe cross over to seafront to be mile 24ish. Having not been down to the Brighton marathon before does that sound reasonable to any of you with past experience of the BM on race day, or would that crossing of roads to get to those spots be nigh on impossible due to the obvious flows of the other thousands running etc? Thanks for any tips!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Morning all, quick bit of advice if anyone can help please? I'm in the BM in couple weeks and just trying to arrange suitable spectating spots for the family so they can cheer me on. To avoid the really crowded sections looks like it may be easier for them to head to Hove station and wander down to mile 14 at start of Grand Avenue & then hopefully cross over to then be around between mile 18/19, then also maybe cross over to seafront to be mile 24ish. Having not been down to the Brighton marathon before does that sound reasonable to any of you with past experience of the BM on race day, or would that crossing of roads to get to those spots be nigh on impossible due to the obvious flows of the other thousands running etc? Thanks for any tips!

That would be a pretty good spot - good atmosphere at bottom of Grand Ave and along Church Road- fairly crowded but not insurmountable. You might struggle to get across Grand Ave itself - I don’t remember any crossing points - you may have to go round the long way to do this eg via the sea front or Church Road. A good , quieter alternative is New Church Road - easy to get across and see runners go both ways and then nip down one of the roads to the sea front and see them twice again going each way along the sea front.

JDMariner

Jan 30, 2017
Good old Sussex
That would be a pretty good spot - good atmosphere at bottom of Grand Ave and along Church Road- fairly crowded but not insurmountable. You might struggle to get across Grand Ave itself - I don’t remember any crossing points - you may have to go round the long way to do this eg via the sea front or Church Road. A good , quieter alternative is New Church Road - easy to get across and see runners go both ways and then nip down one of the roads to the sea front and see them twice again going each way along the sea front.

Excellent thanks, sounds like your New Church Road option could work best for them. Also opens up the option of having seen me at approaching mile 20 they could walk back up to Hove station & get train back into Brighton to scoop me up after the finish.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Agree with this....good point in the race, busy but not crowded so a decent atmosphere and easy to nip down to the seafront for the later stages.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Excellent thanks, sounds like your New Church Road option could work best for them. Also opens up the option of having seen me at approaching mile 20 they could walk back up to Hove station & get train back into Brighton to scoop me up after the finish.

The best advice has been dispensed first for sure - get them to New Church Road, and then down to the Kingsway (A259) and then again to the promenade to see you back from the Shoreham powerstation. The end is incredibly congested, you have a long walk to get to the end of the finish tunnel which then means an even longer walk back towards the pier to meet people. What I would recommend, unpopular as this will be, is walking up the steps to the A259 coastroad. It will be much quieter up there, you can meet your friends/family much easier and you'll get a bids eye view of the finishers coming through. Just take your time up the steps. :thumbsup:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I'm back I think... a couple of miles in my new shoes, and no apparent reaction from the plantar. Build back up slowly from here, with maybe a gentle parkrun on Saturday before the trip to Wembley.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here