Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
In fact next weekend I'm doing a hilly double header. Bevendean Parkrun on Saturday. Was a challenge with [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] but I have had to concede defeat early as will have no chance of catching a man in form.
Sunday is https://portsladehedgehoppers.com/hedgehopper-5/ This a 5 mile run from Portslade sports centre up to SDW along a bit to the Dyke and back down. Part of the West Sussex Fun run League entries available on the day.

Training days for me but maybe see some of you there.

Did this one last year. Gets a bit congested on the narrow trail at the start but otherwise is a good run. There's a bit of a trek from the sports centre to the start. Usually a big turnout.

I did the Barcombe event today - the 6K as opposed to the 10k which get a better class of runner. Apparently I came 5th, and was told several times that I was 'first adult' with only youngsters in front. As a certain Mr A. Hansen might almost have said 'you don't win anything against kids'!

Beautiful course, the whole community out in force and all for a good cause (African partner village). Running at its best.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Three Forts for me yesterday. I love Three Forts.

Used it mainly as a training run for Menorca Costa Sud 85k on May 18.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Did this one last year. Gets a bit congested on the narrow trail at the start but otherwise is a good run. There's a bit of a trek from the sports centre to the start. Usually a big turnout.

I did the Barcombe event today - the 6K as opposed to the 10k which get a better class of runner. Apparently I came 5th, and was told several times that I was 'first adult' with only youngsters in front. As a certain Mr A. Hansen might almost have said 'you don't win anything against kids'!

Beautiful course, the whole community out in force and all for a good cause (African partner village). Running at its best.

Good info about the narrow path. I'll go off faster than planned and setlle down after a few minutes.

Good luck in Menorca [MENTION=88]Bob![/MENTION] looking forward to the race report.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Get there early - I turned up on the day a couple of years ago and it was full.

Ok thanks for the warning. I might see if I can enter this week then to guarantee a place. I probably need an easy week, my lower left back isn’t feeling great so probably need to get up to Coral’s. I’ve not been there since the departure of Jesus.

Had a nice 25k run Saturday which I enjoyed but my back today has felt pretty bad. Went out for 75 minutes today and top the NSC leaderboard! Possibly the first and only time ever.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Three Forts for me yesterday. I love Three Forts.

Used it mainly as a training run for Menorca Costa Sud 85k on May 18.

From NSC Strava Club, looks like three of us did it yesterday.

Its billed as 'the tough one' and so it proved for me. First time I have done an off road, hilly marathon so a bit of learning exercise. Started off well, through Cissbury and out and back to Devils Dyke, walking up Truleigh as I'd told myself to do, and got to half marathon distance on 2:10, pretty comfortable and thought 4:30-4:40 could be in sight. Then I really struggled up Chanctonbury after the pig farm around 21 miles and ended up walking for a kilometre after the top. The last 10km were very tough and I walked/jogged most of the way finally finishing in 4:54. I found the terrain really hard on my feet, the flinty, rutted paths needed a lot of concentration especially when tired - I know quite a few people tripped and fell.

Pretty tired today but happy enough - I can call myself an ultra runner now! It is a great event, brilliantly organised, very relaxed and of course wonderful scenery. Might be back for the half next year!

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Its billed as 'the tough one' and so it proved for me. First time I have done an off road, hilly marathon so a bit of learning exercise. Started off well, through Cissbury and out and back to Devils Dyke, walking up Truleigh as I'd told myself to do, and got to half marathon distance on 2:10, pretty comfortable and thought 4:30-4:40 could be in sight. Then I really struggled up Chanctonbury after the pig farm around 21 miles and ended up walking for a kilometre after the top. The last 10km were very tough and I walked/jogged most of the way finally finishing in 4:54. I found the terrain really hard on my feet, the flinty, rutted paths needed a lot of concentration especially when tired - I know quite a few people tripped and fell.

Pretty tired today but happy enough - I can call myself an ultra runner now! It is a great event, brilliantly organised, very relaxed and of course wonderful scenery. Might be back for the half next year!

It's not an Ultra, it's just a long Marathon
;-)

My fifth time of doing it, and have loved it every time. My times have varied depending on my fitness from 4.57 to 6.01.

This time really was mainly a training run, after Barcelona Marathon in March I hadn't got enough long runs in as prep for the Menorca event. (Holiday, illness.....), entered this a fortnight ago to ensure I did get one in. So no pressure on time at all, I'd guessed at about 5.30. Surprised myself with a fair bit of (slow) running up some of the hills in the second half of the event.

I wore back pack and soft flasks that I'll be using in Menorca, and even had poles attached to the back pack as I expect I will need them in the second half (have never used poles before). So I got the poles out with 5 miles to go, and used them on the uphills ( I hate that last uphill with no views from about 23 miles).

Finished in 5.33.00

Last edited:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Hello all! Have I missed much in the 8 pages which have happened during my holiday?! I've been in America. I ran in Chicago (GPS had no chance!) and Oklahoma but stopped trying to keep getting out there. I'm getting back on the training trail tomorrow and saturday will be parkrun number 100 for me. Been sat on 99 for quite a while, need to decide where to go for the milestone run. :thumbsup:

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Hello all! Have I missed much in the 8 pages which have happened during my holiday?! I've been in America. I ran in Chicago (GPS had no chance!) and Oklahoma but stopped trying to keep getting out there. I'm getting back on the training trail tomorrow and saturday will be parkrun number 100 for me. Been sat on 99 for quite a while, need to decide where to go for the milestone run. :thumbsup:

Who needs Chicago and Oaklahoma when you have Bevendean on your doorstep. Perfect course to celebrate your 100th milestone. Just so happens Knocky and I are there on Saturday along with the Arena crew.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Not according to [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] you can't :lol:

Well done and welcome to the trail marathon world!

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I did the Mid Sussex Marathon over the bank holiday - thoroughly enjoyed it again, despite the hills! All good training for RTTS which is 9 weeks on Saturday.

The EG 10 miler was 653 feet of climbing, HH 10 miler then 776 feet and finally the BH10k was 413 feet, so a total of 1,842 feet (for comparison Brighton Marathon is 598 feet - all based on my Strava measurements).

Its such a great fun 3 days, I think possibly the friendliest run that I have done as you get to know people over the three days. All three routes a great mixture of mainly trail and some road. It was quite hard on the feet this time as the ground is pretty hard.

My combined time was 4.00.32 ( 1.35.24, 1.28.55 & 56.13) - last year I did it in 4.30.44 so happy to have knocked over half an hour off it, but conditions were a bit better this year ie it wasnt about 50C!

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Milton Keynes Marathon for me yesterday. The course is a bit meh, and the stadium finish is a bit shit to be honest, but enjoyed it all the same. Finished in 4-16-27 which is less than 90 seconds off my bp. I had my knee in an ice pack every night for a week leading up to the race and wasn't expecting to do so well. Struggled from mile 20 onwards, so had to walk/run combo the final 6 miles. Well organised event to be fair, nice t-shirt and medal at the end as well.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Looks like a very busy weekend of running. Well done everyone :clap2:

I had a great weekend in Pittsburgh. It's an interesting city with some nice architecture and an awful lot of building work and gentrification going on. We stayed in a fantastic neighbourhood celled Lawrenceville, which was absolutely packed with breweries and restaurants. We made it to a couple of them on Saturday afternoon, and I think we went to 6 of them on Sunday after the race (the less said about how I felt yesterday morning, the better!)

As for the race, I really enjoyed it. Most of our group (including myself) were doing the half marathon, without taking it too seriously. Pittsburgh is a very hilly city, so it's not an easy race. The half wasn't too bad in that respect, a few ups and downs and one big climb towards the end but nothing to really worry about. I was glad I wasn't doing the full marathon though, because that had a fair amount of climbing in the second half.

I wasn't looking for a PB in this race. My goal was to enjoy it and try and come in a little bit under 1:30. I did exactly that, although perhaps a bit faster than I was planning on. It's hard not to get caught up in the race, especially as this one had a lot of HM runners because it was the American HM Championships. I felt comfortable most of the time, and the last climb was the only time I really needed some willpower. The last 2k was all downhill then. A guy at the top of the climb shouted "you've reached the top, it's all downhill to the finish" so I absolutely gunned it to the end. My last km was a 3:35, which is my 5k pace! Crossed the line in 1:25:34, my second fastest half marathon.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Right on sister - fooCkin sweatband wearers. :lol:

[tweet]1125326941740052480[/tweet]

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Run along the prom looking at the boats while they're doing it! :bowdown:

Magnificent and good for her. I understand the anger, when I lived on Church Road, prior to discovering running, I hated marathon day! Now I realise how daft I was.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Milton Keynes Marathon for me yesterday. The course is a bit meh, and the stadium finish is a bit shit to be honest, but enjoyed it all the same. Finished in 4-16-27 which is less than 90 seconds off my bp. I had my knee in an ice pack every night for a week leading up to the race and wasn't expecting to do so well. Struggled from mile 20 onwards, so had to walk/run combo the final 6 miles. Well organised event to be fair, nice t-shirt and medal at the end as well.

Me and my mate were watching just at the sign where the half marathoners go off to the right, although we may have just gone by the time you went through. I've only done two (London and Berlin) so MK would be stuff on nightmares - I know the area and the redways would do my head in.

They are very good for training though!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here