Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Conditions for 13 The Hard Way looking interesting - 45mph winds - think I’ll give it a miss!

I’ll make a decision on Friday whether to run or not. Based on the current forecast I’ll probably pass and look at a non coastal Park Run.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
East Grinstead's 100th parkrun this weekend, they're putting on a foodbank drive which is decent. I am considering it, because of the conditions we're likely to face at the local parkruns. I've thought about Bevendean, but that's so exposed. Preston Park might not be too bad.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
East Grinstead's 100th parkrun this weekend, they're putting on a foodbank drive which is decent. I am considering it, because of the conditions we're likely to face at the local parkruns. I've thought about Bevendean, but that's so exposed. Preston Park might not be too bad.

Hove Park always a decent shout in the wind.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Best part of a hilly 14 miler in really hot conditions becomes not a lot of fun. The Maverick 23k at the end of June in 30 degrees was punishing, I’d rather not repeat the experience.

You need to man up a bit and get a leaf out of mine and [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION]'s book when we battled the snow, wind and hail of the Moyleman last year!

Anyway, according to my weather app, the rain seems to have turned into sunshine – but still with the wind. Should be fun (ish!)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
You need to man up a bit and get a leaf out of mine and [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION]'s book when we battled the snow, wind and hail of the Moyleman last year!

Anyway, according to my weather app, the rain seems to have turned into sunshine – but still with the wind. Should be fun (ish!)

Very enjoyable day that was. Good luck any hard runners tomorrow.
I’ve had a week of weakness. Bottled the Arena 3K by setting off slow instead of attacking and then ate so much for the rest of the week that I was always too full to go for a run. It was a short lived mojo....

Feeling good. Away at Hove Park tomorrow morning.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Stopped off at Real Patisserie on the way to Parkrun and realised I'd lost my wallet. Drove home not there. Went back to pay and look for it there and managed to lock key in car parked on a disabled bay. ran home to get spare key and then run back. Drove home to look unsuccessfully for wallet and then ring all banks to put cards on hold. Then rung by First Direct to say card and wallet with a good samaritan in Blatchington Road......and relax.

Hope some ****** hasn't used my Waitrose card to get my free paper!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Stopped off at Real Patisserie on the way to Parkrun and realised I'd lost my wallet. Drove home not there. Went back to pay and look for it there and managed to lock key in car parked on a disabled bay. ran home to get spare key and then run back. Drove home to look unsuccessfully for wallet and then ring all banks to put cards on hold. Then rung by First Direct to say card and wallet with a good samaritan in Blatchington Road......and relax.

Hope some ****** hasn't used my Waitrose card to get my free paper!

I was looking out for you now I know why I couldn’t see you.

Glad your Waitrose card is intact and safe.

I finished 13th today in a time around 18:35.

Big course PB by around 17 seconds. The wind wasn’t too bad down there a nice push up the hill.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I was looking out for you now I know why I couldn’t see you.

Glad your Waitrose card is intact and safe.

I finished 13th today in a time around 18:35.

Big course PB by around 17 seconds. The wind wasn’t too bad down there a nice push up the hill.

I was looking forward to that run up the hill. Could really feel the wind pushing me up to Real patisserie.

Hoping for a top ten finish next week at this Parkrun completely on sand, but hard sand I hope, with one turn. https://www.parkrun.ie/inchbeach/

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Incredible display once again by [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] - raising the bar again. :bowdown:

It's doubly frustrating because I found a bit of form this morning in running 5th at Preston Park, 19:00. Just couldn't quite find that extra push to get me back under the sub19s for the first time in quite a while. I don't remember the last sub19, I'll look it up later. It's a best for the year having matched the previous best of 19:30 last week. I ran the first KM in 3:40 and was running in 3rd, so it tells you there wasn't too much in the field to be fair. I got caught by a couple of folks, one I was able to bin off in the last half KM and one who extended away. It's an amazing result considering I've really struggled for pace this week - my mile sprints on tuesday were all between 6:40 and 6:55 and my 10 miler on thursday, intended to be something like 7:15-7:30 per mile ended up being a struggle to get under 8. I wasn't expecting to get close to sub19 today, I was thinking about sub20 only, to keep the run going. As it goes, I've made it 3 sub20s in a row and I'm getting up towards top pace over a 5k distance. Still some work to do to climb the table, but I do get the place back from [MENTION=67]Curious Orange[/MENTION] - unless he's gone and thumped in a crazy 5k time only a couple of days after a 10k race!

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Slow parkrun in very windy woods near Watford today - Aldenham country park. Nice course, trail and lakeside.
Blown out the hangover - now off to the match

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Ventured ‘oop north’ this morning to avoid the wind. Was heading for East Grinstead only for the A23 to be closed about four vehicles in front of us to allow recovery of an over turned car. After waiting about 20 mis, one lane was reopened allowing us to squeeze past and divert to closer Horsham as we would have been too late for EG.
Poured with rain beforehand making a deceptively undulating course slippy in places, but made it round in 21:38 for 33rd out of 470. My Garmin reckoned it was only 4.8km - anyone else done Horsham and thought it was short?
That’s 15/19 Sussex parkruns now - Littlehampton, Eastbourne, E Grinstead and Clare to go to complete the set.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Ventured ‘oop north’ this morning to avoid the wind. Was heading for East Grinstead only for the A23 to be closed about four vehicles in front of us to allow recovery of an over turned car. After waiting about 20 mis, one lane was reopened allowing us to squeeze past and divert to closer Horsham as we would have been too late for EG.
Poured with rain beforehand making a deceptively undulating course slippy in places, but made it round in 21:38 for 33rd out of 470. My Garmin reckoned it was only 4.8km - anyone else done Horsham and thought it was short?
That’s 15/19 Sussex parkruns now - Littlehampton, Eastbourne, E Grinstead and Clare to go to complete the set.

You are closing in on my Sussex' full house'. Well done.(Still awaiting news of Ifield.)

As for me, marshalling in winds the like of which I've not previously experienced. How anyone battled these I'm not sure - but about 240 managed. Hats off. Thoroughly enjoyed the chance to cheer on others and never received so many 'thanks yous' in my life.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here