Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Looks like the Brighton 10k, formerly The Brooks is in doubt this year. Issuing refunds for anyone who’s signed up. Looks like they don’t want to use the event management company.

I'd be very surprised if the event doesn't take place - but we lost the Bright10 due to costs. I hadn't signed up for it, but I was going to.

Agreed. Nice course.

I've now done all 19 Sussex parkruns thus confirming my status (jealously guarded) as 'NSC Parkrun Tart'. So if anyone is ever thinking of doing a new one (to them) I'm always happy to give an opinion.

I've done 18 courses in total, but I couldn't even NAME all 19 Sussex parkruns! I've knocked out Hove Park, Hove Prom, Preston Park, Bevendean Down, Lancing, Worthing, Seaford, Tilgate and Peacehaven - a magical 9. 10 to go. :ohmy: Including East Brighton park, which I've never even considered doing as of yet.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Looks like the Brighton 10k, formerly The Brooks is in doubt this year. Issuing refunds for anyone who’s signed up. Looks like they don’t want to use the event management company.

People are finally seeing the light that 10k races are the devil's work! :lol:

More likely people around here have more options over that distance, the event costs have gone up (which is what happened with the South Downs marathon) and runners are tackling longer distances.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
People are finally seeing the light that 10k races are the devil's work! :lol:

I think my Mrs agrees with that, she was muttering about transfering her place at Yateley tomorrow (or it might be next week) to me, not that I can do much other than plod round at the moment!

Last edited:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I think my Mrs agrees with that, she was muttering about transfering her place at Yateley tomorrow (or it might be next week) to me, not that I can do much other than plod round at the moment!

It is next week - 3rd August. So I have a week to lose about half a stone! :jester:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I'd be very surprised if the event doesn't take place - but we lost the Bright10 due to costs. I hadn't signed up for it, but I was going to.

I've done 18 courses in total, but I couldn't even NAME all 19 Sussex parkruns! I've knocked out Hove Park, Hove Prom, Preston Park, Bevendean Down, Lancing, Worthing, Seaford, Tilgate and Peacehaven - a magical 9. 10 to go. :ohmy: Including East Brighton park, which I've never even considered doing as of yet.

Hi Ninja - the Sussex cluster of Parkruns is rather conveniently listed on the link.

http://www.sussexraces.co.uk/sussexraceseventarchive.html

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Hi Ninja - the Sussex cluster of Parkruns is rather conveniently listed on the link.

http://www.sussexraces.co.uk/sussexraceseventarchive.html

Cheers, GNT. :thumbsup: My concern, though, is that I like to do the parkruns each year so you've got the records - but the more courses you do, the fewer you're going to be able to do each year. I'd like to pile into Tilgate Park this weekend, as I'm picking someone up at Gatwick, but I'm not 100% sure it's reasonable. I'm definitely wanting to do the Sussex parkrun tour before the end of this year though, for sure!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Just signed up for the Philadelphia Marathon weekend on 23rd-24th November. They have a half marathon and 8k on the Saturday, then the full marathon is on the Sunday morning. I'll be doing the 8k as a slightly extended shakeout run, then I'm pacing my friend in the full marathon. She's aiming for a 3:30 so I'm going to have to do some real training, but it should leave me in good shape to kick off my Boston training in December.

I'm mainly doing it because one of my friends really likes medals. There's a bonus medal for doing Pittsburgh and Philadelphia in the same year, plus bonus medals for doing multiple events over the same weekend. He did the 5lk/half in Pittsburgh and he's planning to do half/8k/full in Philadelphia. I'll be surprised if he can still walk after that!

It's the year of the P races for me: Phoenix - Pittsburgh - Philadelphia

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
So on Saturday/Sunday I did the Tromso Midnight "Sun" Marathon. Sadly it should have been called the Rain, rain, rain, cold rain, cold puddle and rain marathon. It was the most miserable marathon of the 13 I have now completed. We guessed it rained for 24/26.2 miles. Tromso is a lovely place , it would have been even better of we had seen the sun at some point. It was an undulating course (roughly twice the amount of elevation compared to Brighton). As I got colder the muscles started to stiffen up, and it was so tempting at half way (when you went alongside the finish line) to give up. 1,020 finished with a large number of DNS and just as many DNFs. I will tick this one as a learning curve, it was nice not to be too hot but first time I have been that drenched and when your feet are cold due to the cold puddles, you struggle to open your gels as your hands (even with gloves on) almost too cold to function. I finished in 4.50, mainly down to some fellow Brits as we encouraged each other to keep going. The hot berry drink at the end was so welcome. I couldn't stop shivering at the end despite the 3 hot drinks and foil blanket so headed straight back to the apartment for a hot shower. There were virtually no runners at the finish line as everyone did the same or crammed back into the small city hall which they reopened for cold runners! It was certainly an experience! Starting at 8.30pm and finishing at 1.30am was also a whole new experience. I think that added to the tiredness in the final few miles. To cheer ourselves up we went to see Tromso v Rosenborg on the Sunday evening. The northernmost top league ground in the world. About 100/150 away fans made the 1,200km trip, fair play on a 6pm Sunday KO Tromso 1.jpgTromso 2.jpgTromso 3.jpg

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
So on Saturday/Sunday I did the Tromso Midnight "Sun" Marathon. Sadly it should have been called the Rain, rain, rain, cold rain, cold puddle and rain marathon. It was the most miserable marathon of the 13 I have now completed. We guessed it rained for 24/26.2 miles. Tromso is a lovely place , it would have been even better of we had seen the sun at some point. It was an undulating course (roughly twice the amount of elevation compared to Brighton). As I got colder the muscles started to stiffen up, and it was so tempting at half way (when you went alongside the finish line) to give up. 1,020 finished with a large number of DNS and just as many DNFs. I will tick this one as a learning curve, it was nice not to be too hot but first time I have been that drenched and when your feet are cold due to the cold puddles, you struggle to open your gels as your hands (even with gloves on) almost too cold to function. I finished in 4.50, mainly down to some fellow Brits as we encouraged each other to keep going. The hot berry drink at the end was so welcome. I couldn't stop shivering at the end despite the 3 hot drinks and foil blanket so headed straight back to the apartment for a hot shower. There were virtually no runners at the finish line as everyone did the same or crammed back into the small city hall which they reopened for cold runners! It was certainly an experience! Starting at 8.30pm and finishing at 1.30am was also a whole new experience. I think that added to the tiredness in the final few miles. To cheer ourselves up we went to see Tromso v Rosenborg on the Sunday evening. The northernmost top league ground in the world. About 100/150 away fans made the 1,200km trip, fair play on a 6pm Sunday KO View attachment 111983View attachment 111984View attachment 111985

One word: awesome! (Oh, and a second one: respect.)

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Very hard speed session tonight on Hove Prom. Mile pace went slowly backwards but overall s good session.

The purpose of the post though is to get opinion from the group on the following injury/discomfort.

It’s my left arse cheek. Every time I pick up the pace I can barely walk afterwards. It’s been getting progressively worse but after a couple of days rest or slower paced running I feel ok.

I’ve been reading up about it so I think I’ve got an idea but any glute advice appreciated.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Very hard speed session tonight on Hove Prom. Mile pace went slowly backwards but overall s good session.

The purpose of the post though is to get opinion from the group on the following injury/discomfort.

It’s my left arse cheek. Every time I pick up the pace I can barely walk afterwards. It’s been getting progressively worse but after a couple of days rest or slower paced running I feel ok.

I’ve been reading up about it so I think I’ve got an idea but any glute advice appreciated.

I've been CALLED a pain in the arse before, but that's about all I can add...

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Can we make this a glute free thread? (Sorry!)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Could try lying Flat on back engage core bringing bent knee up and down to chest pushing slowly back and towards side.

Rolling your arse on a knobbly roller may be fun. Good excuse for A&E I find.

A week of running 2” of pace could be beneficial.

I’ve no idea but good luck.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
A bit more proof that I'm a) old and b) built for stamina, not speed – last place in the Dad's race at sports day this morning. Got a chance to redeem myself this afternoon with the Key Stage 2 lot, but I'm not holding my breath :dunce:

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
A bit more proof that I'm a) old and b) built for stamina, not speed – last place in the Dad's race at sports day this morning. Got a chance to redeem myself this afternoon with the Key Stage 2 lot, but I'm not holding my breath :dunce:
Have you requested AG ratings to see if age is the main factor and in fact you won when that handicap is taken into account?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Have you requested AG ratings to see if age is the main factor and in fact you won when that handicap is taken into account?

No point – the guy who came second is two weeks older than me... :ffsparr:

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

Hopefully it's just tight glutes. As [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] suggests, foam rolling your glutes should help free up the tightness. I'd suggest avoiding any high intensity work for sure. Simple daily squats and lunges work wonders to build up glute strength (injury prevention) and give it time.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm going to be taking [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION]'s advice as well - my left hamstring has been a little tight the last few days and there just feels to be a weakness there. I was going to attend the session with [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] last night but it didn't feel right on the jog down there. I think it was [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] who said something about 3 days now saves 3 months later, that was in my mind.

I did a Wattbike Endurance test at lunch today instead, 40 minutes of hard revolutions. I was sweating like a turkey in December very quickly and was a dripping mess about 20 minutes into the session, which was not ideal! Also, the Wattbikes are positioned opposite the entrance so every poor sod walking in saw me at my absolutely sweatiest. Shambolic!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here