Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Anyone running a prom based course would have been a bit battered today. A vicious easterly made my 22.19 a bit better than it looks. An age cat. 'victory' and overall 6th on AG out of 457. It was hard.

I also won my age category at Lancing this morning. 14th overall in 21:55 - that wind was horrible! I’ve only run Lancing once before, last November and finished in exactly the same time - 21:55. How’s that for consistency?!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I also won my age category at Lancing this morning. 14th overall in 21:55 - that wind was horrible! I’ve only run Lancing once before, last November and finished in exactly the same time - 21:55. How’s that for consistency?!

I did Clair Park 4 times fairly soon after it started up in the space of about 6 weeks, and did 22.14, 22.11, 22.14 and 22.14...........[emoji23][emoji23]

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I don't know if it counts, but I finished my first Tough Mudder today. Absolutely loved it and I think this could become an annual thing.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
New 5k PB today at Braunstone Park Run with a time of 22:58 and an AG of 56.60%. Sub 23 mins was my 2019 target so really chuffed I've done it with a few months of the year left to go. Looking forward to 11-12 slow miles in the rain tomorrow as my last long run before Leicester HM in two weeks.

Oh and I joined my local running club two weeks ago. Picked the wrong group on Tuesday evening as there were two doing the same 7 mile route. Unfortunately I picked the group that were pacing 7 minute miles which is well out of my reach especially after 10 hours at work. To be fair they were a really good bunch with two holding back to drag me round which was nice. Definitely the 8-9 minute pace group next week!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A big weekend for me preparing for Beachy Head. 7 miles on the flat yesterday with the middle 5 attempted to run as close to 9 min miles as possible to work on consistant pacing and running at an "aerobic" rate.

Then a lovely morning on the SDW early today. Went up the Benfield Valley and got to the SDW just before the Dyke at exactly the same time as another bloke. He held the gate for me, we ran off and it turned out we were running at exactly the same pace (he has a 3.56 and a 4.00.30 marathon to his name, how we laughed about the latter). A good chat revealed he was also doing Beachy Head has his first trail marathon although he'd done that hot 14 miler from Falmer that [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] ran and also the Jog Shop 20 miler. Ran to the bottom of Truleigh Hill and then turned and went back on ourselves. All in all 14.5 miles in 2.37 for a half marathon personal worst, but a great social chat with another runner and nice to be back in the routine of power walking hills and holding open gates for people. And scaring sheep, obviously.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Thanks to ninja elephant for sending me a 5K plan to follow!

Had the easy runs last week so today was my first ever proper interval session....

IMG_1942.jpg

Progressively worse and worse as each KM went on haha. Was hoping to stay around the 7min/mile pace with the help of the 90 secs rest. I assume this is an example of how not to do these sessions? Should look for more consistency?

My 5k PB in recent years is just under 23 mins, would love to get nearer to 21 which I managed a few years ago.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks to ninja elephant for sending me a 5K plan to follow!

Had the easy runs last week so today was my first ever proper interval session....

View attachment 115522

Progressively worse and worse as each KM went on haha. Was hoping to stay around the 7min/mile pace with the help of the 90 secs rest. I assume this is an example of how not to do these sessions? Should look for more consistency?

My 5k PB in recent years is just under 23 mins, would love to get nearer to 21 which I managed a few years ago.

Aim with equal-distance intervals is to get then all done at the same pace........takes practice....looks like a decent session though [emoji106]

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Just as a matter of interest (to be filed under the title of 'how do elite sportsmen perform when they run'), Chris Boardman (quite handy on a bike) has dome some Parkruns. He's a VM50-54 and can clock 19 something at around a 74% AG. Not at all shabby!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Just as a matter of interest (to be filed under the title of 'how do elite sportsmen perform when they run'), Chris Boardman (quite handy on a bike) has dome some Parkruns. He's a VM50-54 and can clock 19 something at around a 74% AG. Not at all shabby!

Backs up my assertion that all PL footballers (when fit) should be able to do sub 18/19

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Backs up my assertion that all PL footballers (when fit) should be able to do sub 18/19

This is my view too, but it is a matter for lively debate on the thread from time to time. In fact, I'd go as far as to say it's about the only thing that we as a 'community' disagree on. (Lights blue touch paper and retreats to safe distance...……..)

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
The age long Premier League football debate. My personal view is 85% could run sub 19 but that figure would fall to around 60% for sub 18.

Surely there must be a way of finding out?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Hi To me it is inconceivable that a top player in the prime of his life, with a “perfect” diet, conditioning and fitness, training to peak for up to 90 minutes (once or twice a week) could not keep up with/or beat a “top 10” Park runner.

Last edited:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Looks like are polarising on this. We could be the new Brexit thread, debating this several times every day and never leaving our respective camps unless it's to lob insults at the other side. Therefore I'd just like to say that after my initial statement, I now agree with everyone!.

Please, please, please let’s not have a poll (or referendum)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Looks like are polarising on this. We could be the new Brexit thread, debating this several times every day and never leaving our respective camps unless it's to lob insults at the other side. Therefore I'd just like to say that after my initial statement, I now agree with everyone!.

An attempt at a Life of Brian type gag on my behalf. This is the last thread I want to have an argument on :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hi To me it is inconceivable that a top player in the prime of his life, with a “perfect” diet, conditioning and fitness, training to peak for up to 90 minutes (once or twice a week) could not keep up with/or beat a “top 10” Park runner.

Stockdale used to put his runs on Strava and twitter......was ‘well chuffed’ or similar at one point because he’d done 5k in 25 minutes........

In reality virtually any pro player should be easily able to do sub 20 with minimal specific training IMO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here