Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Big field at Worthing today including [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] who was looking in good form (at least until the turn for home when confronted by a nasty little easterly). 22.24 for me (74.18%) which as not bad given that I was nursing a sore Achilles and earned me a 2nd in old git category.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Just had an email from Park Run. It’s exactly 5 years to the day I ran my first ever at Hove Park. Remember it well 24:00 on debut and that felt tough.

53 runs including today in 5 years.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
New SB at Bournemouth parkrun today. Finished 8th in 19:18, AG 72.88%.

It was novel to have a proper athletics track to warm up on, and running past Dean Court twice.

Really muggy running weather today.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I headed for Hove Park today to continue my strategy of small gains. Since setting my benchmark, my parkrun results have been:

Hove Park (today): 24:30
Lancing (27/07): 24:53
Lancing (20/07): 25:47

Happy with that as it’s another 23 seconds off on a harder course. I’m sticking to a plan of running at around 95% effort. It needs to be hard work on my unfit body but it can’t be so tough that it triggers another injury.

The plan now is to run at least twice this week and then aim for 24:00 at a flat parkrun next week. Ideally I don’t want to jump more than 30 seconds in a week.

I have to say that I am loving these parkruns, I’ve missed the feeling you get at the end of a run where you’ve worked hard. Just being able to run at 95% again is fantastic, regardless of how many minutes I take to stagger and sweat my way round.

Great stuff......although 95% is too high an effort for a 5k !

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Another day of strong running from the gang! I was surprised by my early pace in Worthing, until the turn I was really on for sub-19 but my stamina isn't there at top pace at the moment so I have to settle for a SB equalising 19:30. I'm going to start the marathon training for Bournemouth/Leicester on monday, with a nice 10 miler tomorrow morning (on the assumption I drag my carcus out of bed in time to do it in the AM).

After the marathon, I'm going to target the Christmas Day parkrun at Preston Park for 5k PB.

A friend of mine absolutely slaughtered his 5k PB today - having run 18:03 (PB) and 18:04 in the last two weeks (Tilgate and Queen Elizabeth respectively), he rolled into Reading today and smashed a 17:07. :ohmy: He's only 23, but I didn't think that type of improvement in the space of two weeks would be possible. Especially given he spent the week doing epic cycles and no speed work at all. And then run almost a minute quicker - amazing. Anyone experienced anything similar?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thank you. It’s great to be back in the game, even if I do have to make up a matter of minutes before I’m competing with most people on this thread again!

95% is probably exaggerating it a bit to be honest. It’s just finding that level where it feels hard on the lungs and makes you sweat but is still OK on the legs. I’m not sure what that’s called or if it even has a proper name.

Have a look at something like this....gives a good idea of training and racing efforts.....

https://www.myprocoach.net/calculators/running-zones/

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Thanks, interesting. I’m probably running parkruns at 3 or just over at the moment and other runs at 2.

I cannot wait to be in a position to turn it up to 5 again. We all love a totally reckless 5 that you can’t keep up with beyond 2k:lolol:

Glad you’re enjoying the running and sneaking in some time for it. Coming back from time off myself and it hurts a lot more than when fit. Think you’ll be alright thrashing every Saturday full out but sit back in training.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks, interesting. I’m probably running parkruns at 3 or just over at the moment and other runs at 2.

I cannot wait to be in a position to turn it up to 5 again. We all love a totally reckless 5 that you can’t keep up with beyond 2k:lolol:

That’ll be me, DNFing parkrun at 3k then [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Great running from everyone today. Was really confident about my 10k tomorrow until what was meant to be a sensible work meal out last night got a bit out of hand and I've been hanging all day. Needless to say my hopes of a PB are now dwindling and I'm just trying to rehydrate so I can at least make it round tomorrow. Fingers crossed a good night's rest will work wonders and I will wake a new man but that feels unlikely at the moment!

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Another day of strong running from the gang! I was surprised by my early pace in Worthing, until the turn I was really on for sub-19 but my stamina isn't there at top pace at the moment so I have to settle for a SB equalising 19:30. I'm going to start the marathon training for Bournemouth/Leicester on monday, with a nice 10 miler tomorrow morning (on the assumption I drag my carcus out of bed in time to do it in the AM).

After the marathon, I'm going to target the Christmas Day parkrun at Preston Park for 5k PB.

A friend of mine absolutely slaughtered his 5k PB today - having run 18:03 (PB) and 18:04 in the last two weeks (Tilgate and Queen Elizabeth respectively), he rolled into Reading today and smashed a 17:07. :ohmy: He's only 23, but I didn't think that type of improvement in the space of two weeks would be possible. Especially given he spent the week doing epic cycles and no speed work at all. And then run almost a minute quicker - amazing. Anyone experienced anything similar?

Are you doing the Leicester Marathon? I'm doing the Half as I'm aiming for my first full at Brighton next year (got my entry sorted so it's happening!). If you are let's hope for better weather than last year. Was torrential rain the whole way round and it kept all the spectators away which was a shame. Its nice running in some drizzle to keep cool but it was honestly ridiculous.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Great running from everyone today. Was really confident about my 10k tomorrow until what was meant to be a sensible work meal out last night got a bit out of hand and I've been hanging all day. Needless to say my hopes of a PB are now dwindling and I'm just trying to rehydrate so I can at least make it round tomorrow. Fingers crossed a good night's rest will work wonders and I will wake a new man but that feels unlikely at the moment!

My last minute doubts were proved wrong as I have a new PB :) Really tough undulating course and wasn't expecting cross country sections including a muddy trail through the woods but came in 74th with a chip time of 51:59. A bit disappointed almost as I was at 45:30 after 9k but the last 1k was up a very steep rough muddy/rocky hill so it made for a very slow finish. Good practice however for the Badgers Atherstone 10k in 3 weeks.

http://www.nicandsteve.com/Starttof...saUTwpDc3lBwX7D-JC7GjVnwkbj5vEqWwRJT-q9Jd69NU

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Great stuff by you pal. Don't know about the Reading course but QE is a beast (worse than Bevendean IMO) so the improvement could partly be explained by that.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
My last minute doubts were proved wrong as I have a new PB :) Really tough undulating course and wasn't expecting cross country sections including a muddy trail through the woods but came in 74th with a chip time of 51:59. A bit disappointed almost as I was at 45:30 after 9k but the last 1k was up a very steep rough muddy/rocky hill so it made for a very slow finish. Good practice however for the Badgers Atherstone 10k in 3 weeks.

http://www.nicandsteve.com/Starttof...saUTwpDc3lBwX7D-JC7GjVnwkbj5vEqWwRJT-q9Jd69NU

Good galloping. I'll add that to the table, extra points for the NSC traditional pre race drinking.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Are you doing the Leicester Marathon? I'm doing the Half as I'm aiming for my first full at Brighton next year (got my entry sorted so it's happening!). If you are let's hope for better weather than last year. Was torrential rain the whole way round and it kept all the spectators away which was a shame. Its nice running in some drizzle to keep cool but it was honestly ridiculous.

Yes - decision made this afternoon because Leicester is £35, Bournemouth is a disgraceful and impossible to justify £57. I suspect it will be horrific again - I've been to Leicester 3 times, for a football tournament in May/June time and it's been torrential every time! Including this year - I did the Leicester Victoria parkrun in the worst conditions I've known for any run.

Does the Half start at the same place as the Marathon? If so, we'll make sure to make acquaintances. :thumbsup:

Great stuff by you pal. Don't know about the Reading course but QE is a beast (worse than Bevendean IMO) so the improvement could partly be explained by that.

Cheers fella - it was good to catch up with you and your kin again. He's done some very hill running in the week, but even so - it's quite the jump.

Good galloping. I'll add that to the table, extra points for the NSC traditional pre race drinking.

:lolol:

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Yes - decision made this afternoon because Leicester is £35, Bournemouth is a disgraceful and impossible to justify £57. I suspect it will be horrific again - I've been to Leicester 3 times, for a football tournament in May/June time and it's been torrential every time! Including this year - I did the Leicester Victoria parkrun in the worst conditions I've known for any run.

Does the Half start at the same place as the Marathon? If so, we'll make sure to make acquaintances. :thumbsup:

Haha, yeah it's pretty grey up here most of the time and seems to rain every bloody weekend! Met my Mrs up here while at Uni (she's a Leicester lass) and having finished uni over a decade ago I'm still here. Moving Market Harborough way once the Mrs finishes her nursing degree and we actually have money again.

I normally do the Braunstone Parkrun rather than Victoria as it's a much prettier course (albeit the park itself is in the middle of a hell hole estate).

Half Marathon and Marathon set off from the same location at the same time. Course is pretty flat from memory so you should be on for a decent time although the finishing stretch up New Walk (slight incline) felt like Everest last year though. Full Marathons split off around the 7 mile mark while I will be turning gratefully for the city centre! Sounds like a plan to meet up at some point if you're about pre-race, I need all the tips I can get!

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
21:32 was good enough for 8th place at East Brighton park run yesterday. It’s a deceptively challenging course and I’m still not sure why. It isn’t particularly hilly, has a decent wide route to follow with very few turns but by my third lap I was hurting. It’s a good addition to the city’s options if your looking to run something between Bevy and Hove park.
Another 30ish mile week for me with my main focus now being on those sausage rolls at Beachy in October.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Haha, yeah it's pretty grey up here most of the time and seems to rain every bloody weekend! Met my Mrs up here while at Uni (she's a Leicester lass) and having finished uni over a decade ago I'm still here. Moving Market Harborough way once the Mrs finishes her nursing degree and we actually have money again.

I normally do the Braunstone Parkrun rather than Victoria as it's a much prettier course (albeit the park itself is in the middle of a hell hole estate).

Half Marathon and Marathon set off from the same location at the same time. Course is pretty flat from memory so you should be on for a decent time although the finishing stretch up New Walk (slight incline) felt like Everest last year though. Full Marathons split off around the 7 mile mark while I will be turning gratefully for the city centre! Sounds like a plan to meet up at some point if you're about pre-race, I need all the tips I can get!

It's funny - I'd never heard of Market Harborough this time last year but since then I've seen their football team lost 4-2 to the Doughboys of Wellingborough and found out that Micky Adams works with the team on a voluntary basis as he lives there!

I will definitely be around on the saturday, my intention is to stay at the Stoneycroft again (it's so, so bad but I absolutely love it for it! This year, they didn't even have plugs for the bathtub, you want a bath? Supply your own plug! :lolol: It was a genuine policy), just up the hill from Victoria Park. I'm happy to share my wisdom of many bad Half Marathons, but one very good one at Worthing 2018!

My next race (parkrun not included) is to be the Isle of Wight Half on 18th August, it gets targeted by serious runners and despite being a hilly hell hole of a race, the winning time last year was 1:12. :ohmy: I'll be hoping for a nice top 20 spot!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here