Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I think numbers 3 to 6 were all in my race. No official results in as far as I know.

It’s a really good event and I’d love another chance soon but will probably have to wait 12 months.

Just turning up without much of a plan wasn’t the best idea. Next time I’ll set my stall out for consistent laps and see where that takes me.

Consider joining Arena80. Only £15ish a year. Money off race entries almost pays that back. Track training Monday's at Withdean, a number of track events to race during the summer and a winter of XC races.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Consider joining Arena80. Only £15ish a year. Money off race entries almost pays that back. Track training Monday's at Withdean, a number of track events to race during the summer and a winter of XC races.

I might do that. The only consideration for me is my long run is Sunday so tend to use Monday as a rest day or a slow recovery run, I'd have to probably re-jig my running routine.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I might do that. The only consideration for me is my long run is Sunday so tend to use Monday as a rest day or a slow recovery run, I'd have to probably re-jig my running routine.

I haven't done Monday Track since November last year for that reason. The answer is to run slower on Sunday but that's difficult on your schedule. I'm away September and October otherwise I'd take you along for a tester.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Is membership open? I heard there were qualification requirements....I'd be interested in a bit of quality speedwork from time to time

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Is membership open? I heard there were qualification requirements....I'd be interested in a bit of quality speedwork from time to time

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Plenty of incomers this year. I was told I had to be able to run a 25” 5k. Luckily they didn’t base it on my marathon time��

It’s Arena80 Peacehaven Parkrun day out next Saturday. I can ask then. Wouldn’t it conflict with BH Runners?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Plenty of incomers this year. I was told I had to be able to run a 25” 5k. Luckily they didn’t base it on my marathon time

It’s Arena80 Peacehaven Parkrun day out next Saturday. I can ask then. Wouldn’t it conflict with BH Runners?

Thanks - I’m not a member of BH Runners, haven’t been so for a few years......

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Strange sort of interval session for me this morning. Inspired by the visit to the quack and [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] 's advice I ran between easy and steady until I felt a pull on my knee, then stopped and stretched, carried on running and so on. Got a 55 min steady/aerobic session out of it and 12 minutes stretching. Another 15 mins going through every stretch I know back at home.

Taking a week off running from tomorrow as we're away at the Manor again and I will be more than kept busy with golf, tennis and raising of the right elbow :drink:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Strange sort of interval session for me this morning. Inspired by the visit to the quack and [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] 's advice I ran between easy and steady until I felt a pull on my knee, then stopped and stretched, carried on running and so on. Got a 55 min steady/aerobic session out of it and 12 minutes stretching. Another 15 mins going through every stretch I know back at home.

Taking a week off running from tomorrow as we're away at the Manor again and I will be more than kept busy with golf, tennis and raising of the right elbow :drink:

Saw you running by Marocco's this morning as I headed off to do some allotment weeding before Hove Parkrun. As someone who has run behind you more than I would like I thought you looked uncomfortable. Looking at Strava I now see that was when you were suddenly increasing the pace, so understandable. Enjoy your week off.

I ran Hove park today, failed to get below 22:00 (22:08) and got out sprinted to the line by an old fellow in the 50-54 age category. Need to find another 5% for Arena's Parkrun Series at Peacehaven next week.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I had a bit of a [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] moment today as I woke up at 8.22 and had planned to run to Worthing. Cue a quick few miles and joining behind the back of the field!

I hold my hands up and admit that my scepticism about Lancing parkrun was totally wrong. It's a great parkrun and the route works really well. Running the first part on the green allows the field to spread out a bit, which was one of my concerns. Nice and friendly marshalls (a few that I knew) and obviously cake at the end helped [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Finally edged 500 this morning. After a low mileage 3 weeks came back with 6m Friday, parkrun and 7m this morning. It's killed me but no sign of injury. Need to pile it on in time to rest for Saturday at peacehaven.

Noticed the mackerel are jumping this morning so will shoot down with the rod and then hope to get 6 hours rest watching cricket and not 2 hours.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Finally edged 500 this morning. After a low mileage 3 weeks came back with 6m Friday, parkrun and 7m this morning. It's killed me but no sign of injury. Need to pile it on in time to rest for Saturday at peacehaven.

Noticed the mackerel are jumping this morning so will shoot down with the rod and then hope to get 6 hours rest watching cricket and not 2 hours.

I've never gone for the annual miles figure, possibly because it reveal me as a shirker and imposter! But this morning I decide d to run some 1k repeats. I only did 4, and had a too long break in between them, but amid the dross there was a 4.03 and - difficult for me to comprehend - a 3.49. Can you order a Stewards Enquiry on your own performance?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I've never gone for the annual miles figure, possibly because it reveal me as a shirker and imposter! But this morning I decide d to run some 1k repeats. I only did 4, and had a too long break in between them, but amid the dross there was a 4.03 and - difficult for me to comprehend - a 3.49. Can you order a Stewards Enquiry on your own performance?

Sub 20 on the cards?

I like Garmin stats. They show that every year I start running first week of January for marathon training. By April I’m so knackered from 500 sudden miles that I **** up BM. I then run a quick 5k 2 weeks after and then do little running beyond Parkrun till Xmas.

I then repeat the cycle. Perfect explanation of my marathon failures.

This year I hope to do the 500 between now and Xmas and enter 2020 ready to do another 500. I will also adapt a steely Ben Stoke’s determination to see it through......or try at least.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Sub 20 on the cards?

I like Garmin stats. They show that every year I start running first week of January for marathon training. By April I’m so knackered from 500 sudden miles that I **** up BM. I then run a quick 5k 2 weeks after and then do little running beyond Parkrun till Xmas.

I then repeat the cycle. Perfect explanation of my marathon failures.

This year I hope to do the 500 between now and Xmas and enter 2020 ready to do another 500. I will also adapt a steely Ben Stoke’s determination to see it through......or try at least.

I've as much chance of doing a sub 20 as England have of winning that Test. Seriously I'm nowhere near even 21 right now.

But perhaps your experience shows that the high mileage route to success isn't for you? We are all different and I think you respond best to the shorter, sharper sessions?

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Not had a great week! After my fall last Sunday (from which I thought I had just about recovered enough to run), I now seemed to have picked up food poisoning, spent all last night throwing up and felt awful all day today! I blame a dodgy turkey salad I had for lunch yesterday.
And the BA strike is the day I should be flying to Warsaw for the marathon !!! Grrrr - it can only get better!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I've as much chance of doing a sub 20 as England have of winning that Test. Seriously I'm nowhere near even 21 right now.

But perhaps your experience shows that the high mileage route to success isn't for you? We are all different and I think you respond best to the shorter, sharper sessions?

Higher mileage and hills work best for me at slower paces, when I’m out of shape. Helps prevent injury too.

A 5k is 80% endurance, stamina from slow twitch muscles and 20% speed from fast twitch muscles.

If I can get to 21:00 again this autumn I”ll then do a 6 week sprint plan.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Really good day at Atherstone 10k yesterday. Was scorching hot but its such a beautiful hilly ******* of a course I just had a lovely run round. My sister in law decided on Friday that she wanted to come with me (she's only ever ran up to 5k before) and as I was just using it as a training exercise for a 10 mile race in two weeks I trotted round with her in just over an hour. Her goal was under 1:15 and we finished 1:05 so she was delighted. Taking such a comfortable pace compared to my recent 5:15 km half marathon training runs made it very enjoyable and it brought back nice emotions from my first 10k last April. Also made me realise how far I've come as I wasn't out of breath at any point despite some serious hills. It was a good day :smile:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Had a crack at the King's Head Canter which is a lovely little 5K in deepest East Sussex (the equivalent to the Louisiana swampland to a coastal dweller like me). Lovely point-to-point run with a small field (250 ish) comprising of locals and some very good club runners in particular Arena 80. You even get free pint at the pub by the finish. But a hard little event - undulating and very, very hot - I spend most of the year moaning about the wind n Worthing but how we could have done with a breeze off the sea..

Not sure of my placing or time but I did see the back of Mr Gasson's shirt from a distance. I was approx. 22.38 which wasn't bad for the course and conditions but looks a bit shabby when (I think ) the course record was broken by a sub15.

They have a really nice little race within a race for locals. Teams of 3 and rather than finishing times the placings are determined by the combined AG scores. Never seen that before.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here