Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
A 'landmark' Junior Park Run for us today.

After several months of steadily climbing through the field and increasingly achieving 2nd or 3rd place Gender finishes, my 9 yo daughter finally got the 1st place Gender finish she has been aiming for, on run number 36. And to cap a great JPR this morning, my 8 yo son also managed to knock 13 seconds off his PB. (He is slightly miffed as he only turned 8 last Friday, so his AG today wasn't as good as his previous PB recorded when he was 7. I think today was the first time he realised that getting older isn't always great!)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

After several months of steadily climbing through the field and increasingly achieving 2nd or 3rd place Gender finishes, my 9 yo daughter finally got the 1st place Gender finish she has been aiming for, on run number 36. And to cap a great JPR this morning, my 8 yo son also managed to knock 13 seconds off his PB. (He is slightly miffed as he only turned 8 last Friday, so his AG today wasn't as good as his previous PB recorded when he was 7. I think today was the first time he realised that getting older isn't always great!)

Fantastic, another (sort of) NSC running thread winner :clap2:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Not many of us have won a Parkrun. [MENTION=11816]Artie Fufkin[/MENTION] has I think. I managed a 2nd place in a slow field at Margate. Excellent running from both of them.

Tell the lad that he can look forward to getting older at some point in his running career! Age Grade must go down with age until they reach somewhere between 15-18? Not sure when it is? Maybe 18. Once this point is reached the Age Grade percentage goes up every year. Providing you can run at a similar pace on older legs

Last edited:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Not many of us have won a Parkrun. [MENTION=11816]Artie Fufkin[/MENTION] has I think. I managed a 2nd place in a slow field at Margate. Excellent running from both of them.

Tell the lad that he can look forward to getting older at some point in his running career! Age Grade must go down with age until they reach somewhere between 15-18? Not sure when it is? Maybe 18. Once this point is reached the Age Grade percentage goes up every year. Providing you can run at a similar pace on older legs

I’m not sure what the age categories are but if there is a 25-29 age group that’s where a lot of the 5k-10k best times will sit. I’d imagine the 30-34 age group (again if there is one) will be where the HM & Marathon records are.

I go into a new age group from October when I reach 40. I’ll be interested to see how much it impacts my age grading. Still some unbelievable 50+ runners around which is heartening.

There is one guy must be 65+ has a pony tail (can’t remember his name) who just set a Park Run pb after about 300 Park Runs. Incredibly at that age he is still improving. I think he had a 90%+ AG for a c.18:40 Worthing Park Run.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I’m not sure what the age categories are but if there is a 25-29 age group that’s where a lot of the 5k-10k best times will sit. I’d imagine the 30-34 age group (again if there is one) will be where the HM & Marathon records are.

I go into a new age group from October when I reach 40. I’ll be interested to see how much it impacts my age grading. Still some unbelievable 50+ runners around which is heartening.

There is one guy must be 65+ has a pony tail (can’t remember his name) who just set a Park Run pb after about 300 Park Runs. Incredibly at that age he is still improving. I think he had a 90%+ AG for a c.18:40 Worthing Park Run.

Paul Whelpton. The sort of bloke that makes the rest of us search for our carpet slippers...……………...

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
A ParkRun PB of 25:30 today and I have entered the Brighton Marathon :) Nowhere near the standard on here but after a rear of pain I am starting to feel like I can push on and improve.

After 10 months of real shin splint problems and various hospital appointments I feel like it's starting to get better finally and I can start to push myself again. Fingers crossed as all I want to do is run pain free.

Glad to hear you're back out there running mate! Injuries are rubbish. I'd suggest keeping your runs at an easy pace over the next few weeks to gradually build up that aerobic fitness. No harm in parkrun'ing if you don't feel any discomfort but easy-paced aerobic running is your friend.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

I've managed to place 1st a few times at a couple of local parkuns in the area near me (Canons Park, Aldenham, Cassiobury park), but they're not at the size and standard of the parkruns that most of you guys run in Brighton, Hove, Worthing etc. Would love to have a go at all of those one day.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Talking of parkrun victories, I picked up my 3rd on saturday in Canterbury. It was a run which started in a park, ran up a pathway and then back down the hill again, turn around and repeat x 3. Up and down the hill three times and then back through to the park for the finish. It was an altered course due to a festival taking place in the adjacent field. I let the lead man show me the way in the first 3km and then hurled him in the bin for the last 2km. I was mildly hungover, and my car engine has developed a misfire which made me concerned about getting home in one piece - but I made it home in the parkrun in first place, and got home in my car too. Lovely! And got smashed at a wedding, ending the day with my trousers tucked into my socks, my tie around my head and leading the charge of, "Will Grigg's on fire!". Lovely. :bowdown:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Talking of parkrun victories, I picked up my 3rd on saturday in Canterbury. It was a run which started in a park, ran up a pathway and then back down the hill again, turn around and repeat x 3. Up and down the hill three times and then back through to the park for the finish. It was an altered course due to a festival taking place in the adjacent field. I let the lead man show me the way in the first 3km and then hurled him in the bin for the last 2km. I was mildly hungover, and my car engine has developed a misfire which made me concerned about getting home in one piece - but I made it home in the parkrun in first place, and got home in my car too. Lovely! And got smashed at a wedding, ending the day with my trousers tucked into my socks, my tie around my head and leading the charge of, "Will Grigg's on fire!". Lovely. :bowdown:

You’re on great form lately. Hopefully the running is getting there too......

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
You’re on great form lately. Hopefully the running is getting there too......

weddingpic.jpg

:lolol: I'm going to target some pace work this week, and no further alcohol.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
View attachment 111897

:lolol: I'm going to target some pace work this week, and no further alcohol.

Great picture.

You should try and get yourself along to Tom’s Tuesday night club. Typically you run 10k in intervals. Sometimes 6x1 mile or 4x 2.5k.

I’ll be there, injuries permitting. I’ve got a really uncomfortable side and down to the left glute. Will monitor before deciding to run or not.

It was at its worst yesterday straight after the Hassocks Downland 5 which is part of the West Sussex league. A 12:30 meant it was hot and the course was undulating so I found it tough. Results not out yet but I clocked myself at 31:49 and somewhere between 20-25th. Some pretty good club runners there.

It was slightly uncomfortable at the start of my Sunday long run but eased up and gladly far less reaction afterwards. Went for hills so up to Ditchling Road, down Stamner Park around the Amex and back up Coldean Lane.

Should be good prep for the East Sussex Maverick 23k race on Saturday morning.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Great picture.

You should try and get yourself along to Tom’s Tuesday night club. Typically you run 10k in intervals. Sometimes 6x1 mile or 4x 2.5k.

I’ll be there, injuries permitting. I’ve got a really uncomfortable side and down to the left glute. Will monitor before deciding to run or not.

It was at its worst yesterday straight after the Hassocks Downland 5 which is part of the West Sussex league. A 12:30 meant it was hot and the course was undulating so I found it tough. Results not out yet but I clocked myself at 31:49 and somewhere between 20-25th. Some pretty good club runners there.

It was slightly uncomfortable at the start of my Sunday long run but eased up and gladly far less reaction afterwards. Went for hills so up to Ditchling Road, down Stamner Park around the Amex and back up Coldean Lane.

Should be good prep for the East Sussex Maverick 23k race on Saturday morning.

How does it work, do you just show up and run?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I let the lead man show me the way in the first 3km and then hurled him in the bin for the last 2km.

:lolol: :clap2: :clap2:

My daughter's PR nemisis was there today. As she walked to the start-line I told my daughter to get herself into a comfortable stride, then drive her into the ground like a ****ing tent peg.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
It sounds like there's been some really solid running from the NSC Runners this weekend! :thumbsup:

I have a couple of races coming up this week. Wednesday evening is the 4th & final race of the Herts Midweek League 10k. At the sharp end of the field there's a really good standard of county club runners. The league is over 4 Wednesdays, in four different locations (Harpenden, Harlow, Watford, Stevenage), each roughly 10k, and billed as road races but the last three have all been mix terrain and the most recent one was more like a cross country mudfest. I'm running for Watford Joggers after being "scouted" :lolol: earlier this year. We're currently sitting 1st in the league in the Men's Overall and Men's Vets and 2nd in the Women's Overall. If all goes well on Wednesday we'll get promoted from Div 2 and Div 1. I'm finding them really fun as you're racing for a place, not a time. So far I've placed 7th, 12th & 10th out of around 400 at the last three races. I was just wondering if there's a similar Midweek league in Sussex?

Then on Friday lunchtime I'm racing at the Serpentine Running Club's Last Friday of the Month 5k in Hyde Park with a couple of guys from work. The field for these are well and truly stacked with a lot of seriously rapid guys and girls. Managed to dip under 17 minutes with a 16:55 PB last time out (pre-Manchester Marathon). I'm nowhere near that shape at the moment so hoping to sneak under 18 minutes.

Oh and I hit 1000 miles in 2019 earlier this week. Targeting 2019 miles this year. :lolol:

Have a good week of running guys! Go easy now :thumbsup:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
It sounds like there's been some really solid running from the NSC Runners this weekend! :thumbsup:

I have a couple of races coming up this week. Wednesday evening is the 4th & final race of the Herts Midweek League 10k. At the sharp end of the field there's a really good standard of county club runners. The league is over 4 Wednesdays, in four different locations (Harpenden, Harlow, Watford, Stevenage), each roughly 10k, and billed as road races but the last three have all been mix terrain and the most recent one was more like a cross country mudfest. I'm running for Watford Joggers after being "scouted" :lolol: earlier this year. We're currently sitting 1st in the league in the Men's Overall and Men's Vets and 2nd in the Women's Overall. If all goes well on Wednesday we'll get promoted from Div 2 and Div 1. I'm finding them really fun as you're racing for a place, not a time. So far I've placed 7th, 12th & 10th out of around 400 at the last three races. I was just wondering if there's a similar Midweek league in Sussex?

Then on Friday lunchtime I'm racing at the Serpentine Running Club's Last Friday of the Month 5k in Hyde Park with a couple of guys from work. The field for these are well and truly stacked with a lot of seriously rapid guys and girls. Managed to dip under 17 minutes with a 16:55 PB last time out (pre-Manchester Marathon). I'm nowhere near that shape at the moment so hoping to sneak under 18 minutes.

Oh and I hit 1000 miles in 2019 earlier this week. Targeting 2019 miles this year. :lolol:

Duckworth Lewis puts you at minus 50 miles today for the 2019. Come on put some effort in FFS.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

All sounding impressive. I don't think there's the equivalent mid-week league here. I can't speak for East Sussex but in West Sussex there's the West Sussex Fun Run League. (link attached). There are 18 member clubs and each one hosts a 'home' event. Some are in the evenings; others on Sundays. I'm not sure how standards compare across different counties but lets put it this way: if you rocked up, you'd be a lot nearer the front than the back of all the events! (Anyone can do them - not just club members - and they are very cheap and cheerful.)

http://westsussexfunrunleague.org.uk/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here