Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The reputation of NSC Runners is on your shoulders. Do it for the lads!

Have you requested AG ratings to see if age is the main factor and in fact you won when that handicap is taken into account?

Post KS2 update – slightly redeemed myself with a 2nd place, missing out on first by about a yard against one of the fellas who always wins his race. Without overanalysing it, it felt completely different to this morning – felt more focussed, was faster and didn't fade at all. Whether it was because I knew I was in with a shout of getting first place or just something more random, I don't know, but my sprinting days might not be over JUST yet :rave:

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Very hard speed session tonight on Hove Prom. Mile pace went slowly backwards but overall s good session.

The purpose of the post though is to get opinion from the group on the following injury/discomfort.

It’s my left arse cheek. Every time I pick up the pace I can barely walk afterwards. It’s been getting progressively worse but after a couple of days rest or slower paced running I feel ok.

I’ve been reading up about it so I think I’ve got an idea but any glute advice appreciated.
E7DF8A9C-0877-43B8-BDC0-189B80BD4A3B.png
I had similar and was advised to do this 3 x30 seconds on affected side or both for a week. Worked for me.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Post KS2 update – slightly redeemed myself with a 2nd place, missing out on first by about a yard against one of the fellas who always wins his race. Without overanalysing it, it felt completely different to this morning – felt more focussed, was faster and didn't fade at all. Whether it was because I knew I was in with a shout of getting first place or just something more random, I don't know, but my sprinting days might not be over JUST yet :rave:

That's our boy!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Could try lying Flat on back engage core bringing bent knee up and down to chest pushing slowly back and towards side.

Rolling your arse on a knobbly roller may be fun. Good excuse for A&E I find.

A week of running 2” of pace could be beneficial.

I’ve no idea but good luck.

Are you still planning to run Worthing tomorrow with the Arena 80 crowd? Looks like being a bit of an easterly. Hope to see you there.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Are you still planning to run Worthing tomorrow with the Arena 80 crowd? Looks like being a bit of an easterly. Hope to see you there.

Yes definitely. Had two hard sessions Sunday and Monday in prep, injury completely gone since yesterday.
Not sure what time I’m currently capable of but I have decided to have you as my first half pacer and hope to kick on from the turn.
I’m thinking 21:30 but hoping for a Worthing PB under 21:11.

See you after Waitrose.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
What a weekend for the Maverick 23k off road race around Stanmer Park & Ditchling Beacon. It’s going to be tough, grinding out over 14 miles in those temperatures. Just hoping there is plenty of shade on the course.

D

Deleted member 2719

At what point is it too hot to go running???

Anything over 19c is enough for me!

I am out at 7.00am latest tomorrow.

Attachments

• SmartSelectImage_2019-06-28-19-15-58.jpg
    SmartSelectImage_2019-06-28-19-15-58.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 53

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
What a weekend for the Maverick 23k off road race around Stanmer Park & Ditchling Beacon. It’s going to be tough, grinding out over 14 miles in those temperatures. Just hoping there is plenty of shade on the course.

I would have joined you for this but I've got some driving responsibilities tomorrow. And I did a 40 minute Wattbike endurance session on wednesday and I've been fatigued and, quite frankly, knackered since then! I'm going to be at Tilgate tomorrow if I wake up in time to drop my friend at Gatwick beforehand, we're picking up rather than dropping someone off for a flight - nobody in the world would trust me to get them to the airport in time for an AM flight!

Good luck with it fella, show it no mercy. :thumbsup:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Actually, I think I'm going to East Grinstead. It's the same distance from Gatwick as Tilgate Park and it would be a 19th different course - plus another Sussex course ticked off. Also, it's not run at a particularly quick pace. A friend of mine has yet to get himself a first finisher result so I'm going to see about denying him again tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Good luck with that! I'll be out for morning intervals at about 7.30 and, for once, won't be complaing about how early it is!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good to see GNT and team over at Worthing today. I went off fast allowing the wind push into my pace of 6:37 mile, slowed to 6:52 second mile after hitting the wind on the turn, slowed to 7:02 third mile due to the easterly and lack of stamina and failed to run it home only getting to 6:20 pace.

Good enough effort considering but there is more to come. The forth Arena Parkrun of the year and I'm awaiting the results to be added up on Monday. Think I'm still top 5 thanks to 2 being AG results.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
21:08 at Worthing a second off last years Worthing time. My 75.24% was not good enough to better GNT or 10 Arena men. I'll take that with only a little disappointment.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
21:08 at Worthing a second off last years Worthing time. My 75.24% was not good enough to better GNT or 10 Arena men. I'll take that with only a little disappointment.

Good running by you. My 21.45 was only enough for 5th in Age Category which shows the quality of the field this week. You beat the all 3 of the 'GNT squad' but as you say, the AG, although uncomfortably close, just scraped home in my favour. BTW I saw an Arena 80 guy really crocked - I think it was Paul Gasson. Medium terms. I'm treading water in terms of times - but you have more to come...…………….

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Great running in that heat skip. Well done.

I went out at 7.30 and only managed 16 minutes of a planned 20 at tempo before a walk/run cooldown. The jelly legs were back!

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
After reading GNT’s review last week I thought I’d try Uckfield. Tough narrow course with a testing climb around half way. Wouldn’t fancy it in the winter and didn’t fancy it much today in the heat. A coastal run would have been wiser, some good times from Worthing today

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I labored into 5th at East Grinstead this morning, 19th different course and another Sussex parkrun ticked off. Genuinely lovely course, twice up the big hill and more twists and turns than I like, considering my sense of direction! But a lovely course on the grass, with a bit of woodland in there as well. I ran 20:31, which has been enough to take the win some weeks but there was a bit of quality at the top of the field this week. My mate came 2nd, which means that in the last 8 weeks - his times would have been enough to win 5 of them. The 3 weeks his time hasn't been enough are the 3 times he's actually shown up! 2nd each time, the guy is fantastically unlucky.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good running by you. My 21.45 was only enough for 5th in Age Category which shows the quality of the field this week. You beat the all 3 of the 'GNT squad' but as you say, the AG, although uncomfortably close, just scraped home in my favour. BTW I saw an Arena 80 guy really crocked - I think it was Paul Gasson. Medium terms. I'm treading water in terms of times - but you have more to come...…………….

Paul Gasson limped out early just after the pier. Poor bloke has been constantly injured this year. If the person you saw was under the trees that was Marc Bonaldi who ran really hard for him at 8:00 mile pace and needed to be rescued by Caroline Wood at the finish.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Well done Park Runners today some good times posted.

I had the fortune of picking the hottest day of the year for a 14 mile off road hilly run up to Ditchling Beacon from Sussex Uni before heading back up and down what felt like hills galore.

The heat was enough but it was so still and by the 7 mile mark I was pretty spent. Decided to walk the biggest hills from mile 8 onwards and made sure I hydrated at the two water stations.

Incredibly scenic just too hot. It was billed as tough, brutal, stunning which it certainly was. I’d love to use those as key words in a dating agency search engine.

Anyway 15th out of 200 so fairly pleased with that although I took a wrong turn at the end, should have been 14th.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Paul Gasson limped out early just after the pier. Poor bloke has been constantly injured this year. If the person you saw was under the trees that was Marc Bonaldi who ran really hard for him at 8:00 mile pace and needed to be rescued by Caroline Wood at the finish.

It was definitely Paul G I saw; it looked like a nasty lower leg problem. I didn't see anyone in a bad way at the end, but Caroline Wood is so bloody fit she could have probably carried someone on her back for the whole 5K - and still got an 85%+ AG!

I must say that Arena 80 is an impressive outfit both in terms of quantity and quality.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here