Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
:shrug: Obviously not or I would have posted the table.112 points put me somewhere midway. The winners would have even won on AG percentage! Not sure of the real NSC team.
The wife did win 2 ODI cricket tickets, game of choice, at Hove. I'll enjoy a boys day out with those.

See you at the Adur 20. Do you collect numbers on the day?
I assume it will be like every other STE run I've done where you pick up your number at the start. What is everyone's pace/strategy? I'm hoping to keep the turtle going and then release the hare from Lancing on the way home.

Or maybe just eat my way around the course - three aid stations (plus I ordered a bacon sandwich at halfway [emoji23][emoji23])

I was at another pub quiz last night and we came second, but way behind the winners. Bloody swots!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
What is everyone's pace/strategy? I'm hoping to keep the turtle going and then release the hare from Lancing on the way home.

Jesus! If you switch those animals round you'll get [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] pre race routine.:eek::eek:

I'm on a similar strategy as BM is the priority. I'll be on 9:30 to 10:00 first half, may as well eat a lot on the way round and will see how I feel at 15 miles. Guaranteed PB at that distance.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
11 miles in 1:22:19 - 7:29 per mile average pace. I was nowhere near the 7:30 target after 3 miles due to the many hills I tackled, about a minute down after 4 and 40 seconds after 5. Then I piled down the Falmer Road and got myself back on track. By Wild Park I was slightly up on the target pace and I think I may have run mile 9 in 7 minutes flat. There is no consistency in the splits today but ultimately, I got the run done in the right pace. It was 11 miles rather than 10 because of my slight misjudgement of the course. And now I shall be eating! My intention from now is to do all runs prior to eating anything, luckily my job is very afternoon heavy which suits me.

Rest day tomorrow - just a gentle swim in the pool in the morning. No parkrun for me on saturday, I'm going to sit on 99 for a while - possibly until after the marathon, but we'll see.

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012
Hello! Quick question for you clever chaps!

My training for London and Brighton has been challenging with illness, long work hours and co-parenting when not at work (inc w'ends!). But feels like i am getting there just! Last two runs of note were 11 miles in 1:24 last week and 18 miles in 2:37 the week before which is my longest run to date (previous longest was 2x HM's at 1:45 and 1:48 across the 2 weeks before). So I am feeling I may be lacking in the long run dept! The plan is to do 21 miles tomorrow morning before work to get another in! My goal is to do sub 4 for at least one of the 2 marathons.

So, my question to you experienced lot, is after my 21 miler tomorrow do i need another in my legs of similar distance next week and then taper down? Or should I taper down after tomorrow? Issue is I am skiing with my son Friday-Tuesday next w'end so if i don't fit in another 20 miler before we go I am guessing it's bit late to do when i get back? Starting to feel bit nervous about the whole thing as you can probably tell :eek:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The Maranoia is early in you, [MENTION=24077]jimmygull[/MENTION]!

If I were you, I wouldn't want to do another 20 miler after tomorrow, you don't want any overuse injuries at this stage and you'd be better off being fresh for the first and then just enjoy the second marathon. I think you'd be better served by running a couple of 10-13 milers before Brighton as a maximum, so you can be as fit and ready on the day as possible. I don't think you're going to gain too much in another 20 miler after tomorrow, other than potentially boosting your confidence levels a little bit. Based on the times you mentioned, you've got the pace for sub 4 around Brighton if you're measured and considered in the first half, which is hilly, and then grow into the second half and see where you are at mile 23 when you begin the Promenade road to home.

I'd also be wary of listening to advice from [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] and [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] who both also aiming for sub 4 and might give suspicious advice!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I agree with Ninja [MENTION=24077]jimmygull[/MENTION]! The exact plan Guinness Boy will take. Long last run this weekend.
I will actually leave my training plan this weekend and race Hastings Half and then run a 20 mile event 2 weeks out. I can afford to go off piste as sub 4 is not something I'll kill myself more. Que sera, sera......

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Hello! Quick question for you clever chaps!

My training for London and Brighton has been challenging with illness, long work hours and co-parenting when not at work (inc w'ends!). But feels like i am getting there just! Last two runs of note were 11 miles in 1:24 last week and 18 miles in 2:37 the week before which is my longest run to date (previous longest was 2x HM's at 1:45 and 1:48 across the 2 weeks before). So I am feeling I may be lacking in the long run dept! The plan is to do 21 miles tomorrow morning before work to get another in! My goal is to do sub 4 for at least one of the 2 marathons.

So, my question to you experienced lot, is after my 21 miler tomorrow do i need another in my legs of similar distance next week and then taper down? Or should I taper down after tomorrow? Issue is I am skiing with my son Friday-Tuesday next w'end so if i don't fit in another 20 miler before we go I am guessing it's bit late to do when i get back? Starting to feel bit nervous about the whole thing as you can probably tell :eek:
^^ What they said. You'll be fine for sub-4 at probably both races.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012

If I were you, I wouldn't want to do another 20 miler after tomorrow, you don't want any overuse injuries at this stage and you'd be better off being fresh for the first and then just enjoy the second marathon. I think you'd be better served by running a couple of 10-13 milers before Brighton as a maximum, so you can be as fit and ready on the day as possible. I don't think you're going to gain too much in another 20 miler after tomorrow, other than potentially boosting your confidence levels a little bit. Based on the times you mentioned, you've got the pace for sub 4 around Brighton if you're measured and considered in the first half, which is hilly, and then grow into the second half and see where you are at mile 23 when you begin the Promenade road to home.

I'd also be wary of listening to advice from [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] and [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] who both also aiming for sub 4 and might give suspicious advice!

Brill advice thank you and thank you Knocky1 and Guiness Boy, feel more at ease now and will try to calm down!!! Will be good to get this long one out the way tomorrow. Plan is to jump on the train to Littlehampton and run back to Hove to make it a bit more interesting!

Thanks again Guys!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Brill advice thank you and thank you Knocky1 and Guiness Boy, feel more at ease now and will try to calm down!!! Will be good to get this long one out the way tomorrow. Plan is to jump on the train to Littlehampton and run back to Hove to make it a bit more interesting!

Thanks again Guys!

You're welcome, I think the best advice I've ever had during a training schedule is that however you feel today, you won't be feeling it on race day. You'll be in the zone, you'll know what's ahead and how to do it. For now, get your miles in and running back from Littlehampton is a great shout - I've often got a bus somewhere and then run home, it saves doing a loop or a switch back etc. Enjoy the run. :thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yep I’ve got 20 miles planned for Sunday then taper. My cold has got worse today though so that plan is currently a bit flexible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
3 x 10 lengths in the pool this morning, 8:45, 8:41, 8:57. No idea whether these splits are good or terrible, I suspect closer to terrible than good. :lolol: But the key is getting in there and getting it done. No running for me today, just the nice paddle in the pool. Tomorrow brings 20 mins at 8 mins per mile, 50 mins at 7:15 per and then another 20 mins at 8 per. No parkrun for me, I'm going to end my streak of 11 consecutive parkruns and stick around on 99. Might mean a casual sleep in for me!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
3 x 10 lengths in the pool this morning, 8:45, 8:41, 8:57. No idea whether these splits are good or terrible, I suspect closer to terrible than good. :lolol: But the key is getting in there and getting it done. No running for me today, just the nice paddle in the pool. Tomorrow brings 20 mins at 8 mins per mile, 50 mins at 7:15 per and then another 20 mins at 8 per. No parkrun for me, I'm going to end my streak of 11 consecutive parkruns and stick around on 99. Might mean a casual sleep in for me!

Terrible. :lol: Definitly good for loosening up though as long as you're not stressing the support of your head too much.

On a running note the Strava stats are showing an impressive return to speed and distance for the Ninja.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Terrible. :lol: Definitly good for loosening up though as long as you're not stressing the support of your head too much.

On a running note the Strava stats are showing an impressive return to speed and distance for the Ninja.

:dunce: I'm a wonderfully slow swimmer. I am a very unnatural swimmer, at some point I am going to take some proper lessons. I'd like to be one of the pacy folk in the fast lane but I'm pretty relaxed about swimming. It's only a recovery swim anyway, so it's not a disaster to be pedestrian!

Cheers gaffer, the bar has been raised by [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION] and I've fallen a long way behind [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] with the timings. I've dropped 10kg since mid-January to help pick up the pace and I'm flying at the moment. All being well, I'll go into the marathon having already run 600 miles for the year. I'm at 385.7 right now so with the 30 miles over the weekend I'll be comfortable through the 400 mark.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
:dunce: I'm a wonderfully slow swimmer. I am a very unnatural swimmer, at some point I am going to take some proper lessons. I'd like to be one of the pacy folk in the fast lane but I'm pretty relaxed about swimming. It's only a recovery swim anyway, so it's not a disaster to be pedestrian!

Cheers gaffer, the bar has been raised by [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION] and I've fallen a long way behind [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] with the timings. I've dropped 10kg since mid-January to help pick up the pace and I'm flying at the moment. All being well, I'll go into the marathon having already run 600 miles for the year. I'm at 385.7 right now so with the 30 miles over the weekend I'll be comfortable through the 400 mark.

Just so you know, I didn't do any swimming during my marathon training. :D (Ridiculous form of exercise)

That's some impressive mileage though. Certainly looks like you're going into it in good form.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Just so you know, I didn't do any swimming during my marathon training. :D (Ridiculous form of exercise)

That's some impressive mileage though. Certainly looks like you're going into it in good form.

Hopefully it'll bear fruit when I defeat your short held NSC marathon record. :thumbsup: But probably not! I'll be having a go later in the year though, my intention is to see what I can get done around Brighton and then try to maintain this level of pace and train for the Isle of Wight Half Marathon in August with plenty of racing in between and then target the Bournemouth marathon in October for another PB effort. All being well, that's the one I'll be looking at seriously for a sub-3 hour time but I've still got a long way to go from where I am, to where I would need to be.

The thing that gives me confidence is knowing that I'm better holding pace for a long time - I don't have any real confidence that I could run 6 minute miles for even a parkrun distance, but I think that I could get close to running 6:50 for 3 hours, with the right preparation. We'll see - I've always died a death on marathon day, my best stands at 3:29:12 so going under 3:15 is the first target for Brighton. If I can go 1:35 in the first half, which is the hilliest part, I know that I should be able to replicate the time in the second half which is essentially pancake flat. We'll see. I'm just excited about how the training has gone so far, hitting every milage target to date and not feeling like I'm clinging on at the end. Tomorrow always brings another session though...

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012

Right that's done then, 21 miles in 3:08, and pretty decent energy at the end so reasonably happy with that. Although I know that pace would only mean a 3:55 marathon so a lil bit close for comfort if I want to do sub 4. Will be checking in for all your sub 4 tactics. I guess crowd etc is worth a good few seconds on your mile pace come race day. Quick question for Ninja E. So I'll plan to do a 10-13 miler next week, should that be done at a decent pace or is it more of a plod round to keep everything moving? Right now I am liking the sound of the latter!

Getting the train to Littlehampton was a good move, made it more interesting especially when i got lost around Angmering! It's surprisingly difficult to keep by the sea the whole way!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Hopefully it'll bear fruit when I defeat your short held NSC marathon record. :thumbsup: But probably not! I'll be having a go later in the year though, my intention is to see what I can get done around Brighton and then try to maintain this level of pace and train for the Isle of Wight Half Marathon in August with plenty of racing in between and then target the Bournemouth marathon in October for another PB effort. All being well, that's the one I'll be looking at seriously for a sub-3 hour time but I've still got a long way to go from where I am, to where I would need to be.

The thing that gives me confidence is knowing that I'm better holding pace for a long time - I don't have any real confidence that I could run 6 minute miles for even a parkrun distance, but I think that I could get close to running 6:50 for 3 hours, with the right preparation. We'll see - I've always died a death on marathon day, my best stands at 3:29:12 so going under 3:15 is the first target for Brighton. If I can go 1:35 in the first half, which is the hilliest part, I know that I should be able to replicate the time in the second half which is essentially pancake flat. We'll see. I'm just excited about how the training has gone so far, hitting every milage target to date and not feeling like I'm clinging on at the end. Tomorrow always brings another session though...

Sounds like a solid training plan. Similar to me, although mine was slightly more spread out. I did a marathon last May, putting in a huge PB with 3:06. Then I had a little bit of a break before ramping up the training for a half marathon in October (big PB again), which took me straight into my training for Phoenix in February. I think the key is to be in good condition going into the start of your training.

I have a feeling [MENTION=11816]Artie Fufkin[/MENTION] is going to be taking my crown in Manchester though.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
So my training plan has a 20 miler tomorrow, then, 18, 12, race day.

Does that sound about right? 18 two weeks before sounds quite far!

Still not sure what pace I’m looking at. Have run 2 sub 4 hours but I’m not sure I’m up to that at the moment. Thinking of trying a 9:15-9:30/mile pace for the 20 tomorrow.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here