Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Blimey - he (Paul) looked like he had an-out-for-a-month injury. The Arena 80s are a tough old bunch. Good session from you. Looking good for the Phoenix 10K or still a bit lacking in endurance?

I'm doing bit of parkrun tourism this weekend - Seaton in Devon. Another prom course, of course.

I'm really suffering today. Tired legs, hungry and dehydrated and I only ran a mile. So a few days rest. Phoenix will be 2 miles too far at the moment so I will have to aim at a steady 45" and think of the beer in the Brunswick.

I was meant to be in Budleigh Salterton this weekend and could have joined you but we had to cancel to get this kitchen finished. Enjoy the tour.

BenElton'sBrother

Nov 30, 2003
Hove
Hello chaps, my weekend running update from Canada.

Well, after 10 years I finally broke into Parkrun tourism, a small local run in Kanata around the brilliantly named Beaver Pond, only a little over 20 runners but the usual friendly Parkrun welcome and some interest in my 250 t-shirt. My 22.30 was good enough for third place (some pesky oik from London skipped round in about 19 minutes). Not much direct sun at the time of running but it’s the humidity that gets you, I’ve never dripped as much sweat as I did after finishing this run! Picture below to prove to all the doubters that I really did cheat on Hove park!

IMG_3470GIF (2).gif

July 1st is Canada day and a huge public holiday, thought we’d do something different this time of visiting and signed up for the Run Ottawa Canada Day 10K road race, setting off at 8am in 20 degree sun and more humidity. You got to sing the national anthem before setting off which was a bit awkward as I didn’t know any of the words and then it went into French… anyway, a time of 44.48 placed me 54th out of 431and also represented a PB of about 50 seconds over the Devils distance, I was very happy to take that away ([MENTION=8973047]knocky1[/MENTION] a table update please?). A brilliantly organised event and the misting tent at the end so so welcome! I now have one of those rare running commodities, a race medal which [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] doesn’t have :wink: Picture below of me and my other half (who did the 5K) at the finish line.

20190701_091108 GIF(3).gif

July 1st also represents the half way point in the year, last year was a record in terms of miles covered for me, around 890 miles, this year to date I’ve clocked up about 730 and this shows in setting a clean sweep of PB’s in 2019 over my four main distances. Injuries permitting, I should break the 1000 miles in a year for the first time, but for now I think I’ll focus of chilling out and being on holiday :thumbsup:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Great work [MENTION=1508]BenElton'sBrother[/MENTION] getting into the full Canada Day spirit.

I took part in my own Canada Day event. One of the founders of my RunTOBeer club started up a brewery in Hamilton called Merit a couple of years ago. Yesterday we had the second annual "MERIThon" race, covering the 70km from Toronto to Hamilton, finishing in the brewery.

It was a relay race with teams of 6, 4, or 2 competing for the title in their category. We also had an amazing SEVEN people running it solo. I was in a team of 6 :lolol: Last year we won our category, but came second overall because one of the women on our team got a bit lost and did an extra few kms! This year we had to make amends!

The race started at 7am, to try and avoid suffering too much in the heat and humidity. We split the race into 12 legs; each person doing roughly 6km in each of their 2 legs. By the end of the third leg we were already in the lead, before our 2 fastest runners had even run. We slowly increased the gap and I took the baton for the final leg which involved a beast of a hill and no shade from the midday sun. Our finishing time was 5:12, which worked out at an average pace of just under 4:30/km.

The second placed team were about 25 minutes behind us. The most impressive was the winning solo runner though. He finished in 6:55, having started off with a 3:30ish marathon!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Hello chaps, my weekend running update from Canada.

Well, after 10 years I finally broke into Parkrun tourism, a small local run in Kanata around the brilliantly named Beaver Pond, only a little over 20 runners but the usual friendly Parkrun welcome and some interest in my 250 t-shirt. My 22.30 was good enough for third place (some pesky oik from London skipped round in about 19 minutes). Not much direct sun at the time of running but it’s the humidity that gets you, I’ve never dripped as much sweat as I did after finishing this run! Picture below to prove to all the doubters that I really did cheat on Hove park!

View attachment 112308

July 1st is Canada day and a huge public holiday, thought we’d do something different this time of visiting and signed up for the Run Ottawa Canada Day 10K road race, setting off at 8am in 20 degree sun and more humidity. You got to sing the national anthem before setting off which was a bit awkward as I didn’t know any of the words and then it went into French… anyway, a time of 44.48 placed me 54th out of 431and also represented a PB of about 50 seconds over the Devils distance, I was very happy to take that away ([MENTION=8973047]knocky1[/MENTION] a table update please?). A brilliantly organised event and the misting tent at the end so so welcome! I now have one of those rare running commodities, a race medal which [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] doesn’t have :wink: Picture below of me and my other half (who did the 5K) at the finish line.

View attachment 112309

July 1st also represents the half way point in the year, last year was a record in terms of miles covered for me, around 890 miles, this year to date I’ve clocked up about 730 and this shows in setting a clean sweep of PB’s in 2019 over my four main distances. Injuries permitting, I should break the 1000 miles in a year for the first time, but for now I think I’ll focus of chilling out and being on holiday :thumbsup:

Hove park called. She says you're dumped :lol:

Nice work on your Canadian miles :thumbsup:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Going to give the Roundhill Romp a go tomorrow evening. It’s part of the West Sussex fun run league so cheap to enter and a nice hilly course from what I’ve been told. Anyone else running? Or have run it previous years?

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Great stuff [MENTION=1508]BenElton'sBrother[/MENTION] . Indeed I don't have that medal and even more disappointingly never been to Canada!

Doing the inaugural Redwood Run in Sheffield Park tonight - organised by Haywards Heath Harriers. An 8k run and the route looks fun. I like these smaller events.
Redwood route.jpg

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Just arrived at Yateley - way too hot for a 10k when you're overweight and out of form. Still always a chance that my wife's place hasn't transferred properly, so she could end up with a pb :thumbsup:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Great stuff [MENTION=1508]BenElton'sBrother[/MENTION] . Indeed I don't have that medal and even more disappointingly never been to Canada!

Doing the inaugural Redwood Run in Sheffield Park tonight - organised by Haywards Heath Harriers. An 8k run and the route looks fun. I like these smaller events.
View attachment 112326

I was in Nyman Gardens on Sunday and thought what lovely grounds for a run. Should be a great run this evening near the cricket ground that had the first recorded game of cricket and where W.G was later to grace with his presence.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
A big thumbs up for the Roundhill Romp. A great, hilly 6 miler.

Mile 3 has a 400+ foot climb with mile 6 even steeper downhill.

A nice finish at the cricket club with a bbq and bar plus a medal and entry only £5

Finished in 41:19 which I’m pleased with.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Nice run sweetie.

You heard they were giving out packets of Haribo at the end then. :p

Sounds like Mr Rix was taking it easy on Monday then :lol:. The first placed guy yesterday was way ahead at just over 32 minutes - impressive for the conditions.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
You heard they were giving out packets of Haribo at the end then. :p

Sounds like Mr Rix was taking it easy on Monday then :lol:. The first placed guy yesterday was way ahead at just over 32 minutes - impressive for the conditions.

5 minute mile and 5th place. He was going for it. I think I heard that he has just returned to running after having a replacement hip.
I'm dreading the Phoenix 10K Ultra next week.........

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
The Sheffield Park "Redwood run" - 8k in total was great fun last night, it was indeed a fab place to run. What a fantastic evening weather-wise . We got held up a herd of lively cows who wanted to join in, then a flock of sheep invaded out track (well actually their track!). Just under 300 runners in total with 44 from my club Worth Way Runners. I finish 79th in 45.27 with 329 Ft of climbing. A great evening , well played Haywards Heath Harriers who put on the event. A great mix of terrain to run on and two tasty hills, including what felt like a mile of up hill to the finish line. A great bunch of runners with everyone staying to cheer til the last runner finished.
redwood 2.jpg
redwood.jpg

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
The Sheffield Park "Redwood run" - 8k in total was great fun last night, it was indeed a fab place to run. What a fantastic evening weather-wise . We got held up a herd of lively cows who wanted to join in, then a flock of sheep invaded out track (well actually their track!). Just under 300 runners in total with 44 from my club Worth Way Runners. I finish 79th in 45.27 with 329 Ft of climbing. A great evening , well played Haywards Heath Harriers who put on the event. A great mix of terrain to run on and two tasty hills, including what felt like a mile of up hill to the finish line. A great bunch of runners with everyone staying to cheer til the last runner finished.
View attachment 112399
View attachment 112400

If they repeat that next year, I'd love to give that a go. Sheffield Park is lovely.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
View attachment 112399
View attachment 112400

Looks brilliant. The female and Sussex equivalent of Pamplona’s running of the bulls.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
3rd Park Run of the year for me tomorrow so going to head our to Seaford for a debut there. Anyone run it previously? I’ve heard it’s flat with one turn so Pb potential.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
3rd Park Run of the year for me tomorrow so going to head our to Seaford for a debut there. Anyone run it previously? I’ve heard it’s flat with one turn so Pb potential.

Completely PB potential - it's just out and back along the Promenade. The only downside is that you run around the lighthouse(?) which breaks your momentum a little bit. It is a fast course though, I did the first event with no form going in and managed a 19:43, so you should be comfortably thrashing that.

I'm looking at Reigate, but my recovery from last night's football is laughable - I've been walking hunched today and the commute to and from work wasn't impressive!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

It’s narrow and congested at the start so get near the front. Free parking virtually opposite the start is good and the cafe afterwards is in a superb spot - will be lovely tomorrow.

I’m off the Preston Park - not been for a long time - celebrating a friend’s 250th parkrun.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here