Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Question on running shoes if I may.

Went to a running shop and got fitted up with Brooks GTS18

Been great but have now run a hole into them.

My question is , if i got a GTS19 or 20 are they the same set up ie would be the right fit for my foot / gate ( sp?)

Otherwise , guess just will get gts 18 again

They'll be almost identical (drop, fit, materials, sole etc)...........but if you can find 18s online they'll almost certainly be cheaper being an 'old model'. The number is little more than a marketing gimmick with some teeny 'improvement' they will claim to have made that adds £10 each time :shrug:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

My question is , if i got a GTS19 or 20 are they the same set up ie would be the right fit for my foot / gate ( sp?)

In most cases they will be pretty much identical. Every now and again they bring out a version which has some peculiarity though. It's always worth trying them first. I actually used to wear Brooks GTS and there was one version which seemed a little bit narrower and gave me lots of blisters on my toes. I've had the same with a particular iteration of the Saucony Ride, even though the versions before and after were completely fine.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

I haven't run in Brooks shoes for quite a few years so I'll let the Brooks runners on the thread shed more light but I think generally when a shoe brand has a popular enough shoe to get up to 20 or so editions they don't normally tinker with the shoe too much from one year to the next, so the updated 19 and 20 iterations are most likely going to be pretty similar in type, fit and feel as the 18. Maybe check out what might be the shoe's updates online or ideally visit a running store if you can. Most stores have a returns policy too.

If I like a particular shoe I frequently stick to what I know has worked for me and seek out and buy either the exact same shoe again so that I have a couple of pairs on the go (before that iteration is no longer available) or the newest edition of the shoe. From time to time I'll try something else and that's resulted in finding some new fantastic gems but also some that I haven't got on with.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
cheers all , good to know.

Would like to try something else but never been injured or had dodgy knees so maybe a case of better the devil you know.

thanks

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
They'll be almost identical (drop, fit, materials, sole etc)...........but if you can find 18s online they'll almost certainly be cheaper being an 'old model'. The number is little more than a marketing gimmick with some teeny 'improvement' they will claim to have made that adds £10 each time :shrug:

Definitely a big positive to sticking with the exact same shoe! Wait for the brand to launch the new iteration of the shoe and try to snap up another pair of the previous iteration in your size at a reduced price as they'll be trying to offload them.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Definitely a big positive to sticking with the exact same shoe! Wait for the brand to launch the new iteration of the shoe and try to snap up another pair of the previous iteration in your size at a reduced price as they'll be trying to offload them.

.....or even a couple of pairs. I used to use GTS myself - would often get a model that was 2 behind the 'current' one for about half to two-thirds of the new cost. If I could find a good deal I usually bought two pairs and rotated them. Doesn't seem to work with Hokas - they must carry a smaller stock.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Wondering if you'll struggle to find any GTS 18s now, as they came out in 2017.

The 19 and 20 will be updated versions of those, so should be better due to the evolution in running technology, although not every supposed shoe improvement is a success.

I think the 20 is the current model, so 19s should be available at a reasonable discount if you can find stock in your size.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Wondering if you'll struggle to find any GTS 18s now, as they came out in 2017.

The 19 and 20 will be updated versions of those, so should be better due to the evolution in running technology, although not every supposed shoe improvement is a success.

I think the 20 is the current model, so 19s should be available at a reasonable discount if you can find stock in your size.

yeah , had a look about , lot of places out of stock.

Got some 19s for £90. Prob could of got cheaper but they arrive Sunday so good enough.

Cheers

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If I ever go back to our office (quite possible I won't) I'm looking forward to rescuing my 16s that I keep there for lunchtime runs - still loads of miles left in them :D

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
.....or even a couple of pairs. I used to use GTS myself - would often get a model that was 2 behind the 'current' one for about half to two-thirds of the new cost. If I could find a good deal I usually bought two pairs and rotated them. Doesn't seem to work with Hokas - they must carry a smaller stock.

out of interest , what do you use now and why did you change ?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
out of interest , what do you use now and why did you change ?

I use Hokas for most of my running now - I find they are more forgiving on the feet, particularly over some of the longer distances - so as I use them for that, I tend to use them most of the time. I do mix and match a bit though - I have a pair of GTS at work so run in them 2-3 times a week (or did, pre lockdown), have a wide range of trail shoes depending on the conditions and for short distances on road often drop to Brooks Racer STs as they are lighter (although have recently started using Hoka Carbon Rockets). I think it's good to vary your footwear anyway - improves the foot and proprioception. My 'go to' shoe - road, and dry trail, is the Hoka Clifton (wide) - I've got quite wide feet anyway, and I much prefer a shoe that allows the toes to splay out inside it. I don't go up a half or full size in running shoes like some suggest you should - I don't think it helps and causes more problems than it solves.

Blue&WhiteSea

Jul 5, 2003
Sutton
yeah , had a look about , lot of places out of stock.

Got some 19s for £90. Prob could of got cheaper but they arrive Sunday so good enough.

Cheers

Bit late to the party but I've been a GTS runner for Years.

There was 1 year that they completely messed them up and loads of people I know hated them, other than that it's pretty much minor tweaks, I've never had a problem with moving to the next model - my gts20 arrived this week.

Their cadence range however have had some shocking changes that have made 2 variations basically unwearable for me!

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I’m using GTS 20s now. First time I’ve ever used Brooks, having been with New Balance until they hit an iteration that suddenly gave me blisters aplenty. Really happy with them. Super comfy and with a nice chunky lace that never ever seems to come undone.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Busy down on the Prom this morning. Managed to dodge the bikes and people and set a new PB of 18:05. 75.76% age grading if I’m using the correct calculator.

Looking forward to a slow, long run tomorrow.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Can I put in a claim for a result to go into the virtual 5k table?
5k today (on streak day 89, after 6 x 800m repeats yesterday). Tried to get to 23.xx, Finished in 24.00 dead for 3.12 miles.
Looking at the WAVA afterwards it was my 4th best ever!
If I can get to 23.45 that WAVA would beat my 22.41 PB from 6 years ago!

Finished my 5k specific training middle of last week, so today was 'raceday'.

That'll do for now!

edit: oh, and streak day 117

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Busy down on the Prom this morning. Managed to dodge the bikes and people and set a new PB of 18:05. 75.76% age grading if I’m using the correct calculator.

Looking forward to a slow, long run tomorrow.

You’re meant to slow down as you get older.

Finished my 5k specific training middle of last week, so today was 'raceday'.

That'll do for now!

edit: oh, and streak day 117

Good double for a man old enough to be Big Nut’s father. I’ll add to the virtual table.

Who’s winning streak day? [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] [MENTION=3975]benElton’s Brother [/MENTION] or you?

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I use Hokas for most of my running now - I find they are more forgiving on the feet, particularly over some of the longer distances - so as I use them for that, I tend to use them most of the time. I do mix and match a bit though - I have a pair of GTS at work so run in them 2-3 times a week (or did, pre lockdown), have a wide range of trail shoes depending on the conditions and for short distances on road often drop to Brooks Racer STs as they are lighter (although have recently started using Hoka Carbon Rockets). I think it's good to vary your footwear anyway - improves the foot and proprioception. My 'go to' shoe - road, and dry trail, is the Hoka Clifton (wide) - I've got quite wide feet anyway, and I much prefer a shoe that allows the toes to splay out inside it. I don't go up a half or full size in running shoes like some suggest you should - I don't think it helps and causes more problems than it solves.

Any views on the Hoka Carbon X? Thinking of trying them for shorter, faster runs.

I tend to use Hoka Cliftons, like you, as my base shoe for everyday and longer runs, but I’m intrigued by the latest model (Clifton Edge, with a prominent heel), which seems to be completely different to the legacy of previous Clifton versions.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Any views on the Hoka Carbon X? Thinking of trying them for shorter, faster runs.

I tend to use Hoka Cliftons, like you, as my base shoe for everyday and longer runs, but I’m intrigued by the latest model (Clifton Edge, with a prominent heel), which seems to be completely different to the legacy of previous Clifton versions.

The carbon x is interesting.....very, very harsh ride compared to the Clifton but you can feel the propulsion. At my age/weight/speed I wouldn’t want to wear them for more than about 10k but as a parkrun shoe I can see the benefits. On the plus side, they are plenty wide enough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here