Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Think [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] might have been looking at the other Centurion link (piece of string race).......

Good question. It was interesting doing the Amex Marathon a few weeks ago with the elite runner that was in the field - he was very clearly and obviously taking the 'racing line' on the inside all the time, to the extent he was calling ahead to people to move out - I hadn't thought about it previously but obviously the decent runners know what difference it makes on lapped events. Just an extra 10 yards every lap in a 24 hour track ultra for an elite ultrarunner would cost them over 6km if my calcs are correct (ie they'll have run 6km further than the results given them credit for)

Each lane is 7.665m longer than the one inside it. The difference between the inside line and outside line of each lane would be almost 7.665. So straying from lane 1 to the outside of lane 2 would be 15.331m. As you say a huge difference.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Each lane is 7.665m longer than the one inside it. The difference between the inside line and outside line of each lane would be almost 7.665. So straying from lane 1 to the outside of lane 2 would be 15.331m. As you say a huge difference.

Blimey.......the elites will be running in excess of 250km in this race.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Walked along the Prom this morning and the runners looked slow. Just checked the results and [MENTION=21215]Dazzer[/MENTION] would have got 3rd place today if running last weeks time. Where was everyone?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Walked along the Prom this morning and the runners looked slow. Just checked the results and [MENTION=21215]Dazzer[/MENTION] would have got 3rd place today if running last weeks time. Where was everyone?

Wind-affected probably ? I was out for a 13 mile plod and it was pretty breezy........

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012
Hi all, just looking for some quick advice. I am doing both Brighton and London Marathons this year for a charity very close to my heart. So far been really struggling to fit the training in, due to long work hours and shared custody of kids at w'ends! My main focus at the moment is to get one long run in a week and a park run at the w'end. Although now have a serious dose of manful, so doing nothing currently! I am an ok runner, but just wanted to check if I am reasonably on track or do I need to panic!? Really want to get sub 4 hour if poss. Recent long runs, last 4 weeks, 17k (10.5 miles) at 1:30, 1:26 & 1:22 in that order and last week a really poor half marathon in the wind and rain at 1:48. recent park runs, 21:10 and 20:50. But done nothing for a week because of the lurgi. Does that sound like i am in reasonable shape for sub 4 hour? My plan is to do another half marathon asap and knock some time off and then up the distance to 16 miles and repeat up to 21 miles ish. I need to fit in more shorter runs (10k's etc) either side I guess? Can anyone share their marathon plans from here on in as a guide. Sorry for the needy message!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Hi all, just looking for some quick advice. I am doing both Brighton and London Marathons this year for a charity very close to my heart. So far been really struggling to fit the training in, due to long work hours and shared custody of kids at w'ends! My main focus at the moment is to get one long run in a week and a park run at the w'end. Although now have a serious dose of manful, so doing nothing currently! I am an ok runner, but just wanted to check if I am reasonably on track or do I need to panic!? Really want to get sub 4 hour if poss. Recent long runs, last 4 weeks, 17k (10.5 miles) at 1:30, 1:26 & 1:22 in that order and last week a really poor half marathon in the wind and rain at 1:48. recent park runs, 21:10 and 20:50. But done nothing for a week because of the lurgi. Does that sound like i am in reasonable shape for sub 4 hour? My plan is to do another half marathon asap and knock some time off and then up the distance to 16 miles and repeat up to 21 miles ish. I need to fit in more shorter runs (10k's etc) either side I guess? Can anyone share their marathon plans from here on in as a guide. Sorry for the needy message!

You'll get some really good advice from people better qualified than me but I wanted to start the ball rolling with a 'good luck'. Seems like life is getting in the way of training. Like you I planned to do my last marathon in sub 4 and went into it off a 1:49 HM. On the day I tanked and did 4:50. I was running 21 miles in training at around 9.05 mm and tapered properly. The 21 miler totally emptied the tank and at that point I knew I didn't have a sub 4 in me. Be great to read your race report esp if you get under the 4 hour.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I had to wait for daughter to get picked up for a cubs trip at 9.30 this morning so went out and got to the prom as they were packing up. A 6 miler with 8*2 tempo intervals (60 secs recovery) today. Only the wind was so brutal that my tempo on the wey back in to the wind was the same speed as my easy on the way out. Conversely hit sub 7 in one interval on the way out without noticing. Not for the whole 2 mins though :lol:

Time wise you're on track. I'm also aiming for sub 4 at Brighton and am planning on somewhere around 1.43 to 1.46 at Brighton half as a marker that everything's ok. I'm getting a coached online plan and my coach reckons so long as I hit around 1.45ish in the half and then train, fuel and taper properly. I'm on target.

EDIT - I am doing 4 runs a week though as 2 back to back sessions with one and then two days of rest. I'm fitting it in by getting up at the crack of birdshit.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Good questions and not ‘needy’....and I’d say quite normal during a marathon training block. Life always gets in the way, key thing is not to get stressed about it, and don’t be too bothered about set targets like a sub 4 - so often better to adjust them rather than blow up in the race or training by sticking to an original goal that might become unattainable for a variety of reasons.

A 1.48 half in the wind and rain really isn’t ‘really poor’, it’s pretty much bang on where you’d expect to be now if aiming for a sub 4 in April. Your parkrun times are also consistent with that. All good [emoji106]

Not running whilst lurgied is also the right thing to do - you wouldn’t get any benefit from it, and you’ll slow the recovery.

Plan sounds OK. Three runs a week is plenty enough if that’s all you can do. Would base that on something like :

-one long run. SLOWER than planned marathon pace (by a minute a mile ish), increase the distance each week by a mile or two. No need to go past 20 miles really, and either plateau or step back a bit on the odd week.

-one effort session - tempo run, intervals, hill repeats etc. Aim for maybe an hour or so

-one easy run. 45 mins or so at a comfy pace

If you can lob an extra run in, parkrun is good or a fartlek session or similar.

As for doing both marathons, I’ve done that too (and you’re very similarly paced to me) but they were on consecutive weekends - think this year there is a two week gap ? Either way, would strongly recommend running one for a time and one easier. If there is a two week gap you can make that decision much nearer the time based on weather etc. However you run the first there’s enough recovery time to race the second if that’s how it works out.

Final point - I have no qualifications at all, so treat the above comments as you wish !

Good luck with the training and the fund raising. I haven’t done a charity event for ages but I’m going to do so this year at VLM for the hospice that looked after my sister. If you see someone blubbing at the finish it could be me.....

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I had to wait for daughter to get picked up for a cubs trip at 9.30 this morning so went out and got to the prom as they were packing up. A 6 miler with 8*2 tempo intervals (60 secs recovery) today. Only the wind was so brutal that my tempo on the wey back in to the wind was the same speed as my easy on the way out. Conversely hit sub 7 in one interval on the way out without noticing. Not for the whole 2 mins though :lol:

Time wise you're on track. I'm also aiming for sub 4 at Brighton and am planning on somewhere around 1.43 to 1.46 at Brighton half as a marker that everything's ok. I'm getting a coached online plan and my coach reckons so long as I hit around 1.45ish in the half and then train, fuel and taper properly. I'm on target.

EDIT - I am doing 4 runs a week though as 2 back to back sessions with one and then two days of rest. I'm fitting it in by getting up at the crack of birdshit.

You’ll do a sub 4 if you don’t run the first 5 miles at 10k pace [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji106]

BiffyBoy

Aug 20, 2012

I’ve often come to this thread for advice when I’ve left training too late or l just need great advice!

With those times, on the day stuff / weather permitting, I think you’ll go well under a sub 4 hours.

I’d personally pick a plan, and jump to the current week to give you more structure. You should be increasing the long run mileage slowly. I’d focus more on the long run than anything else.

I’ve started late before (c week 6 of a plan) with limited base, and used one of the Hal Higdon plans, but typically cut to 2 runs in the week (starting 3 / 5 miles) and then a long run at the wkd and it’s just about to me through. Following the plan correctly is obviously better. Unless you’re trying to verify training half way through, I’d also think less about pace. I’ve always run the long run at marathon pace, and it just burns you out.

I’ve absolutely no idea how you manage another marathon two weeks later, but fair play!

Good luck and enjoy!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Another horrid windy day. Just me and my mate on the cliffs I reckon. God knows what it was like at Worthing half. Still, 16 quality miles banked and I can eat pretty much whatever I want for the rest of today as a bonus :)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Another horrid windy day. Just me and my mate on the cliffs I reckon. God knows what it was like at Worthing half. Still, 16 quality miles banked and I can eat pretty much whatever I want for the rest of today as a bonus :)

The machine is running well.
Having a little taper myself this week to fit in my 5m XC at Bexhill yesterday. Pleasant ground , 5 soggy hill climbs out of the wind, 5 boggy descents into the wind, lot of flat water sodden grass inot the wind and a 500m wind assisted finish.
Got left behind by Burgess Hill runners, overtaken by someone with a pacemaker after a cardiac arrest last year, chased down the 80m on the runner in front on the run in and failed by a metre, finished in last 10 out of 100 odd,, not last Arena runner home and thoroughly enjoyed the run. Average 8:19 mile. Work needed to be done for next years entry to the over 60 vets League.

Now going to have a week on speed work and more semi tapering ready for a Preston Park full out effort on Saturday.

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012
Good questions and not ‘needy’....and I’d say quite normal during a marathon training block. Life always gets in the way, key thing is not to get stressed about it, and don’t be too bothered about set targets like a sub 4 - so often better to adjust them rather than blow up in the race or training by sticking to an original goal that might become unattainable for a variety of reasons.

A 1.48 half in the wind and rain really isn’t ‘really poor’, it’s pretty much bang on where you’d expect to be now if aiming for a sub 4 in April. Your parkrun times are also consistent with that. All good [emoji106]

Not running whilst lurgied is also the right thing to do - you wouldn’t get any benefit from it, and you’ll slow the recovery.

Plan sounds OK. Three runs a week is plenty enough if that’s all you can do. Would base that on something like :

-one long run. SLOWER than planned marathon pace (by a minute a mile ish), increase the distance each week by a mile or two. No need to go past 20 miles really, and either plateau or step back a bit on the odd week.

-one effort session - tempo run, intervals, hill repeats etc. Aim for maybe an hour or so

-one easy run. 45 mins or so at a comfy pace

If you can lob an extra run in, parkrun is good or a fartlek session or similar.

As for doing both marathons, I’ve done that too (and you’re very similarly paced to me) but they were on consecutive weekends - think this year there is a two week gap ? Either way, would strongly recommend running one for a time and one easier. If there is a two week gap you can make that decision much nearer the time based on weather etc. However you run the first there’s enough recovery time to race the second if that’s how it works out.

Final point - I have no qualifications at all, so treat the above comments as you wish !

Good luck with the training and the fund raising. I haven’t done a charity event for ages but I’m going to do so this year at VLM for the hospice that looked after my sister. If you see someone blubbing at the finish it could be me.....

Brilliant thank you and thank you to everyone else's detailed responses, all super helpful and feeling more confident now, just need to shift this blimmin cold! Although don't fancy it out there today anyway!! I did do this daft London/Brighton combo about 2 years ago when it was just a week apart, I only managed 4:28 Brighton and 4:18 London, but I was not as fit as I am now and about 2 stone heavier so I am hopeful! Weirdly, I ran London 10 mins better even though that was the 2nd race. I remember panicking on the train up to London on the morning of the race (thinking what the hell am I doing!) and googling any advice i could find. I found this technique of fast walking for a minute every mile. Really made a difference for me, both mentally and physically i guess, and it was just a much more enjoyable race than Brighton was (where I really struggled around 22 miles). Thanks again all for the advice, going to get back out there this week and will be checking in here.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Well done [MENTION=24077]jimmygull[/MENTION]. You already know it’s all about pain and being stubborn. Good luck.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Well done [MENTION=24077]jimmygull[/MENTION]. You already know it’s all about pain and being stubborn. Good luck.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
The machine is running well.
Having a little taper myself this week to fit in my 5m XC at Bexhill yesterday. Pleasant ground , 5 soggy hill climbs out of the wind, 5 boggy descents into the wind, lot of flat water sodden grass inot the wind and a 500m wind assisted finish.
Got left behind by Burgess Hill runners, overtaken by someone with a pacemaker after a cardiac arrest last year, chased down the 80m on the runner in front on the run in and failed by a metre, finished in last 10 out of 100 odd,, not last Arena runner home and thoroughly enjoyed the run. Average 8:19 mile. Work needed to be done for next years entry to the over 60 vets League.

Now going to have a week on speed work and more semi tapering ready for a Preston Park full out effort on Saturday.

Top running skip, would not have fancied that at all!

Brilliant thank you and thank you to everyone else's detailed responses, all super helpful and feeling more confident now, just need to shift this blimmin cold! Although don't fancy it out there today anyway!! I did do this daft London/Brighton combo about 2 years ago when it was just a week apart, I only managed 4:28 Brighton and 4:18 London, but I was not as fit as I am now and about 2 stone heavier so I am hopeful! Weirdly, I ran London 10 mins better even though that was the 2nd race. I remember panicking on the train up to London on the morning of the race (thinking what the hell am I doing!) and googling any advice i could find. I found this technique of fast walking for a minute every mile. Really made a difference for me, both mentally and physically i guess, and it was just a much more enjoyable race than Brighton was (where I really struggled around 22 miles). Thanks again all for the advice, going to get back out there this week and will be checking in here.

Good luck with it all and definitely check in to let us know how it's going. There'll probably be an NSC Runners meet up in Preston Park on the day of Brighton Marathon.

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Everything around here is covered in ice and I haven't been out for a run in 10 days. I'm joining a gym tomorrow so I can get on the treadmills.

Question - I've heard a bit of weight training is good for runners, anyone have a basic routine they can pass on? I'm over 50, haven't lifted weights since my school days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here