Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Isle of Wight parkrun and then Half Marathon for me over the weekend - 9th in 19:50 and 44th in 1:35:03 respectively. Annoyingly, I'd forgotten my watch so had to use my phone to record both which means I didn't know my pace around either at the time of running. Less a problem in the parkrun than the Half, but ultimately a different challenge not having a clue how I was getting on during the events. The parkrun is called Medina, but is held at a different park half of the year, Appley Park. In my opinion, if they're going to move it around (and also, this week was the hillier version of the Appley Park course, there is a flatter version of the course as well) - it should be more generically named. It's the only one on the island, surely it should just be called IOW parkrun? If I hadn't been recently stung by a cancellation I didn't know about, I would have been stung by the course being moved from Newport to Ryde, the better part of 10 miles between the two courses. The Half is one of the hillier road Halfs going, including the KM on a 50mph A road. Not the most pleasant, but the rest of the course is quite nice, although very windy yesterday and there was a biblical monsoon in the morning so the off road section (about half of the total race) was particularly boggy.

Sorry to read about injuries, we've all been there. :down:

Yep, Jnr Bobkin and I made the mistake of going to the wrong parkrun venue when we were on the IOW. Luckily, we had enough time to get to the other one in time – I doubt you would've been so fortunate, giving your time-keeping :lol:

Well done – sound like two good performances, despite the lack of a watch...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Yep, Jnr Bobkin and I made the mistake of going to the wrong parkrun venue when we were on the IOW. Luckily, we had enough time to get to the other one in time – I doubt you would've been so fortunate, giving your time-keeping :lol:

Well done – sound like two good performances, despite the lack of a watch...

You know the irony is that being up so early on sunday meant I got drenched to the skin. If I'd been up about 30 minutes later, I'd have missed all of the rain and significantly enjoyed the whole experience a lot more! Being early tends to be a disaster for me! I was early getting to the train station on the friday, and realised as I sat on the train I didn't have my watch. :facepalm:

8 x 1km sprints for me last night, ranging from 3:41 to 3:53 - happy with the consistency of the efforts and the speed of the last three (although in fairness, the first 4 were into the wind, the final 4 were away from it). Kettering parkrun for me on saturday, on the assumption I'm up in time and not too hung over - I've done it once before in 19:20, it's a Hove Parkesque course with a couple of climbs - I'll be looking to dip under 19 minutes for the first time this year.
[MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] - your 18:28 might not guarantee you finishing the year above me, be wary!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Managed some tempo intervals this morning. 8 x 2 mins with 30 secs walk and 30 secs jog in between. No injury issues at the higher pace but on the cooldown the pain returned and had to run / walk the last three quarters of a mile. It's either reactive and grumbling at the end of a session or it doesn't like low impact jogging. Or both.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Managed some tempo intervals this morning. 8 x 2 mins with 30 secs walk and 30 secs jog in between. No injury issues at the higher pace but on the cooldown the pain returned and had to run / walk the last three quarters of a mile. It's either reactive and grumbling at the end of a session or it doesn't like low impact jogging. Or both.

What sort of warm up do you do before setting off on a run?

I try and do a jog at varying paces, generally very slow but with a few faster strides to get the pace up, and then dynamic stretching and another slower paced jog. Throw in some static stretching and I'm away. A friend of mine doesn't do long distances, so he generally just does some static stretching and gets straight into the session but I find I fall apart a bit if I do that - especially early on.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Up Mill and Truleigh hills I managed negative splits this morning – that's never happened. I was also only four seconds off my 'Mill Hill and Back' Strava segment PB and I wasn't even going for it! Lovely run after a few days off.

I'm making my debut at Lancing on Saturday as part of a longer run. Not done it before and I've have had my doubts about it, but there is cake because it's the parkrun's first birthday so it would be rude not to.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
What sort of warm up do you do before setting off on a run?

I try and do a jog at varying paces, generally very slow but with a few faster strides to get the pace up, and then dynamic stretching and another slower paced jog. Throw in some static stretching and I'm away. A friend of mine doesn't do long distances, so he generally just does some static stretching and gets straight into the session but I find I fall apart a bit if I do that - especially early on.

I'm back on a coached plan. The first 15-20 minutes are always jogged with a few strides in to get the HR up if I'm moving on to a speed session. I don't stretch before because you have to make sure the muscle is warmed up and I don't want to break my rhythm after 20 mins of jogging. Stretch afterwards if I remember :lol:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Up Mill and Truleigh hills I managed negative splits this morning – that's never happened. I was also only four seconds off my 'Mill Hill and Back' Strava segment PB and I wasn't even going for it! Lovely run after a few days off.

I'm making my debut at Lancing on Saturday as part of a longer run. Not done it before and I've have had my doubts about it, but there is cake because it's the parkrun's first birthday so it would be rude not to.

I was going to mention it's their birthday, but when I finished reading your post - you were very well aware. :lolol: It's a shame it's this week - I'm spending a weekend away otherwise I'd have gone along as well. I've only done it a couple of times, including my 100th.

I'm back on a coached plan. The first 15-20 minutes are always jogged with a few strides in to get the HR up if I'm moving on to a speed session. I don't stretch before because you have to make sure the muscle is warmed up and I don't want to break my rhythm after 20 mins of jogging. Stretch afterwards if I remember :lol:

It might be something to consider - if you don't static stretch, a few walking lunges or some side stepping might do you good in the initial stage. Something to consider. :thumbsup:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
You know the irony is that being up so early on sunday meant I got drenched to the skin. If I'd been up about 30 minutes later, I'd have missed all of the rain and significantly enjoyed the whole experience a lot more! Being early tends to be a disaster for me! I was early getting to the train station on the friday, and realised as I sat on the train I didn't have my watch. :facepalm:

8 x 1km sprints for me last night, ranging from 3:41 to 3:53 - happy with the consistency of the efforts and the speed of the last three (although in fairness, the first 4 were into the wind, the final 4 were away from it). Kettering parkrun for me on saturday, on the assumption I'm up in time and not too hung over - I've done it once before in 19:20, it's a Hove Parkesque course with a couple of climbs - I'll be looking to dip under 19 minutes for the first time this year.
[MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] - your 18:28 might not guarantee you finishing the year above me, be wary!

Interesting timing as the 18:28 could improve tomorrow evening if I pace a 5000 metre track race well.

I’m in a race with some real strong runners (sub 15 minute) so I’m going to get slaughtered and lapped by many but i see it as a great opportunity for a pb.

There are a few in and around my standard but looking at the lineup I may well have to go sub 18 to not pick up the wooden spoon.

Looking forward to it as never raced track before but a bit nervous IVO the calibre of runners I’m up against.

I’ll report back tomorrow.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Interesting timing as the 18:28 could improve tomorrow evening if I pace a 5000 metre track race well.

I’m in a race with some real strong runners (sub 15 minute) so I’m going to get slaughtered and lapped by many but i see it as a great opportunity for a pb.

There are a few in and around my standard but looking at the lineup I may well have to go sub 18 to not pick up the wooden spoon.

Looking forward to it as never raced track before but a bit nervous IVO the calibre of runners I’m up against.

Excellent!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

I repeat GNT’s excellent. I’d enjoy watching that one. I can sense the adrenaline kicking in already.

If you break 18:00 at your old age, it could cause a stir in the Age Grade rankings. Enjoy it but don’t go too fast....

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I repeat GNT’s excellent. I’d enjoy watching that one. I can sense the adrenaline kicking in already.

If you break 18:00 at your old age, it could cause a stir in the Age Grade rankings. Enjoy it but don’t go too fast....

I’d be in and around 74%. I hit the big 40 in 2 months.

That being said I’d have to take 28 seconds off my Park Run pb so the most likely result is somewhere between 18:15-18:30.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

That being said I’d have to take 28 seconds off my Park Run pb so the most likely result is somewhere between 18:15-18:30.

Good return for someone ever improving. You’ll be running in your sleep tonight.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Audition for Chariots of Fire down in Dingle.

[video]https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOFJSar_leI72ZTeTJdIGT3qM hylw4NO_be1z4[/video]

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Not sure a track 5k should be counting towards the table!

In all seriousness, good luck with the race - the challenge will be maintaining the high pace and not trying to run someone else's race. I think I'd really struggle to keep focused purely on my own race, and not try to go off too quick or get sucked in by the high pace. So long as you're disciplined and maintain focus, it'll be a PB for sure.

Not looking forward to the update later. :ffsparr:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

Plenty of time for improvement then - all of my pb's were set in my early 40's! I look forward to hearing how you get on tonight. :thumbsup:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

100% this - static stretches definitely not the way forward (especially for some of us older models). Every running training session I do (also from a coached programme) has an easy bit at the start for 10-15 mins to get everything warmed up and moving. Yoga/stretching afterwards is, however, a very good thing.

Bit of hill hiking training for me this morning (neglected by so many people who do longer distances, not realising they'll be walking large chunks of hilly events) - absolutely glorious morning for running on the Downs (if it wasn't repeatedly up and down the Tank Tracks :eek:).

Got a last minute entry into a race this weekend in Kent. Boring 3 mile laps (max 6 hours) but should be a useful slow training thing to cap of a further increase in weekly volume.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not sure a track 5k should be counting towards the table!

In all seriousness, good luck with the race - the challenge will be maintaining the high pace and not trying to run someone else's race. I think I'd really struggle to keep focused purely on my own race, and not try to go off too quick or get sucked in by the high pace. So long as you're disciplined and maintain focus, it'll be a PB for sure.

Not looking forward to the update later. :ffsparr:

Funnily enough was reading a fascinating (if you like this kind of thing) piece on this (comparison of track v road 5ks) last night - have a read of this.

https://medium.com/@willmycroft/the-unreasonable-speed-of-certain-road-5k-races-77754c9c7078

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Let us know how you get on with the new Jesus. I found him very very good when I saw him with knee trouble.

Brace yourself............ it’s not always comfortable!!

Just finished with your namesake.

I would highly recommend based on the visit. Has the same philosophy as the old Jesus - £40 but try to diagnose, treat and give some stretches out of one visit.

I haven't been doing enough stretching but more neglecting my daily "pre-hab" routine and stretches after runs. Specifically my right hip is incredibly tight and my abductor is too on that side. That's all causing the ITB to irritate the knee cap initally but then the pain radiates back to the abductor and quads.

I have almost no flexibiility in my hip at all so the treatment stretches are all focussed on that for the moment. Proscribed 15 mins of stretching per 1 hour of running (can carry on running though) with a daily set of hip looseners. If it works then he reckons I'll run quicker. Tight enough at the moment to be slowing me down as well as causing pain.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

I would highly recommend based on the visit. Has the same philosophy as the old Jesus - £40 but try to diagnose, treat and give some stretches out of one visit.

I haven't been doing enough stretching but more neglecting my daily "pre-hab" routine and stretches after runs. Specifically my right hip is incredibly tight and my abductor is too on that side. That's all causing the ITB to irritate the knee cap initally but then the pain radiates back to the abductor and quads.

I have almost no flexibiility in my hip at all so the treatment stretches are all focussed on that for the moment. Proscribed 15 mins of stretching per 1 hour of running (can carry on running though) with a daily set of hip looseners. If it works then he reckons I'll run quicker. Tight enough at the moment to be slowing me down as well as causing pain.

That’s good and hopefully you’ll recover and improve your times.......BUT did it hurt?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Good result........we all neglect the post run stretches but I'm 100% sure I've been a lot less susceptible to niggles since I started forcing myself through a post-run routine. Problem is after a run all I want to do is eat bacon sarnies and drink tea, not spend 20 mins on a bloody mat.

Just had a session with my regular sports massage guy - try to see him once a month or so but was a bit overdue - similar to the stretching, if I leave it too long the knots start to accumulate. Today's joy was a couple on the quad - I knew something was up because the outside of my knee was starting to niggle. I've increased volume and hills a bit recently so not surprising really. Feels great now but by God it hurt getting rid of them. An almost discernible 'pop' on one...... :eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here