Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I use SIS electrolyte tablets in my own bottle of water. Same brand as 2016 where I was mostly ok. I'm going to try various brands over the next few months and see how I get on with the hope I hit on one to use in a September half, probably Barnes Green.

Am still toying with the idea of Beachy Head but I'll need to check kids' half term times in case her indoors wants to go away.

Eastbourne is very nice that time of year :wink:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
[MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] - gutted for you, the 12 hour event is a mental prospect and not one I'll entertain! But always sad when it doesn't go to plan.

Sorry for [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] as well, a real shame for you but even worse for [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] who must have had an serious problem to call it before half way. Shame for [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] as well, but I understand the issue with the final 6 miles in particular! A really tough headwind and it was very sapping. Finally, another glorious 10k from [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] and I'm excited for the inevitable attempt to get back involved with the shorter distance pace races!

So for me, a 3:10:49 today. I'm naturally delighted, I was absolutely booming along without too many cares. I made a massive gaffe at the last minute this morning, adding a pair of ankle socks for additional feet support but the inevitable happened, big toe was rubbing against the one next to it at mile 6 and I didn't want to lose momentum, and it wasn't too bad - so I cracked on. I felt good with the existing concerns I had, hip and achilles heel, but I was struck by fatigue at mile 18 which was my first 7something minute mile since mile 7, I stepped back under the 7 minute mark in mile 19 but then I really felt the pace and mile 23 brought 8 minute miles until the conclusion. I wasn't moving well and I had core problems from mile 21 or so, I thought I was going to vomit at one point but I kept it together. It was a few different abs which were problems at various times and then at Brighton Pier, when I was going to give it some pace, my right hamstring dared me to try. It was enough to really inhibit my movement and I couldn't get going for a sub-3:10. I'll take the time, it's what I wanted and a 19 minute PB. It was my best run in a marathon since my first back in 2015 and it will NOT be my final marathon on 2019. Marathon 9 under my belt, bring on Bournemouth and the sub-3 attempt!

View attachment 107649

Astonishing performance. Having seen your Strava last night I was thinking about your pace as I struggled around my piddly 1.24 time trial route this morning at a SLOWER one. Not sure how you keep going for that length of time - astonishing.

Hope the toe isn't too bad, as well as the rest of you, of course!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Well done volunteers and runners yesterday. I’m very very sore from hips to above knees. No damage just muscular. Thanks for words of encouragement. If it had been more than muscle WEAKNESS I would have stopped.

Excellent return by [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] and as I scream up and downstairs I wonder should I have finished at sub 8 pace 30 secs a mile faster than the champ for the last half mile......

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Well done volunteers and runners yesterday. I’m very very sore from hips to above knees. No damage just muscular. Thanks for words of encouragement. If it had been more than muscle WEAKNESS I would have stopped.

Excellent return by [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] and as I scream up and downstairs I wonder should I have finished at sub 8 pace 30 secs a mile faster than the champ for the last half mile......

I well remember having to go downstairs backwards on all fours! Upstairs wasn't quite so bad.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Had a great day watching people I know running the marathon, after running the BM10k, which I also enjoyed a lot. Ran it at half marathon pace, as I'm in my taper for London in two weeks' time, so came in at 48.12, a good two minutes short of my PB from last year's Brighton 10k. The great thing about being an old git (63), however, is that it doesn't take much to get on the leader board, so I came in at 8th in the 60-64 age group and, looking at the results, it seems that the 7 ahead of me were all aged 60-62, and given that there was no-one faster than me in any of the 65-plus groups, I reckon that makes me the fastest 63-plus year-old in the field. Contrived, I know, but these little things give me pleasure....

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Had a great day watching people I know running the marathon, after running the BM10k, which I also enjoyed a lot. Ran it at half marathon pace, as I'm in my taper for London in two weeks' time, so came in at 48.12, a good two minutes short of my PB from last year's Brighton 10k. The great thing about being an old git (63), however, is that it doesn't take much to get on the leader board, so I came in at 8th in the 60-64 age group and, looking at the results, it seems that the 7 ahead of me were all aged 60-62, and given that there was no-one faster than me in any of the 65-plus groups, I reckon that makes me the fastest 63-plus year-old in the field. Contrived, I know, but these little things give me pleasure....

Spot-on. You have to take these little 'victories' where you can. I did the Lancing parkrun (slow course, and usually not a big field) in the hope of an overall AG triumph, only to find that Caroline Wood, Tom Ulliot, and Kevin Lowe (all class runners) were all well north of my 74%. Looking forward to hearing of your London performance where the competition will be intense.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Spot-on. You have to take these little 'victories' where you can. I did the Lancing parkrun (slow course, and usually not a big field) in the hope of an overall AG triumph, only to find that Caroline Wood, Tom Ulliot, and Kevin Lowe (all class runners) were all well north of my 74%. Looking forward to hearing of your London performance where the competition will be intense.

Beaten yesterday by 50+ over 60's, 2 over 70's and managed to just squeeze out the over 75 year old by a minute. Daren't look at my position in the 55-59 group. Anyway I'll be leaving those youngsters in 6 months time.

Be good to have an old gits Weakest Link relay team this summer. We'll need one more though, if either of you know another vintage runner. Wednesday 20th June 7pm start.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Morning all.

I love the Brighton marathon weekend and for me it was capped off nicely by a 14 minute PB. In my head I had 1 main target which was sub 4.20 as wanted to average under @10 minute miles. I planned to start in front of the 4.15 pacers and amazingly for me I managed to keep them behind me until the end desipte the headwinds for the final 4 miles. My official time was 4.13.22 so 14.28 quicker than my Loch Ness time. I now believe that I could push myself under 4 hours with a lot of hard work. My target for this will be the Manchester marathon next year.

Once again the crowds were mega and fellow runners supportive and happy to chat. What pleased me most was I managed to feel strong from 1-21 miles and only really faultered back into the headwind, then it was all a mental challange of one foot in front of the other as I knew a PB was there if I could just keep going at a slightly slower pace. I really was in my own little bubble, seeing [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] was a real boost as he kept saying how well I was doing , I was hardly able to respond as was giving everything I had. Mile 25 was my slowest and most painful as you know you are nearly there BUT its like the minutes are clicking by but the miles arent! I absolutely loved the last 1.2 miles as I finally came back out my bubble and soaked up the crowd support, every cheer and name shout out got me bouncing along. Looking back at my first marathon in 2011 I did that (@ Brighton) in 5.46.34 so have knocked off 1.33.12 and 4 1/2 stone off.

BM 2019.jpg

BenElton'sBrother

Nov 30, 2003
Hove
What a fantastic day - I love the Brighton Marathon!

From my first in 2013 in 5.25.50 (my own entry into personal worst territory) to yesterdays seventh running, I love the crowds, I love the support and atmosphere, I love the pain ... (ok maybe not).

Yesterday was a successful one for me, I came home in 3.33.28 which was a PB of 18 minutes 39 seconds. Pretty consistent 25 minute 5K's up to the final 10K where like everyone else I felt the full force of the breeze coming home.

I set off yesterday exactly 20 lbs lighter than I did in 2018, a large factor in the improvement. Failed to spot any of the NSC contingent despite my best attempts at spotting out on the course.

So much support along the prom and on the road home, pretty sure I've also missed people I know shouting for me just due to being focussed on keeping it all together until the end...

The after run massage in the British Heart Foundation tent worked miracles on my hamstrings and calf's and I was actually able to walk away unaided - which is pretty rare for me!!

Great organisation on the day, huge thanks of course to all the stewards and people who gave up their time to make this possible. Here's to 2020...

LOVE IT!!

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Enjoyed yesterdays Brighton Marathon, but didn't go to plan for me. Wanted a sub 4 hours and the first half I was doing around 9 minutes per mile, but around 16 miles my hamstring hurt and stopped me running, couldn't actually run anymore and had to walk slow jog the final 10 miles. I thought I had pulled a muscle but reading some comments on hear it could have been cramp. I have never had cramp like that before and not sure what started it, I was drinking water, and energy gels every 4 miles. Maybe I could have drunk more water and this was the first race I went from energy gels every 4 miles rather than every 3 miles, but not sure that would have made a big difference. Anyway, crossed the line in 4-37-59 ( at half way I was 1-58). Hamstring feels OK today, knees are ****ed though and can't go down the stairs!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Beaten yesterday by 50+ over 60's, 2 over 70's and managed to just squeeze out the over 75 year old by a minute. Daren't look at my position in the 55-59 group. Anyway I'll be leaving those youngsters in 6 months time.

Be good to have an old gits Weakest Link relay team this summer. We'll need one more though, if either of you know another vintage runner. Wednesday 20th June 7pm start.

Good idea. I've previously been away working so missed this event. I'll have a think about an 'plus 1 old git'. Funny isn't it? I was delighted to win the V60 category the other week until I noticed a V70 had beaten me by well over a minute. Keeps you honest!

PS 6 months gives you a few weeks overlap with me in the V60-64.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good idea. I've previously been away working so missed this event. I'll have a think about an 'plus 1 old git'. Funny isn't it? I was delighted to win the V60 category the other week until I noticed a V70 had beaten me by well over a minute. Keeps you honest!

I’ll be campervanning Romania and Bulgaria then. You’re safe! Have signed up for the Sofia Half Marathon and hoping to see [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] at the start line as he will be there for Bulgaria v England next day., he may prefer the full marathon though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Sandra Brown (no relation ??:)) did the 24 hour track event on Saturday/Sunday..........................and managed 106 miles. She's 70........

Has an incredible record - 200+ 100 mile races.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Morning all.

I love the Brighton marathon weekend and for me it was capped off nicely by a 14 minute PB. In my head I had 1 main target which was sub 4.20 as wanted to average under @10 minute miles. I planned to start in front of the 4.15 pacers and amazingly for me I managed to keep them behind me until the end desipte the headwinds for the final 4 miles. My official time was 4.13.22 so 14.28 quicker than my Loch Ness time. I now believe that I could push myself under 4 hours with a lot of hard work. My target for this will be the Manchester marathon next year.

Once again the crowds were mega and fellow runners supportive and happy to chat. What pleased me most was I managed to feel strong from 1-21 miles and only really faultered back into the headwind, then it was all a mental challange of one foot in front of the other as I knew a PB was there if I could just keep going at a slightly slower pace. I really was in my own little bubble, seeing [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] was a real boost as he kept saying how well I was doing , I was hardly able to respond as was giving everything I had. Mile 25 was my slowest and most painful as you know you are nearly there BUT its like the minutes are clicking by but the miles arent! I absolutely loved the last 1.2 miles as I finally came back out my bubble and soaked up the crowd support, every cheer and name shout out got me bouncing along. Looking back at my first marathon in 2011 I did that (@ Brighton) in 5.46.34 so have knocked off 1.33.12 and 4 1/2 stone off.

View attachment 107672

What a fantastic day - I love the Brighton Marathon!

From my first in 2013 in 5.25.50 (my own entry into personal worst territory) to yesterdays seventh running, I love the crowds, I love the support and atmosphere, I love the pain ... (ok maybe not).

Yesterday was a successful one for me, I came home in 3.33.28 which was a PB of 18 minutes 39 seconds. Pretty consistent 25 minute 5K's up to the final 10K where like everyone else I felt the full force of the breeze coming home.

I set off yesterday exactly 20 lbs lighter than I did in 2018, a large factor in the improvement. Failed to spot any of the NSC contingent despite my best attempts at spotting out on the course.

So much support along the prom and on the road home, pretty sure I've also missed people I know shouting for me just due to being focussed on keeping it all together until the end...

The after run massage in the British Heart Foundation tent worked miracles on my hamstrings and calf's and I was actually able to walk away unaided - which is pretty rare for me!!

Great organisation on the day, huge thanks of course to all the stewards and people who gave up their time to make this possible. Here's to 2020...

LOVE IT!!

Two more fantastic performances - well done to you both. I was about to ask you about your progress since you started out, [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] because I know it's been quite a journey. I'm sure your drive and determination will get you to sub-4. And another great PB for you, BEB. You're right about the support along the prom and to the finish line, it's pretty relentless and really helps you through those last painful miles.

I've talked myself into BM 2020, hopefully I'll be able to shift some more weight by then, myself!

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Congratulations to everyone that ran yesterday, some amazing times and epic stories of endurance.
Wasn’t my day and had to bail out at the half way point due to foot issues making it too painful to continue. Very disappointing as was going well and felt strong but not sorry, it was the right call.
Had to wait with the other drop outs wrapped in foil while our bags were found and bought over. We were a pretty sorry looking bunch but we were given vouchers for some coffees which was a nice touch. It took 45 minutes to get my bag which gave me the opportunity to watch the leaders finish. By then I was still in my wet running gear and getting very cold so didn’t hang around after getting my bag.
Still enjoyed the day and will put things right next year.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here