Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
First post on this thread, but been lurking for a while. Took up running last year as realised how unfit i am and now have most definitely got the bug.

2 weeks ago however i pulled a muscle in my chest whilst out and havent been able to run since, its still very much aching and causing pain and discomfort. I know alot of you dont like them but supposed to be running a 10k tomorrow. Anyone had any experience of a pulled chest muscle and have any advice?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
First post on this thread, but been lurking for a while. Took up running last year as realised how unfit i am and now have most definitely got the bug.

2 weeks ago however i pulled a muscle in my chest whilst out and havent been able to run since, its still very much aching and causing pain and discomfort. I know alot of you dont like them but supposed to be running a 10k tomorrow. Anyone had any experience of a pulled chest muscle and have any advice?

That doesn’t sound good. Has it been properly examined and diagnosed? I wouldn’t run.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Welcome to the thread, I should think that there are a lot of lurkers but any runner is welcome here!

Toward the end of the Brighton Marathon this year I felt my core generally seizing up a bit - I was trying to stretch it out in running but it was really uncomfortable and slowed me down quite dramatically. If it wasn't an event, I'd have stopped very quickly. I would definitely seek proper advice, you'll probably just need to rest unless there's something potentially more sinister happening.

In truth, I'd probably still run the 10k. :lolol: But wisdom would be to think longer term, rather than competing in this particular event. Alternatively, give it a go and if you're not feeling too good - there will be plenty of medical people around to seek out!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Welcome (and welcome to the world of running injuries). Couple of things :

-if it is still causing pain and discomfort as you say, don't run. You absolutely won't make it better and could very easily make it much worse
-if you're sure it's a muscle injury, maybe give it a few days and see if it eases, but if not go and get it checked out

It's really, really common for new runners in particular to get an injury and then jump on a forum and ask 'if anyone has had.......' type questions (I've definitely done it). Thing is though, none of us on here have the first clue what you've done or what it might be, so any advice (other than don't make it worse, and go and get it checked out) is going to be bollocks, frankly. You need a proper diagnosis to be able to get the right treatment.

Anything that stops you running is as frustrating as hell when you've got the bug (my worst was 6 months with osteitis and a stress fracture in my pelvis - I thought it was a hernia), but my coach has a saying that goes something along the lines of 'you've got a choice - take 3 days off now to rest and repair, or 3 months off after you've f*cked yourself up completely'

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Welcome to the thread, I should think that there are a lot of lurkers but any runner is welcome here!

Toward the end of the Brighton Marathon this year I felt my core generally seizing up a bit - I was trying to stretch it out in running but it was really uncomfortable and slowed me down quite dramatically. If it wasn't an event, I'd have stopped very quickly. I would definitely seek proper advice, you'll probably just need to rest unless there's something potentially more sinister happening.

In truth, I'd probably still run the 10k. :lolol: But wisdom would be to think longer term, rather than competing in this particular event. Alternatively, give it a go and if you're not feeling too good - there will be plenty of medical people around to seek out!

Thanks, yes it is very tempting to run it tomorrow but not sure thats the correct move right now. Think it may just be a matter of resting and going stir crazy.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I've never been interested in track running, but the more [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] posts about his adventures, the more interested I become. It's definitely my intention to go for the 1 mile race at the end of September - try and open up a little bit knowing it's all on the line.

Not sure which parkrun I'll be at tomorrow, I've been a bit sluggish this week throughout life generally as well as running. Yesterday's planned 10 miler didn't happen, I'll be doing that today instead which probably won't be beneficial to my 5k time tomorrow. I'd like to go sub-19 again and try to reel in that place in the table - but it feels a bit unlikely at the moment.

Looks like the mile run is at Preston Park from what Big Nuts said but would still be fun to do.

I'm away for 2 months from next week and will miss the mile run and anyone posting a PB/SB at any distance will need to beg someone else for a table update.

Peacehaven tomorrow for the Arena 6 Parkrun series. Slight cold brewing but will have to go to avoid the 50 Point DNS penalty fine. Will try to hang onto my 5th place in the table. 21:30 would surprise me.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Looks like the mile run is at Preston Park from what Big Nuts said but would still be fun to do.

I'm away for 2 months from next week and will miss the mile run and anyone posting a PB/SB at any distance will need to beg someone else for a table update.

Peacehaven tomorrow for the Arena 6 Parkrun series. Slight cold brewing but will have to go to avoid the 50 Point DNS penalty fine. Will try to hang onto my 5th place in the table. 21:30 would surprise me.

Good luck tomorrow. I’m just wondering if we could organise an end of year/pre Christmas track session one evening between NSC runners? I haven’t got a clue how available Withdean is and the cost but if there was enough demand it could be fun and doable.

Do you know anymore through your Arena contacts?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good luck tomorrow. I’m just wondering if we could organise an end of year/pre Christmas track session one evening between NSC runners? I haven’t got a clue how available Withdean is and the cost but if there was enough demand it could be fun and doable.

Do you know anymore through your Arena contacts?

Posssibly doable. I'll try and ask tomorrow but on limited time as going away for the weekend for the wife's 60th....Yes I'm a toy boy.

I

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I am in for the track session idea - I think an indvidual 5k and a Weakest Link style relay would be ideal. Maybe use the 5k results to determine the team line ups? Depending entirely on numbers! 12 would be the ideal for 3 teams of 4, but 3 teams of 3 wouldn't be unreasonable either. Or two teams of 4 battling it out to the death!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Welcome to the thread. My advice? Don't run it – it's a 10k! :lol:

Seriously, with the injury in mind, I would either take it easy or swerve it, as others have said. Not worth the potential extra damage otherwise.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That’s good to know. The more the merrier but if we can get at least 10 confirmed then I think we should pursue.

Just need to decide the length of race. 5k seems the most appropriate but open to suggestions.

Either that or a Weakest Link style relay?

How about a handicapped 5k based on SB parkrun times ? If, say, the slowest runner has an SB of 40 mins, he starts first, followed 2 mins later by someone with an SB of 38 mins and so on.......................

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
How about a handicapped 5k based on SB parkrun times ? If, say, the slowest runner has an SB of 40 mins, he starts first, followed 2 mins later by someone with an SB of 38 mins and so on.......................

Do we take this as you volunteering to work out the handicapping system? :thumbsup:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

I think we have a winner. I really like this idea, should be a frenetic finish and everyone gets a chance to go all out for a 5k SB or PB.

If it’s Withdean we head straight to the Sportsman after.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think we have a winner. I really like this idea, should be a frenetic finish and everyone gets a chance to go all out for a 5k SB or PB.

If it’s Withdean we head straight to the Sportsman after.

Cue no-one running any SBs until after the event :) Happy to work out the times - there will be some discretion involved if anyone is believed to be protecting their handicap :banana:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yep, sounds good to me. I'm well up for a bit of track action.

Now onto the logistics of getting everyone together, in the same place at the same time.

*gets out 2021 diary* :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here