Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Slight logistical problems with Oslo Parkrun. An evening of Prosecco and wine and leaving the pub at 1:30am put me in a slightly dazed state in the morning. Left at 7 to walk 3 miles to the Park. At 8:40 I gave up and went for coffee.

Tendon feels great now after 2 weeks rest.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Slight logistical problems with Oslo Parkrun. An evening of Prosecco and wine and leaving the pub at 1:30am put me in a slightly dazed state in the morning. Left at 7 to walk 3 miles to the Park. At 8:40 I gave up and went for coffee.

Ah - I did look up the results and wondered what happened to you.

As I tend to fade (even in a 5k) I decided to do something about it and did a drill this morning of running out in 25.30 and seeing if I could get back inside 50 minutes with a clear negative split. A time of 52.02 was not great but at least confirms that, yes, I do tend to fade.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Sounds like a great, if expensive way to ensure your body gets proper rest :lolol:

Two sessions for me this weekend, a 6 miler yesterday with 2 lots of 10 minute tempo intervals (the one into the wind was NOT fun) followed by a 90 minute progression run this morning hitting a sweet spot of around 8:30s for the last half hour before a cool down. Next week will be some 10K specific training for Phoenix. Whilst I've already accepted my traditional role as wooden spoon collecter it would be nice to do so with a time under 50 mins.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sounds like a great, if expensive way to ensure your body gets proper rest :lolol:

Two sessions for me this weekend, a 6 miler yesterday with 2 lots of 10 minute tempo intervals (the one into the wind was NOT fun) followed by a 90 minute progression run this morning hitting a sweet spot of around 8:30s for the last half hour before a cool down. Next week will be some 10K specific training for Phoenix. Whilst I've already accepted my traditional role as wooden spoon collecter it would be nice to do so with a time under 50 mins.

Only £10 a beer. It was £6.50 in Marylebone High Street pre Wembley.

That sounds a good Phoenix prep already.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Leicester Victoria parkrun for me on saturday morning, 17th different course for me and 102nd overall parkrun. The conditions were horrific, driving rain from start to finish and the majority of the course is run under big trees which were dripping all over the show. Plenty of unexpectedly deep puddles added to the generally hateful course and it was one of the least pleasant parkrun experiences of my life! I ran 20:29 which wasn't flatout by any means, my foot is still giving me issues and I was there to play a football tournament (due to start at 11am) so I didn't want to over-commit. I'm not sure I could have managed a sub-20 even if I didn't have a tournament to think about, though. I'm going to have a gentler week this week and try to attack a local parkrun on saturday at full pelt to see what I've got at the moment in anticipation for the Weakest Link.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Two weeks confined to hotel treadmills on a business trip exorcised yesterday with a lovely 10 miler on the Downs run at tempo pace. Off on holiday next weekend for 10 days of all-inclusive so overall June almost a complete write-off from a training perspective......................so I've entered a 50 miler in September to force me to get my arse in gear :)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Two weeks confined to hotel treadmills on a business trip exorcised yesterday with a lovely 10 miler on the Downs run at tempo pace. Off on holiday next weekend for 10 days of all-inclusive so overall June almost a complete write-off from a training perspective......................so I've entered a 50 miler in September to force me to get my arse in gear :)

I'm off to the far more genteel environs of Lytham St Anne's tomorrow and Wednesday. Nowhere near as exotic as your trip (I love Honkers for the food, shopping and bars) but HK must be one of the most unsuitable places for road running in the world. Lytham is like going back to 1970s England but has a lovely flat, temperate seafront for tempo runs. Two weeks on a dreadmill would have sent me mental.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm off to the far more genteel environs of Lytham St Anne's tomorrow and Wednesday. Nowhere near as exotic as your trip (I love Honkers for the food, shopping and bars) but HK must be one of the most unsuitable places for road running in the world. Lytham is like going back to 1970s England but has a lovely flat, temperate seafront for tempo runs. Two weeks on a dreadmill would have sent me mental.

I don't mind the odd treadmill session, particularly for interval sessions, but 2 weeks of it did my head in. I had a good run on the SDW yesterday - I think part of it was just being outside ! Dubai and HK must be the worst combined 2 week trip for running (at this time of year). HK has some fantastic trails but way too hot and humid in June for that. Will be in Mexico next week - not much better !

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I don't want to trump the aces of those who are visiting exotic places, but I am heading for Scunthorpe in the next few days...………………...

Will you be fortunate enough to visit the Scunthorpe parkrun on saturday? Maybe have words with Elliott Stones and ask him to stop dominating the 1st place week in week out! Not seen a parkrun so dominated by one person (beaten just 4 times in 56 parkruns, 1st place 52 times, 2nd place 4 times);

https://www.parkrun.org.uk/scunthorpe/results/eventhistory/

Actually, the irony is that his PB (15:52) came when finishing 2nd. :ohmy:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Will you be fortunate enough to visit the Scunthorpe parkrun on saturday? Maybe have words with Elliott Stones and ask him to stop dominating the 1st place week in week out! Not seen a parkrun so dominated by one person (beaten just 4 times in 56 parkruns, 1st place 52 times, 2nd place 4 times);

https://www.parkrun.org.uk/scunthorpe/results/eventhistory/

Actually, the irony is that his PB (15:52) came when finishing 2nd. :ohmy:

No - I'll be back by Saturday. There must be some absolutely awesome runners there as this time last year a VW60-64 did 20.09 at 94.95% AG. I checked the course and had a run on it expecting it to be a steep, straight downhill! It wasn't.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
No - I'll be back by Saturday. There must be some absolutely awesome runners there as this time last year a VW60-64 did 20.09 at 94.95% AG. I checked the course and had a run on it expecting it to be a steep, straight downhill! It wasn't.

Disappointing, what better way of ticking off a grim Northern parkrun?! Can anyone beat my effort at Darlington for grim parkrun location?!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Not me. furthest I've ever been is Milton Keynes. I think I have walked through the park for the Darlington event and if I'm not wrong it's rather grand?

Absolutely - it's truly lovely. It's like a mixture of Hove Park and Queens Park in our terms, a nice pond with plenty of dangerous looking Mallards, an aviary with plenty of birds flapping around and the standard fields for ball games and a few tennis courts dotted around. I like the park, and I actually the town of Darlington - despite being grim and northern!

They've got a brick train you can climb, which is decent!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Absolutely - it's truly lovely. It's like a mixture of Hove Park and Queens Park in our terms, a nice pond with plenty of dangerous looking Mallards, an aviary with plenty of birds flapping around and the standard fields for ball games and a few tennis courts dotted around. I like the park, and I actually the town of Darlington - despite being grim and northern!

Darlo's not too bad as a town. Bishop Auckland on the other hand..... :eek: :lolol:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Agreed! Some of the big northern towns have magnificent public spaces that (hopeless generalisation I know) we don't seem to have in the south. I suspect it reflects a certain Victorian civic pride. There endeth my flaunting of knowledge that I don't really possess...…………………...

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
A good week of running for me, around 34 miles but I think I’ve got Plantar Fascitis which has pissed me off no end.

Really don’t want to stop running so I might restrict myself to grass running. I’ll be doing what I can to roll my foot and ice as well as work on my calf muscles.

Frustrating as I have a green light for my second Park Run of 2019 Saturday. I might look at Bevendean for the more forgiving ground.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Managed to buy a new HQ on EBay from someone called A Pardew.
Will work out the Weakest Link teams over the weekend allowing time for any injuries to clear up. Remember to notify if unable to turn up. We have 12 but I’m a doubt.
D4E542E5-6C48-4938-8DF5-FCB51E9A208B.jpegMD4E542E5-6C48-4938-8DF5-FCB51E9A208B.jpeg

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
A good week of running for me, around 34 miles but I think I’ve got Plantar Fascitis which has pissed me off no end.

Really don’t want to stop running so I might restrict myself to grass running. I’ll be doing what I can to roll my foot and ice as well as work on my calf muscles.

Frustrating as I have a green light for my second Park Run of 2019 Saturday. I might look at Bevendean for the more forgiving ground.

Be careful with it....can get much worse if you keep running and then it’s a proper b*tch to shift. Worth investing in a Strassburg Sock too........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here