Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Lots of NSCers with niggles, any recommendations for any strengthening? I am a bit overweight and if i do anything for much more than an hour i ache an awful lot. Particularly glutes/hamstrings.

I am not very flexible at all - is it worth taking up some sort of Pilates?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

An hour's exercise is quiete a lot. I do a set of stretches and swimming is reall good but can't get in that cold cold sea yet. Best to try stuff and do what you like best. Good luck.

D

Deleted member 2719

**********MAFFETONE TRAINING UPDATE**********

Hi all, for any of you interested in low heart rate training - a further update on my Maffetone journey/experiment/progress over the last few weeks.

Been a bit of a weird month, I didn't feel I was making much progress so had a bit of a wobble mid month and considered jacking the whole thing in. I decided instead to bring in a small amount of speed work and so did a few faster KM's here and there and that really seemed to help both mentally and physically. It felt so so good to get the legs going again at 4.00-4.30 min/km pace. What I have seen in the last 10 days or so is a big improvement in my pace at my Maffetone heart rate (143bpm) so that's really good news. MAF Test this morning averaged 6.09min/KM but I've been lower recently. I should consistently be below 6min/KM pretty soon - seeing splits that begin with a 5 is such a joy!

So 8 weeks in now and I guess I've strayed away a little from pure Maffetone and am now probably moving towards 80/20 training (I'm kinda at 90/10 right now!), whatever it is I'm doing the plan is to stick to low heart rate most of the time and chuck in a few hard efforts here and there. Keep the easy runs easy and the hard runs hard (as someone much better at running than me once said!). I'm going to bring some hill work in once the trails have dried up a little more, I've really missed being up on the downs.

Some data below from my Maffetone runs and tests - all at a max HR of 143bpm.

View attachment 134327

Until next time - safe running!!!

BW

Thanks for the update Butch.

Can you just remind me of the formula to get your Maffetone HR pace, please?

As mine has been at just 117bpm which is slower than slow.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Don’t try this training plan! With 26 rest days in a month with no cross training I’ve managed...
5 running sessions in a month.
Feb 3rd 3x1mile 7:09 7:16 6:42 normal cushion trainers
Feb 19th 4x 1/2m 7:00 pace normal trainers
Feb 21st 4x 1/4m 6:08 pace magic yellow flat racers
Feb 24th PP Magic Mile 6:14 magic yellows
March 2nd 5x.2m 5:36 pace Vaporfly Next 4%

My calf issue went yesterday morning and moved to my lower back. Proof for [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] theory of the link between them? Should be fine tomorrow just DOMS. Caused by switch to running on the toes with the Vaporfly (only a mile) Now have 2 days rollering and stretching before going for solo glory this weekend. The adrenaline is flowing.......

What are Vaporflys like? I am tempted to buy a pair but need to get more in shape first.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The BM Virtual Mile is done and dusted. Set off to Madeira Drive and decided whilst warming up that there were too many bikes, cars, dogs pedestrians, runners, scooters to be able to safely run full pelt. So I headed over to the Docks where it was much quieter.
Set off too quickly and did the first 10th at 5:00 pace. Hit halfway at 2:56 but already feeling it. Struggled and puffed on to get 6:03.
Failed to catch the Gasson by 5 secs and failed to hit sub 6 by 3 secs. Succeded in knocking off 11 secs from last week and succeded in just seeing it home after going off too fast.

It was always going to be hard with such a short build up and the vaccination reaction from last Sunday didn't help. We have to learn from runs like this......13 seconds of my 2021 aim and it's only early March.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
What are Vaporflys like? I am tempted to buy a pair but need to get more in shape first.

Not sure. Only worn three times in a year for mile efforts. Probably give me at least 10 seconds. Think they might be betterfor 5k and 10k. I'd rather have the no longer available Asic Gel Hyperspeed6

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Thanks for the update Butch.

Can you just remind me of the formula to get your Maffetone HR pace, please?

As mine has been at just 117bpm which is slower than slow.

180 minus age, then can be tweaked as below. :thumbsup:

32E248CD-6E74-47A4-A36B-1D76ED00FA57.png

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not sure. Only worn three times in a year for mile efforts. Probably give me at least 10 seconds. Think they might be betterfor 5k and 10k. I'd rather have the no longer available Asic Gel Hyperspeed6

Thanks. They look like fun, seem to work... when I’m fitter in the summer I might be tempted.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The BM Virtual Mile is done and dusted. Set off to Madeira Drive and decided whilst warming up that there were too many bikes, cars, dogs pedestrians, runners, scooters to be able to safely run full pelt. So I headed over to the Docks where it was much quieter.
Set off too quickly and did the first 10th at 5:00 pace. Hit halfway at 2:56 but already feeling it. Struggled and puffed on to get 6:03.
Failed to catch the Gasson by 5 secs and failed to hit sub 6 by 3 secs. Succeded in knocking off 11 secs from last week and succeded in just seeing it home after going off too fast.

It was always going to be hard with such a short build up and the vaccination reaction from last Sunday didn't help. We have to learn from runs like this......13 seconds of my 2021 aim and it's only early March.

Still brilliant :clap2:

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

Fantastic Gaffer! Super running!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

Well done. Funnily enough my Garmin told me I’d set a new mile PB at is morning during my notparkrun of 6:43 so you’re way ahead of me. Completed the notparkrun in 21:23 (AG 71.2%) which I am pretty happy with- hopefully can get near to 21 mins when parkrun returns - and I’ll be a year older which will boost the AG.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Top effort, mate, with more to come.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sorry to hear about the niggle. Boundto happen at some point on those v. intensuve workouts, I guess.

An almost windless Worthing prom gave me the opportunity to 'blast' a quick 5k and I managed an SB of 22.04. This gives me a 76.72% AG and raises the bar a little higher.
I reckon that if you are anywhere near your target time for 1 mile you'll smash that out of the park, but if you fall short then that's a bit of a soft target to beat.

The good news is I had an intensive month and survived injury. Time to put the brakes on and work up to the 10k challenge. The biggest bonus is I have not had the slightest rheumatoid flare up, the slightest warning and I’d have to stop running again. I’ll enjoy it while I can.

Now for what you have been waiting for the AG. A very close call. I just pipped you with 76.92% with 6:03 from Strava on my PC. However, Strava on my phone gives me 6:02 and 77.13%. Guess which one I submitted.😁
We’re very lucky [MENTION=11816]Artie Fufkin[/MENTION] let’s us play this game happily together.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Well done. Funnily enough my Garmin told me I’d set a new mile PB at is morning during my notparkrun of 6:43 so you’re way ahead of me. Completed the notparkrun in 21:23 (AG 71.2%) which I am pretty happy with- hopefully can get near to 21 mins when parkrun returns - and I’ll be a year older which will boost the AG.

I reckon you'll be able to beat 21:00 easily on Day 1 of Parkrun. You're training mix is looking near perfect for when racing resumes.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
The good news is I had an intensive month and survived injury. Time to put the brakes on and work up to the 10k challenge. The biggest bonus is I have not had the slightest rheumatoid flare up, the slightest warning and I’d have to stop running again. I’ll enjoy it while I can.

Now for what you have been waiting for the AG. A very close call. I just pipped you with 76.92% with 6:03 from Strava on my PC. However, Strava on my phone gives me 6:02 and 77.13%. Guess which one I submitted.😁
We’re very lucky [MENTION=11816]Artie Fufkin[/MENTION] let’s us play this game happily together.

Not to mention the Bozza!

Managed a 22.09 this morning in the company of one Matt Dumigan who won the Brighton HM a few years back. He's not running these days (I don't count running with me as 'running'!). He was once a sub 14.30 5k runner. I'll just say that the gap between us has narrowed - a bit!

I've not done any calcs but I reckon I'd have to be well under sub 22 to get your 77.13%. Last year I did that 21.24 (78.38%) but that was not so much wind-assisted as wind powered!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

It might be worth keeping your powder dry - Nike dropped limited quantities of the Vaporfly NEXT% 2 in the US last week - https://news.nike.com/footwear/nike-vaporfly-next-percent-2-official-images-release-date - with the full release due on March 25th.

Not sure what this will do for the price of the regular Vaporfly NEXT% which becomes "the old model" then. Nike still have a full-size range of this in three colour ways including the gorgeous-looking Blue Ribbon Sports variant - https://www.nike.com/gb/t/zoomx-vaporfly-next-running-shoe-j4772j/DD8337-400 (Nike was originally known as Blue Ribbon Sports).

Another trick: these shoes are rarely if ever discounted, for obvious reasons. However Nike members, which is free to register, get a 25% "birthday discount" and this DOES work against these shoes. If you're thinking about buying, you could make up a near-dated birthday (go for a month out) to get a discount sooner rather than later:

Screenshot 2021-03-07 at 12.07.28.png

Finally, if you don't want to spend quite that much, I absolutely love my Tempo NEXT%s - the training version of the racing AlphaFly, and I've worn these for all my PB improvements of late (5km 20:14 -> 19:01; 10km 43:24 -> 39:05; HM 1:41:37 -> 1:34:48). Maybe it's all psychological but when I put these on I feel a lot faster. You can use the same birthday trick for a discount on these too - https://www.nike.com/gb/t/air-zoom-tempo-next-running-shoe-6qtL3l/CI9923-103

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
It might be worth keeping your powder dry - Nike dropped limited quantities of the Vaporfly NEXT% 2 in the US last week - https://news.nike.com/footwear/nike-vaporfly-next-percent-2-official-images-release-date - with the full release due on March 25th.

Not sure what this will do for the price of the regular Vaporfly NEXT% which becomes "the old model" then. Nike still have a full-size range of this in three colour ways including the gorgeous-looking Blue Ribbon Sports variant - https://www.nike.com/gb/t/zoomx-vaporfly-next-running-shoe-j4772j/DD8337-400 (Nike was originally known as Blue Ribbon Sports).

Another trick: these shoes are rarely if ever discounted, for obvious reasons. However Nike members, which is free to register, get a 25% "birthday discount" and this DOES work against these shoes. If you're thinking about buying, you could make up a near-dated birthday (go for a month out) to get a discount sooner rather than later:

View attachment 134567

Finally, if you don't want to spend quite that much, I absolutely love my Tempo NEXT%s - the training version of the racing AlphaFly, and I've worn these for all my PB improvements of late (5km 20:14 -> 19:01; 10km 43:24 -> 39:05; HM 1:41:37 -> 1:34:48). Maybe it's all psychological but when I put these on I feel a lot faster. You can use the same birthday trick for a discount on these too - https://www.nike.com/gb/t/air-zoom-tempo-next-running-shoe-6qtL3l/CI9923-103

I might buy a pair my current pair are nearly worn out with 5 miles on them in a year. :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

View attachment 134567

Wow. Thanks for this. I mentioned I want to get up-to-speed before making such a purchase* and this will tie in with my (actual) birthday in the summer. I feel this purchase is meant to be.

* I figure I will look a bit of a plum wearing such shoes whilst a few pounds over weight and blowing like a horse when grinding around the neighbourhood.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

:smile: great to see the improvement Gaffer and happy to hear you're in an uninterrupted groove with your running. That's brilliant!

I've just been ticking along maintaining the 80+ miles/week base building mileage but I'm going to start introducing some more specific sessions soon so I might have a go at a 1 mile or 5k time trial in the next few weeks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here