Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I recently picked up a pair of the Saucony Endorphin Speed (50% off with my Vitality membership via RunnersNeed) and looking forward to trying them out.
Just tried them on. Very very comfy! I'm tempted to use on my long run tomorrow but know that might be a little premature!

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
8 hours 30 into the 24 hours now. Could get 200 miles if keeps up the current pace. Incredible stuff.

Been dipping in and out all afternoon.......it’s strangely compelling. His pacing is on another planet......stops excluded, it’s just metronomic.....just under 2mins per lap. Looks utterly comfortable 9 hours in (and for all us mortals, that’s at 22-23 min parkrun pace).

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
My first and still current trail shoes which have done 205 miles in almost three years. I’ve kept them in pretty good nick so wasn’t expecting to replace them after so few miles. What I didn’t know is that it’s not just the miles in the shoe, but the age too is a factor.

In fairness there are a couple of small holes where my big toe is on both but nothing too major. I decided to grab a new pair, so went for the Hoka Challenger ATR 5.

Picked up a pair for £69 but was torn between them and the Hoka Speedgoats.

Does anyone have experience of one or both? And what’s your view?

Looks like the ATR is great for road/trail combo runs but not sure it’s got much grip in more treacherous conditions.

Do you need a pair of both which would be dependent on terrain and conditions?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Killian has DNF’d already....too cold and tired apparently.

Waiting for the press conference that says the course was ‘too flat’ [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My first and still current trail shoes which have done 205 miles in almost three years. I’ve kept them in pretty good nick so wasn’t expecting to replace them after so few miles. What I didn’t know is that it’s not just the miles in the shoe, but the age too is a factor.

In fairness there are a couple of small holes where my big toe is on both but nothing too major. I decided to grab a new pair, so went for the Hoka Challenger ATR 5.

Picked up a pair for £69 but was torn between them and the Hoka Speedgoats.

Does anyone have experience of one or both? And what’s your view?

Looks like the ATR is great for road/trail combo runs but not sure it’s got much grip in more treacherous conditions.

Do you need a pair of both which would be dependent on terrain and conditions?

I almost always use the ATRs on the Downs for long runs, they are pretty good. Grip better than expected.

If I’m expecting a truly muddy run I’ll go for something with better grip - almost always Inov-8 for me- but for the Downs, especially if on the established paths, the ATRs are fine.

The ATRs are also OK if you have some more solid sections in your run. I did 27m midweek in them, probably 1/4 road and 3/4 downland track in the drizzle. No probs at all.

My ATRs are starting to fall apart, but I’ve done well over 1000 miles in them

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I almost always use the ATRs on the Downs for long runs, they are pretty good. Grip better than expected.

If I’m expecting a truly muddy run I’ll go for something with better grip - almost always Inov-8 for me- but for the Downs, especially if on the established paths, the ATRs are fine.

The ATRs are also OK if you have some more solid sections in your run. I did 27m midweek in them, probably 1/4 road and 3/4 downland track in the drizzle. No probs at all.

My ATRs are starting to fall apart, but I’ve done well over 1000 miles in them

That’s good to know. As a non driver I often have to run on road to get to trail, so these should fit the bill perfectly.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That’s good to know. As a non driver I often have to run on road to get to trail, so these should fit the bill perfectly.

I'm the same, not because I don't drive, but because I always run from my front door so my trail runs always have road at some point.

My issues are the chalky stretches I have to deal with, particularly when they are on slopes. When they get wet, they're like ice.

I'm struggling to think any shoes would get much traction on these surfaces, especially when they have to cope with road as well.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm the same, not because I don't drive, but because I always run from my front door so my trail runs always have road at some point.

My issues are the chalky stretches I have to deal with, particularly when they are on slopes. When they get wet, they're like ice.

I'm struggling to think any shoes would get much traction on these surfaces, especially when they have to cope with road as well.

ATRs are fine for this. Cushioned enough for the road and decent enough grip for the chalk.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
I'm super grateful to report that our self isolation came to an abrupt end yesterday and I'm able to get out and run!

Incredibly my wife received an email from NHS Test & Trace on Thursday to say her positive test result from Sunday was an error by the lab!! The test result was actually void and she was told to get another test. After another anxious night she received a negative result yesterday and we've been notified we are no longer required to self isolate.

The lab testing errors were in the news yesterday - https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...hey-have-covid-after-test-and-trace-lab-error

Despite not having any symptoms, it's been a roller coaster of emotions this week, waking up each morning wondering if it was going to be the day that either she or I or our boys were going to start to experience symptoms. We're a bit emotional drained but hugely relieved and it's given us a stark reminder to be super careful.

I felt like a little kid at Christmas heading out for my run this morning. I don't think a stopped smiling the whole way. :) We just need a good performance and result against Liverpool today for my day to be complete!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm super grateful to report that our self isolation came to an abrupt end yesterday and I'm able to get out and run!

Incredibly my wife received an email from NHS Test & Trace on Thursday to say her positive test result from Sunday was an error by the lab!! The test result was actually void and she was told to get another test. After another anxious night she received a negative result yesterday and we've been notified we are no longer required to self isolate.

The lab testing errors were in the news yesterday - https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...hey-have-covid-after-test-and-trace-lab-error

Despite not having any symptoms, it's been a roller coaster of emotions this week, waking up each morning wondering if it was going to be the day that either she or I or our boys were going to start to experience symptoms. We're a bit emotional drained but hugely relieved and it's given us a stark reminder to be super careful.

I felt like a little kid at Christmas heading out for my run this morning. I don't think a stopped smiling the whole way. :) We just need a good performance and result against Liverpool today for my day to be complete!

Great news Artie! Hope you carry on the winning streak at lunch time.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
ATRs are fine for this. Cushioned enough for the road and decent enough grip for the chalk.

I know you're far more experienced than I am on trails, but having looked at some close-ups of the soles of those, they're not massively different from my two Nike pairs. I just don't see how they can grip onto something that has no give - so the lugs can't "dig in" at all, and is like a sheet of ice.

What it may be, thinking about it now, is I've just not been respectful enough of the conditions and expected to be able to just barrel on regardless. This autumn, thus far, I've taken a lot more care on the chalky stretches I have to deal with, slowing to a careful walk if required, until I'm onto a better surface.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I know you're far more experienced than I am on trails, but having looked at some close-ups of the soles of those, they're not massively different from my two Nike pairs. I just don't see how they can grip onto something that has no give - so the lugs can't "dig in" at all, and is like a sheet of ice.

What it may be, thinking about it now, is I've just not been respectful enough of the conditions and expected to be able to just barrel on regardless. This autumn, thus far, I've taken a lot more care on the chalky stretches I have to deal with, slowing to a careful walk if required, until I'm onto a better surface.

Fair point....problem with the Downs is that there isn’t a ‘perfect shoe’ because the underfoot conditions vary so much within a run, particularly a longer one. I’ve got some super-grippy Inov8 shoes with big lugs that are fantastic on stretches where there is an inch or two of wet clay on hard chalk (in your manor parts of the track around Cissbury for example), but they’re not so good on the hard packed or tarmac stretches (very little cushioning) so for me it’s finding the right trade-off between comfort and grip.

If I use my midweek run as an example, I could have used road shoes for a quarter of it (tarmac, concrete, hard packed farm tracks and solid, dry grass), a middling trail shoe for 3/4s and something very grippy for the rest.......

Nail on head re slowing down and picking your way through the worst bits [emoji106][emoji106]

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Managed an hour all running this morning for the first time since March. Very, very close to a 10k as well (6.1 miles). Not quick but at least I averaged under 10 minutes per mile (just) so it's starting to come together.

Was pushed along by my old training partner (socially distanced) which definitely helped. Had a conversation most of the way round which the old "talk test" would suggest meant I was only running at "easy" effort but I still don't really trust my lungs and I felt exhausted at the end of it. Nice to have a "long run" (at least in terms of time on feet) again at least.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Can't quite believe it but i've been running for nearly 2 years now. A few false starts at the beginning - its not easy at first - is it - when you're a 50something out of breath walking up the steps in the WSU (remember that !!) . Mrs CJ nudged me into it with a christmas present of a pair of Asiics and the demand that I come along to park run whilst we're up in Norwich one xmas and i folded. I staggered round that - just - i thought my chest was going to explode and i stopped. Several times. And then i gave up and never really got into it - again - until about May 2019 - when i did a few more park runs and that was it. Addicted. Started doing Regents Park circuits in my lunch break, long stretches round the lanes and paths of Chailey, Newick, Plumpton and Fletching and last December suggested by [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] i think, i did my first runstreak and medal supporting that rather good "Run Up to Christmas" Lot.
Mrs CJ and the lad (who's a club runner) have also been really supportive to keep me going (choice of shoes, training plans, warm ups, routes, and enthusisam) and this thread has been great - mostly as a lurker and sometimes for some practical help when i needed it. Lots of inspirational stories.

So to 2020 - i did my first half marathon (under 2 hours - yay!) , had my first mild injury, stopped running anywhere other than er, near my house, the middle aged knees are thankfully still intact, really miss ParkRuns and i'm now in the home stretch of a 100 days to xmas runstreak - this time trying to nail 2020Km in 2020. I'm at about 1850Km today so nearly there. Day 75! in a bit.

and 2021 - Brighton marathon - why not.
Good luck NSC runners. Keep at it. and thanks for the stories, tips and recommendations. Appreciated.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Can't quite believe it but i've been running for nearly 2 years now. A few false starts at the beginning - its not easy at first - is it - when you're a 50something out of breath walking up the steps in the WSU (remember that !!) . Mrs CJ nudged me into it with a christmas present of a pair of Asiics and the demand that I come along to park run whilst we're up in Norwich one xmas and i folded. I staggered round that - just - i thought my chest was going to explode and i stopped. Several times. And then i gave up and never really got into it - again - until about May 2019 - when i did a few more park runs and that was it. Addicted. Started doing Regents Park circuits in my lunch break, long stretches round the lanes and paths of Chailey, Newick, Plumpton and Fletching and last December suggested by [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] i think, i did my first runstreak and medal supporting that rather good "Run Up to Christmas" Lot.
Mrs CJ and the lad (who's a club runner) have also been really supportive to keep me going (choice of shoes, training plans, warm ups, routes, and enthusisam) and this thread has been great - mostly as a lurker and sometimes for some practical help when i needed it. Lots of inspirational stories.

So to 2020 - i did my first half marathon (under 2 hours - yay!) , had my first mild injury, stopped running anywhere other than er, near my house, the middle aged knees are thankfully still intact, really miss ParkRuns and i'm now in the home stretch of a 100 days to xmas runstreak - this time trying to nail 2020Km in 2020. I'm at about 1850Km today so nearly there. Day 75! in a bit.

and 2021 - Brighton marathon - why not.
Good luck NSC runners. Keep at it. and thanks for the stories, tips and recommendations. Appreciated.

Disappointed this post was not accompanied with one of your IG post-run snaps!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Managed an hour all running this morning for the first time since March. Very, very close to a 10k as well (6.1 miles). Not quick but at least I averaged under 10 minutes per mile (just) so it's starting to come together.

Was pushed along by my old training partner (socially distanced) which definitely helped. Had a conversation most of the way round which the old "talk test" would suggest meant I was only running at "easy" effort but I still don't really trust my lungs and I felt exhausted at the end of it. Nice to have a "long run" (at least in terms of time on feet) again at least.

As someone who had years away from running recently - I've only been going for just over a year again - I can testify as to how quickly the improvements come if you're able to stick with it.

Fingers crossed the lurgy doesn't get in your way, and you can come back STRONG!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Disappointed this post was not accompanied with one of your IG post-run snaps!

ha ! ok go on then. (sorry everyone else if i've put you off your breakfasts !)

forbozza.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here