Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Whilst we’re waiting for the scores on the Brighton doors, the 12 hour thing was a failure sadly. Was going really well for the first 3.5 hours or so, then started to get a niggle in my left hip flexor - hurt to run but not walk, so plugged on until the 4 hour turnaround hoping the change of direction would help. It didn’t really, so plodded on for a bit but was unable to run much at all after that so called it a day at 6 hours. Could have carried on walking but I didn’t enter the event to walk half of it - definitely some mental weakness there too. It was incredibly cold, and walking meant that I was just getting colder and colder - when I finished (2am) I was wearing 6 top layers, 2 pairs of gloves and a wooly hat but sat in the car for 20 mins shivering uncontrollably.

It’s not too bad this morning, just tight, but need to wait to see what happens when I try to run

https://strava.app.link/Fn83RCoISV

Ditto. Had hip problem at the marina 10 miles in FFS and front of thighs hurting. Was thinking of throwing in the towel at my house just over half way but thought I was running for the Martlets and needed to get over the line walking or crawling, so kept going. Sure I'd have given up otherwise. Had a friend in [MENTION=4949]7:18[/MENTION] in similar situation. Overtaken by a determined [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] whilst walking before Hove Lagoon. Decided to run a bit but thighs couldn't take more than a mile. Ended up walking 5 miles before overtaking hundreds of people who'd overtaken me in the last 3 miles in the final mile.

All in all another good day out seeing many friends and family, gained a Personal Worst of 4:38:46 and had a good time at the Martlets tent afterwards. Must add that I was coughing yellow phlegm from my chest and nose all the way round and have been crap all week but that shouldn't hit the muscles.

Best joke shout was in Kemp Town. A rough voice " Get on with it I'm waiting to cross the road!" May also have to reconsider my plans to retire from marathons........

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Ditto. Had hip problem at the marina 10 miles in FFS and front of thighs hurting. Was thinking of throwing in the towel at my house just over half way but thought I was running for the Martlets and needed to get over the line walking or crawling, so kept going. Sure I'd have given up otherwise. Had a friend in [MENTION=4949]7:18[/MENTION] in similar situation. Overtaken by a determined [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] whilst walking before Hove Lagoon. Decided to run a bit but thighs couldn't take more than a mile. Ended up walking 5 miles before overtaking hundreds of people who'd overtaken me in the last 3 miles in the final mile.

All in all another good day out seeing many friends and family, gained a Personal Worst of 4:38:46 and had a good time at the Martlets tent afterwards. Must add that I was coughing yellow phlegm from my chest and nose all the way round and have been crap all week but that shouldn't hit the muscles.

Best joke shout was in Kemp Town. A rough voice " Get on with it I'm waiting to cross the road!" May also have to reconsider my plans to retire from marathons........

You looked on good form on Church Road. Congrats and mega respect :thumbsup:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Well done for gutsing it out.....we all know it’s bloody miserable when things don’t go well......

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Plus my last mile was my fastest. That was the plan without the walking getting in the way.............

Anchorman

Oct 19, 2007

Running through the pain barrier and keeping going for the sake of your charity is as commendable as any PB, so it's well done and big respect from me!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Sounds like my run from a couple of years ago. Everything going to plan and then BANG - it all falls apart. Well done for sticking it out and getting over the line!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I did an ultra today 2 mile to PP, 26.4 miles somehow, and then 2 mile walk home. My biggest mileage PB. Shame I can’t walk up the stairs now.

Annoyingly, I’m actually fine. Went to bed at 4am after getting myself back to normal temperature, got up at 9.30 and went out for a stroll. Been fine all day. It’s only when running the hip flexor plays up, so will give it a day or two and see how it is.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

Sounds like a real nightmare - I saw you with about 400m to go the finish (you didn't hear me shout), and you were going at what looked like a pretty decent pace. Given that pace at the end, I was puzzling why you weren't a bit further up the field. Now I understand! Kudos for sticking with it.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Well done to all the BM runners. Conditions were extremely tough and the last 10k must have felt like 10 miles with the strong easterly.

Really enjoyed watching it again after the 10k. Looks like the leaderboard won’t need updating on my part. My watch timed me at 38:35, yet the official time has me at 38:40. Those 5 secs mean no pb. Hopefully they’ve got it wrong as I’ve never been more than 1 second out before.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Can we have a PW column in the league table? My 4.52 marathon puts me above [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION]...………….Seriously, that sounded very grim. Hope you're OK in the morning.

I’ve got a London 5.20 on my cv.......re-tore a calf muscle at Cutty Sark, took 3 x 400mg ibuprofen, got a nice St Johns girl to strap it up and walked the rest.......

Edit - then had 4 months out as the tear ended up as a grade 3. Don’t do it kids [emoji23][emoji23]

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I should be capable of the PW table, if nothing else.

It was actually a weak attempt at humour, but it might have legs...………….The trouble is that the real PWs are DNFs. Even 'better' I was going to do the Eastbourne Track-Star marathon in May but it's a DNS as during the early weeks on training I simply came to terms with the fact that marathons are not for me. I hate the bloody things. I might not be alone - today at least!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It was actually a weak attempt at humour, but it might have legs...………….The trouble is that the real PWs are DNFs. Even 'better' I was going to do the Eastbourne Track-Star marathon in May but it's a DNS as during the early weeks on training I simply came to terms with the fact that marathons are not for me. I hate the bloody things. I might not be alone - today at least!

Was thinking of doing that one......

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Gutted for you.

Also had a personal worst. Given that was only my second marathon it was always going to be one or the other though. The millstone is still round my neck as I came in at 4.16.16

All on track till around about 19 and a half but still went through 20 in exactly 3 hours. Half a mile before that, though, my old friend cramp attacked my left hamstring. Had to manage it round, initially with a huge gulp of water which then gave me a stitch but was then fine until the power station turn where calf cramp, the other hamstring cramp and that ruddy headwind slowed me to a slow walk.

Made like a granny with walking poles until the peace statue, got a massive bit of encouragement from a mate I wasn't expecting to see and let the crowd take me home at 11 ish pace.

Strangely not that upset. From the first cramp it was about getting home and not letting down REMF. A year's training begins after a week off in Devon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here