Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Going to give East Brighton a go tomorrow. Not expecting great things, still got a bit of a cold.
In other news, due to a craaaazy date mix up I think I am out of The Weakest Link.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Going to give East Brighton a go tomorrow. Not expecting great things, still got a bit of a cold.
In other news, due to a craaaazy date mix up I think I am out of The Weakest Link.

Good luck with East Brighton. I got a bit disorientated when I did and put in a killer sprint (ie a sprint that nearly killed me) only to realised that I had another lap to go.

D

Deleted member 2719

Yes. :thumbsup:

But maybe not - what sort of sessions are you doing? Are you doing any gym work as well as running? If you're going out and running however many miles, but aren't doing anything else, you will naturally get quicker until you reach a natural level and then your performance will probably balance off. The key is running at different tempos, throwing in fewer miles at a higher pace, and more miles at a slower pace will boost endurance.

Hope so!
I do have a PT who generally works on my core and flexibility as my hamstrings are very short/tight because of playing football for so many years.
I tend to get trapped in wanting to get a pb on every run weather permitting!
I did do a quick 3k and a 2 min break and then a quick 2k this morning, but you're right for reminding me I should do some slower ones too!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Great. Best since Jesus. Certainly got quickly to the problem and followed the links. Unfortunately tendon issues take time even Jesus couldn’t get me going immediately on those. Feel positive and on the way....

Good stuff. Got a similar niggle myself (two in fact - tibial tendinitis on left foot and tight ITB on right leg) at the moment but will have to wait till I get home to get it worked on. Just ticking over training-wise and nursing them a bit. Confined to treadmills pretty much for the next month anyway.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
14th at East Brighton in 22:57. Pleasant enough course, nice to run on grass in the sun - not sure I’ll be rushing back though.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good luck at another hot Worthing 10k. Hope the scorer has to get his rubber and pencil out.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Good luck at another hot Worthing 10k. Hope the scorer has to get his rubber and pencil out.

I'm never going to beat my 10K PB which remains my most untouchable but I did run my best ever Worthing in 50.18. With no training for 2 weeks, non-stop sunshine and no wind I'm very, very chuffed. Also won a three way sprint finish. Hopefully captured in race photos. A good event as ever and I struggled far less than last year, running consistent 8 min miles with the exception of one 8.20 when the juice went out of my legs.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I'm never going to beat my 10K PB which remains my most untouchable but I did run my best ever Worthing in 50.18. With no training for 2 weeks, non-stop sunshine and no wind I'm very, very chuffed. Also won a three way sprint finish. Hopefully captured in race photos. A good event as ever and I struggled far less than last year, running consistent 8 min miles with the exception of one 8.20 when the juice went out of my legs.

Good running today. I couldn’t trouble the scorers today with 39:23 but relatively happy IVO the heat. Finishing 43rd would also suggest many others found it tough. I’m about 30 places higher than usual and only 6 seconds quicker than my previous Worthing course record.

A big thank you to the 3 houses who left a hose running for the runners. Much appreciated.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Good running today. I couldn’t trouble the scorers today with 39:23 but relatively happy IVO the heat. Finishing 43rd would also suggest many others found it tough. I’m about 30 places higher than usual and only 6 seconds quicker than my previous Worthing course record.

A big thank you to the 3 houses who left a hose running for the runners. Much appreciated.

Good running from you and [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]. Less good from me: 47.15. By no means a disaster but would have liked to get under 47. Just goes to show what happens when you turn up to a 10K with your longest training run @5 miles. Running 101: respect the distance! :dunce:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good running from you and [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]. Less good from me: 47.15. By no means a disaster but would have liked to get under 47. Just goes to show what happens when you turn up to a 10K with your longest training run @5 miles. Running 101: respect the distance! :dunce:

Beat me by 16 seconds. 2018 v 2019. Can’t remember my excuse but sure it was a good one.
Still off running, shame as Oslo Parkrun beckons on Saturday. Swimming going well but want to get a few runs in soon for the Arena 80 Worthing Parkrun at end of the month when I’d Planned to meet you.

Arena have a 6 Parkrun Series; 3 based on time and 3 on AG. Halfway through I’m 4th in the table with 2 time finishes and 1 AG finish completed.
Very happy with this position and blank the fact that all the top runners don’t bother to compete in this. A DNS gives 50points. So still see you at Worthing for the Arena AG run.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Beat me by 16 seconds. 2018 v 2019. Can’t remember my excuse but sure it was a good one.
Still off running, shame as Oslo Parkrun beckons on Saturday. Swimming going well but want to get a few runs in soon for the Arena 80 Worthing Parkrun at end of the month when I’d Planned to meet you.

Arena have a 6 Parkrun Series; 3 based on time and 3 on AG. Halfway through I’m 4th in the table with 2 time finishes and 1 AG finish completed.
Very happy with this position and blank the fact that all the top runners don’t bother to compete in this. A DNS gives 50points. So still see you at Worthing for the Arena AG run.

Can you remind me of the Worthing date please? The club tournament sounds great (definition of a great tournament: one at which old gits do well!).

Just discovered there's yet another new (they had their 6th run yesterday) Sussex parkrun: Uckfield. Looks 'scenic' (= muddy in winter).

Be a shame to be in Oslo and not run. I've only ever run one 'overseas' event (I'll not count Hampshire): in Canada. I felt like I was representing the UK!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Can you remind me of the Worthing date please? The club tournament sounds great (definition of a great tournament: one at which old gits do well!).

Just discovered there's yet another new (they had their 6th run yesterday) Sussex parkrun: Uckfield. Looks 'scenic' (= muddy in winter).

Be a shame to be in Oslo and not run. I've only ever run one 'overseas' event (I'll not count Hampshire): in Canada. I felt like I was representing the UK!

29th June Worthing.

Hoping to run/walk this Saturday.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I've just looked at the results on the website. It shows your position at two "splits", the start and the finish. I made up over 100 overall places over the run. Normally it's the other way and people come pouring past me in the last 2k. Definitely a big difference in today's heat. Was very glad I had a semblence of marathon fitness left, the conditions would have done for me otherwise.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I've just looked at the results on the website. It shows your position at two "splits", the start and the finish. I made up over 100 overall places over the run. Normally it's the other way and people come pouring past me in the last 2k. Definitely a big difference in today's heat. Was very glad I had a semblence of marathon fitness left, the conditions would have done for me otherwise.

...and obviously impeccable pacing skills. Sounds like you got it just right for the day.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Bournemouth parkrun in 22:39 for me, I was about 2 minutes late going off (no, really) - which was a bit of a shame. I trusted the directions on the website which was a mistake, I know for future reference how best to get there. I need to return this year and run a quicker time around that course. It should be ideally suited to me really, nice blend of grass and tarmac, hills and flat.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Bournemouth parkrun in 22:39 for me, I was about 2 minutes late going off (no, really) - which was a bit of a shame. I trusted the directions on the website which was a mistake, I know for future reference how best to get there. I need to return this year and run a quicker time around that course. It should be ideally suited to me really, nice blend of grass and tarmac, hills and flat.

You? Late? I won't have it :moo:

No parkrun for me, just a couple of short ones and I think I'm going to give 'Run Every Day In June' a go, having got three days in. There the STE Marathon Madness thing at the end of the month, so I think I'll work towards one of them, but carry on with the short stuff. Time trial time continues to come down, but no easing off this morning as I was a bit too relaxed in the first mile. I've even put the times in a table – with mile splits – which seems quite a good motivator.

Oh – and I even contemplated entering the Phoenix 10k run. What is wrong with me?!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
You? Late? I won't have it :moo:

No parkrun for me, just a couple of short ones and I think I'm going to give 'Run Every Day In June' a go, having got three days in. There the STE Marathon Madness thing at the end of the month, so I think I'll work towards one of them, but carry on with the short stuff. Time trial time continues to come down, but no easing off this morning as I was a bit too relaxed in the first mile. I've even put the times in a table – with mile splits – which seems quite a good motivator.

Oh – and I even contemplated entering the Phoenix 10k run. What is wrong with me?!

Excellent news.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here