Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good luck [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION] We know what you're aiming at, so no pressure. Enjoy being a snow bird for the taper week in Arizona.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks to [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] and [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] for the shoe suggestions. Popped into RUN in Worthing on Friday and picked up some Saucony Peregrines in fetching orange. Took them out for 7.5 miles of riverbank and SDW action and they felt comfortable and sturdy – much more grip that the Asics.

Time trial around the block this morning saw me way ahead of schedule, before slowing down to not get too ahead of myself and ended up with the same time (when rounded up!) as last week! :dunce:

Be interested to know how you get on with them. I had one pair - really comfy, but useless. Fell apart after less than 100 trail miles.......

Edit.......sorry, wrong make, the Peregrines are good. It was the Asics trail shoes I had that were shite [emoji23][emoji23]

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Be interested to know how you get on with them. I had one pair - really comfy, but useless. Fell apart after less than 100 trail miles.......

Edit.......sorry, wrong make, the Peregrines are good. It was the Asics trail shoes I had that were shite [emoji23][emoji23]

Phew!

Yeah, that was sort of my experience of the Asics, but they were the second pair I had. Both Fujitrabucos (Gen 4 and then Gen 5) and had problems with both. The 4s were faulty because the front 'lip' started peeling off and water started getting in, then the second pair felt like a different shoe, gave me blisters and felt really stiff all in the uppers. Ultimately I got holes on the side (where you normally have bunions on your feet, not sure what bit it's called) on both shoes. It might be a fault – and I might take them back – but I needed a decent shoe to start training now. Weird about Asics, but the road shoes are brilliant!

I'm hopeful for the Peregrines. Off to a good start, anyway.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Phew!

Yeah, that was sort of my experience of the Asics, but they were the second pair I had. Both Fujitrabucos (Gen 4 and then Gen 5) and had problems with both. The 4s were faulty because the front 'lip' started peeling off and water started getting in, then the second pair felt like a different shoe, gave me blisters and felt really stiff all in the uppers. Ultimately I got holes on the side (where you normally have bunions on your feet, not sure what bit it's called) on both shoes. It might be a fault – and I might take them back – but I needed a decent shoe to start training now. Weird about Asics, but the road shoes are brilliant!

I'm hopeful for the Peregrines. Off to a good start, anyway.

Yep, trabuccos, that’s the ones. One marathon ruined them - uppers started to fall apart.

Since moving to Hokas for most of my running I don’t use the Peregrines much, but the were the ones recommended for me by Profeet when I had a full assessment. I did the SDW50 in them and didn’t get a blister. Grip pretty good too (although not as good as Inov-8 on wet downland clay)

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Looking at the table, as it stands currently it really stands out how similar my PBs are to those of dazzer & St Leonard's across all distances.

My marathon time seems a little below par which I was hoping to address this year at Brighton, but given how my training is going, I can't see that happening. There's still time I'm telling myself...

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Phoenix Marathon for me in 6 days time :ohmy: so I'm in full taper mode. It was nice to get outside for a run today with the temperature creeping above freezing for the first time in about 2 weeks. I did an easyish 13k with my running group, dodging the slush now that the big piles of snow have started melting (the downside of the temperature rise).

I'm feeling in good shape for next week. Looking forward to a week in a warmer climate as much as the race itself. The forecast is perfect, 7 degrees and dry at the start and it looks like it won't start to warm up until after I've finished (hopefully).

Good luck Badger! :thumbsup:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Thanks to [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] and [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] for the shoe suggestions. Popped into RUN in Worthing on Friday and picked up some Saucony Peregrines in fetching orange. Took them out for 7.5 miles of riverbank and SDW action and they felt comfortable and sturdy – much more grip that the Asics.

Time trial around the block this morning saw me way ahead of schedule, before slowing down to not get too ahead of myself and ended up with the same time (when rounded up!) as last week! :dunce:

I've also just jumped on the Peregrine bandwagon. Bought myself a pair of Peregine ICE+ and tried them out on the icy/snowy/slushy pavements on Friday. As you say, they are very comfortable and sturdy. The ICE+ version is designed to grip on the icy patches and I've been impressed at just how good they are.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
New PB for me today. A resting heart rate of 36. Beats (haha) my previous 38 and smashes my usual 42-44.
Doesn't really prove anything but tells me that as a lazy runner my sudden increase in mileage is not leading to overtraining.

I may have to do a leaderboard......could do with winning something.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
New PB for me today. A resting heart rate of 36. Beats (haha) my previous 38 and smashes my usual 42-44.
Doesn't really prove anything but tells me that as a lazy runner my sudden increase in mileage is not leading to overtraining.

dbdc8bda4930e4b38a2c0cf055d98ad1.jpg

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Bit of a struggle this morning. Went out with an 8-miler in my head, but then realised the route I was doing was only going to be seven (not sure how, I've done it loads of times before and was SURE it was eight!). Anyway, I didn't bother going the extra mile (literally), because by six my legs were shot to pieces and I'd gone from a 8:04 first mile split to 9:19 for the last one. It's days like today when I don't know HOW I managed to run a sub-4 marathon – or even keep going for the full 26.2 miles!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto

Would there be some kind of reverse age grading? :lolol:

Today my resting heart rate is 60 (I think it's normally in the mid to high 50s, so something has obviously got me excited). Apparently that's on the border of excellent/athlete for my age.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I always go with lined shorts – or cycling shorts under normal shorts – initially to stop by fat thighs chafing, but also for a bit of extra protection.

Yep, this has always been my tactic too. Never had chafing issues down there.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Would there be some kind of reverse age grading? :lolol:

Today my resting heart rate is 60 (I think it's normally in the mid to high 50s, so something has obviously got me excited). Apparently that's on the border of excellent/athlete for my age.

Ha Ha. Not until it suddenly goes to zero................:angel:

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
Has anyone / everyone had their Worthing Half Race packs through yet?

I signed up late but they said they were sending them out last week and nothings arrived yet.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here