Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'd read someone else say they'd set PBs in the Tempo Next% that they couldn't break with Vapor or Alphaflys. I'm just looking for a soft comfy every day shoe.

Interesting to hear you like the Zoom Fly 4s so much, as the 3s were one Nike shoe I was really disappointed with. I found them quite hard and unforgiving, rather than the soft bounciness of the VF, which they're supposed to be the training version of.

I think one of my favourites was the Zoom Fly Flyknit, which was my first Nike (running) shoe, but like the 4%, they're discontinued.

I'm not sure the Tempo will be the "soft comfy every day" you're looking for. It's quite a firm ride that I feel requires some effort being put through it, in order to get some back.

From the Nike range, the Invincible sounds like the best fit for that requirement. It's another shoe I absolutely love with its deep stack of ZoomX that makes for a great easy day shoe. I think it'a a bit more versatile than that though - I always end up running faster than my perceived effort tells me I'm running at - that's the ZoomX assistance, I guess.

It's very pricey though. I picked up both of my pairs at well below list price - I just couldn't justify full whack The second iteration has just come out, but it's only a minor revision. If you can hunt down a first version at a good discount, it might be worth checking out.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Oh, yeah, the ZF3s and 4s are quite firm rides but I find it a good shoe to bop along at a reasonable clip (for me).

My 3s are now up to 850 miles and I keep saying to myself I'll bin them off. As a heel striker I've long since worn through the rubber sections on the rear of both shoes, but every time I put them on I still enjoy them!

The 5 might be more to your tastes when it arrives, as it will feature ZoomX which will make it more similar to the Vaporfly - https://sneakernews.com/2022/05/11/nike-zoom-fly-5-release-date/

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I'm not sure the Tempo will be the "soft comfy every day" you're looking for. It's quite a firm ride that I feel requires some effort being put through it, in order to get some back.

From the Nike range, the Invincible sounds like the best fit for that requirement. It's another shoe I absolutely love with its deep stack of ZoomX that makes for a great easy day shoe. I think it'a a bit more versatile than that though - I always end up running faster than my perceived effort tells me I'm running at - that's the ZoomX assistance, I guess.

It's very pricey though. I picked up both of my pairs at well below list price - I just couldn't justify full whack The second iteration has just come out, but it's only a minor revision. If you can hunt down a first version at a good discount, it might be worth checking out.

I’m a huge fan of the Zoom X Invincible, my current pair are on their last legs so thinking about picking up the new version. I’m off to The States later this month so wondering if they’ll work out any cheaper out there. Looking at the exchange rate probably not!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I’m a huge fan of the Zoom X Invincible, my current pair are on their last legs so thinking about picking up the new version. I’m off to The States later this month so wondering if they’ll work out any cheaper out there. Looking at the exchange rate probably not!

I'm also off this month (I'll be there three weeks from now).

The Invincible 2 hasn't come out in the US yet. Recent Nike releases have been really strange in where they are released and when with the US often behind us by some way. The new Alphafly 2, which we got a couple of weeks ago, hasn't been released in the US yet and the Pegasus 39 which we've had for ages has only just dropped there. I guess it's part of the great worldwide logistics troubles.

You can get the 2 from Keller Sports for £148 (if you're a member - costs £7.99/year) - https://www.keller-sports.co.uk/men/?sortField=price&sortType=desc&priceType=4&q=invincible - but if you wait a week or two, there will almost certainly be a weekend offer where you can knock another 10/15% off that.

It's expected to be $180 in the US upon release (possibly plus sales tax depending on where you buy) which will be about the same £148. For simplicity, I'd be buying here.

How many miles have you got in your first pair? My oldest are up to 415 miles but I think they have a fair bit more life in them.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I'm also off this month (I'll be there three weeks from now).

The Invincible 2 hasn't come out in the US yet. Recent Nike releases have been really strange in where they are released and when with the US often behind us by some way. The new Alphafly 2, which we got a couple of weeks ago, hasn't been released in the US yet and the Pegasus 39 which we've had for ages has only just dropped there. I guess it's part of the great worldwide logistics troubles.

You can get the 2 from Keller Sports for £148 (if you're a member - costs £7.99/year) - https://www.keller-sports.co.uk/men/?sortField=price&sortType=desc&priceType=4&q=invincible - but if you wait a week or two, there will almost certainly be a weekend offer where you can knock another 10/15% off that.

It's expected to be $180 in the US upon release (possibly plus sales tax depending on where you buy) which will be about the same £148. For simplicity, I'd be buying here.

How many miles have you got in your first pair? My oldest are up to 415 miles but I think they have a fair bit more life in them.

Haha, I’ll be on VS91 from LHR to Orlando in 3 weeks today!

Strava is telling me I’ve done 632km in them, so just shy of 400 miles. The midsole foam feels like brand new, it’s just the outsole is wearing badly on the toe off zone and outside edges, mainly due to my weird footstrike. The upper is also just slowly coming loose from the foam on the right shoe. But as I say, the foam is as super bouncy as day one! Very impressive shoe.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Chichester parkrun today. Decent, 3 lap course with quite a few turns and a gentle slope. Not the quickest around but certainly not the slowest and worth checking out. 21.39 was a bit better than I was expecting. A category win and an AG which was the 3rd best on the day. My time was the 4th best in my age cat since the beginning of the event.(Couldnt resist checking.)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Chichester parkrun today. Decent, 3 lap course with quite a few turns and a gentle slope. Not the quickest around but certainly not the slowest and worth checking out. 21.39 was a bit better than I was expecting. A category win and an AG which was the 3rd best on the day. My time was the 4th best in my age cat since the beginning of the event.(Couldnt resist checking.)

Good to see you're still performing at a high level.
I had a battle today against a 61 year at Hove Park. Went along ready to take it easy when I saw a bloke from Wednesday's mile race, where I had overtaken him on the run in. Said hello to him this morning and told his mates I'd beaten him on Wednesday. This spiced up the Parkrun. We sparred for 2.5 miles and then when I tried to kick I had nothing. He sailed to the finish line to beat my 23:00 by 20 seconds. I was thrashed.

On a positive I'm training well, niggles almost all good. Had very tired legs today and should catch my latest rival in a week or two.

Roundhill Romp on Wednesday at Steyning.

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Good to see you're still performing at a high level.
I had a battle today against a 61 year at Hove Park. Went along ready to take it easy when I saw a bloke from Wednesday's mile race, where I had taken hi. On the run in. Said hello to him this morning and told his mates I'd beaten him on Wednesday. This spiced up the Parkrun. We sparred for 2.5 miles and then when I tried to kick I had nothing. He sailed to the finish line to beat my 23:00 by 20 seconds. I was thrashed.

On a positive I'm training well, niggles almost all good. Had very tired legs today and should catch my latest rival in a week or two.

Roundhill Romp on Wednesday at Steyning.

On the issue of personal rivalries, I saw a guy in the warm up who beat me (quite easily) last week in Worthing: I was running for 2nd place at best. Stuck with him for 2k and then he just eased away from me to beat me by a decent margin. At the end I went up to him to congratulate him (through gritted teeth). But it wasn't him. I then spotted him finishing after me and I went up to him to gloat (as you do). And that wasn't him either. I think Mrs GNT s getting seriously worried.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
On the issue of personal rivalries, I saw a guy in the warm up who beat me (quite easily) last week in Worthing: I was running for 2nd place at best. Stuck with him for 2k and then he just eased away from me to beat me by a decent margin. At the end I went up to him to congratulate him (through gritted teeth). But it wasn't him. I then spotted him finishing after me and I went up to him to gloat (as you do). And that wasn't him either. I think Mrs GNT s getting seriously worried.

�� �� should have gone to Specsavers.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Doing an 800m on 25th July at Lewes. Decided that aerobic effort lets me down rather than anaerobic at present due to lack of mileage.
Yesterday evening I did the 6m Roundhill Romp on [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] tip. Great event in the beautiful setting of Steyning Cricket club looking out at the 2 mile looping climb to to the final steep scarp climb to the SDW.
Decided to not walk and run to the top where I needed a half mile recovery pace before getting on with running. Got some aerobic work in with a fast start, built the legs up on the long hill and finished downhill at 6_6:30 mile pace avoiding the tree roots. Job done but a slow 8:50 average pace in 52:33 meant the ever in form [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] finished 9:22 in front of me.

Phoenix 10k next Wednesday. Anyone else? �� �� ��

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Doing an 800m on 25th July at Lewes. Decided that aerobic effort lets me down rather than anaerobic at present due to lack of mileage.
Yesterday evening I did the 6m Roundhill Romp on [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] tip. Great event in the beautiful setting of Steyning Cricket club looking out at the 2 mile looping climb to to the final steep scarp climb to the SDW.
Decided to not walk and run to the top where I needed a half mile recovery pace before getting on with running. Got some aerobic work in with a fast start, built the legs up on the long hill and finished downhill at 6_6:30 mile pace avoiding the tree roots. Job done but a slow 8:50 average pace in 52:33 meant the ever in form [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] finished 9:22 in front of me.

Phoenix 10k next Wednesday. Anyone else? �� �� ��

I’m glad you enjoyed it. Mile 2 up to Mile 3 is brutal and just running up that hill is a sign of good fitness.

It’s a good event, well organised and supported in a nice setting.

I’ll be there next week, but in a marshalling capacity, so I can hurl abuse at you, where ever I’m stationed.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
After many years I finally stand on the precipice. Today was parkrun #99, a sluggish 21 minute something with a noticeable twinge in one ankle and a limping walk home.

I shall have to drag the whole Orange family out for the next parkrun :D

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Well done for those who had a crack at the Roundhill Romp. There's a Worthing Harrier, Steve Cousins, who has the brand Film My Run, uploads the West Sussex
Fun Run League events (and other stuff) on You Tube. Worth checking out.
Worthing PR with a cramping calf in 20.01 today. Have a 10k in Dunsfold, home of Top Gear, tomorrow, but calf might prevent participation.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Well done for those who had a crack at the Roundhill Romp. There's a Worthing Harrier, Steve Cousins, who has the brand Film My Run, uploads the West Sussex
Fun Run League events (and other stuff) on You Tube. Worth checking out.
Worthing PR with a cramping calf in 20.01 today. Have a 10k in Dunsfold, home of Top Gear, tomorrow, but calf might prevent participation.

20 oh bloody 1 ��
Well done.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here