Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Talking of the Downs had a good day at the Sussex old codgers XC at Coombes Farm today. Decided I wanted to win the 60+ group for Arena but Michael Miller at 62 wasn't making way for a young debutant whippersnapper. I led him up the Downland Devil climb out the valley on lap1 but on lap 2 he took me half way up it. I battled back to gain the summit in front of him but he was a tough **** and chased me down and won with ease by 10+ seconds.

Strange run a bit like doing Bevendean 1 and a half times without any flat at all.

I'll get the Preston Park and Hove Park SBs and PBs from the results page for the table. Anyone I miss post your times and I'll add.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
My comeback was delayed at the last minute, but I'm contemplating heading out tomorrow. We'll see...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
4th at Preston Park in a new PB of 17:54. :albion: It took everything I had, but very pleased with the result and the performance. Sorry [MENTION=25508]soistes[/MENTION] - we haven't met. Are you joining the gang at the Bedgebury 10?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
@%1;
4th at Preston Park in a new PB of 17:54. :albion: It took everything I had, but very pleased with the result and the performance. Sorry [MENTION=25508]soistes[/MENTION] - we haven't met. Are you joining the gang at the Bedgebury 10?

I didn’t realise that was a 5k PB. Well done. Not the easiest course either as we discussed at the end.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Had one of those runs this morning that just worked. Despite worrying about being tired after parkrun yesterday the opposite was true, Had bundles of energy for an aerobic run (mid 8 miles anyway). But, most importantly, gave a debut to the new Saloman hydration vest. Have to say a big thanks to [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] - it is awesome. Easy to reach gels and love the collapsable water bottles in the front. Only used one of them today and only issue was a little bit of flapping when it emptied - soon sorted by finding the plastic ring that holds it in place. Really comfortable and acted as an extra layer on a cold morning. Highly recommended,

https://www.strava.com/activities/3024113668

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Some good running over the weekend.

Nice to see some NSC regulars at Preston Park yesterday where we all seemed to have course pb’s in perfect conditions. I prefer Preston Park over Hove but as we discussed after I can’t say which is the quicker course. An SB 20:54. Happy with that as been trying to go sub 21 for a few weeks now.
All of yesterday’s good work was then undone as dry January came to an abrupt halt at the game and felt so dreadful today I couldn’t face running.

Sorry not to know who [MENTION=25508]soistes[/MENTION] is as would have said hi.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Cheers folks, very pleased!

Strange run today though, aiming for 90 minutes at 8:45 and couldn't contain myself to start with and then couldn't get back up to pace at the end. I lost my way a bit, pacingwise, but nothing too concerning. Pleased with the weeks training on foot and on bike - bring on the next week!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Cheers folks, very pleased!

Strange run today though, aiming for 90 minutes at 8:45 and couldn't contain myself to start with and then couldn't get back up to pace at the end. I lost my way a bit, pacingwise, but nothing too concerning. Pleased with the weeks training on foot and on bike - bring on the next week!

Great training build up so an off day is no problem.

You are now just a hair’s breadth away from the Fufkin’s NSC all time fastest 5k or a pair of Nike Vaporfly away......

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I miss parkrun, though Guildford wasn't on this weekend due to Stoke Park being waterlogged. Nice to see so many of NSC's finest enjoying their local events though.

A 6:30 start saw me crack out a cold and frosty 17 Mile with target 8:11 pace. I've never started quite so early before, and it was novel observing the sun come up. Not much fun going up Guildford High Street towards the end of the run though!

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Decided on two long slow runs this weekend. On Saturday I parked up at Sussex Uni and ran up to the South Downs Way and ran through Ditchling Beacon and beyond. Some stunning views on a perfect running day, sadly no phone with me to get any pictures. Ticked off just over 11 miles and 1,109 feet of climbing. Sunday it was out early running around the hills of West Hoathly. My legs were tired from the Saturday run but ticked off another 15.4 miles and 1,210 feet of climbing. All done at a slowish pace, but this was about the back to back running and hills. Now its time to step up the pace in the next couple of weeks and the single run miles. Feeling really good at the moment and purchased new trail and road shoes Sunday afternoon. Yesterday was 11 weeks away from the Manchester Marathon.
WH 200120.jpg

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
From the sidelines........some immense running over the weekend!

I did manage another sub 24 5k which is small beer compared to the achievements of others. Speaking of small beer, I note [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] falling off the dry January wagon. I only lasted until the 9th: the combinaton of no running and no drinking was just to much to bear.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Good running yesterday I’ll update soon.

Just got yesterday’s sobering results in. 17th out of 37 over 60’s shows the strength of the Saga runners.

https://www.sussexathletics.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/2020mastersxc-results-provisional.xlsx

Thanks for providing the link. I recognise many of those names, some of whom I've been chasing (without much success) since 1988. Even more scary there seem to be quite a few newbies in the category - like you, freshly-minted old gits (spot the slight contradiction there). Good performance and should make your next Parkrun, on firm ground, a stroll in the park.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here