Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

CoolTed

Nov 2, 2015
Bristol half marathon winner disqualified after running wrong race

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-58623893

I guess rules are rules but I kind of feel it goes against the spirit of what running should be about. I would have let him keep the win.

Yes, but the other HM runners didn’t know they were running against him.

Both courses pretty well followed the 10K course, with common start and finish lines. The difference was an 11K out and back diversion at 1K for HM runners. There were about half a dozen waves about 30 mins apart, with the elite 10K going early, then HM waves, then 10K mass waves. All runners were warned in advance to watch out for two split points – one at 1K and another one (for a small diversion) at 9K/20K – with a clear message “10K runners keep left”.

This guy would probably have won the 10K by a couple of minutes, so would have already been clear and on his own at 1K when he made the wrong choice. The first he knew something was wrong was when he passed the six-mile marker but couldn’t see the finish, so he asked someone where it was. Seven miles away was the answer! Realising his mistake, he decided to run the HM instead, adjusting his pace accordingly.

I’m trying to get my head round the timings but I think this is what happened. I believe the elite 10K race should have started at 09:00, though the clock in photos seems to show 9:07. He completed the HM course in 63 mins so would have crossed the finish line at 10:10. At that time the HM leader, having started at 9:30, would have been at about 8 miles, presumably feeling quite relaxed with the lead he had built up over the second placed man. He finished in 67 mins and, at some point, was told he came second.

It is beyond me why the wayward guy was declared the winner of the HM. Although all times posted are ‘chip’, the rules are clear that positions for prizes can only be decided by gun times. His was a different gun!

Common sense has prevailed with the 67-minute man now being declared the winner of the HM. But I don’t understand why the wandering runner has been disqualified. Surely, he can’t be disqualified from the HM because he never entered it? And why disqualify him from the 10K when he crossed the start mat, ran the full 10K course and crossed the finish mat? Missing the turn was his problem, one that cost him about 2000 places. I suppose that runners can be disqualified for failing to keep to the prescribed course, but that rule is designed to stop anyone gaining an advantage. Or maybe he has asked to be DQ’d so that he doesn’t have a 63-minute 10K against his name on Power of 10? That wouldn’t impress the Ethiopian selectors!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I finally have a race result and an entry to put in the table. They set up a 5k race in the ground of the Exhibition Centre in Toronto and invited groups to enter in hourly waves, which were really just separate races through the morning. My Run-TO-Beer running club took over the 11am slot.

It was the most horrible course I've ever run on. 4 laps of a park with some horribly tight turns, one of which I almost had to stop at. I did want to test myself though and see what kind of race shape I'm in having not really done any training during the pandemic. I did go off way too fast with a 3:25 first km and then it was a case of just holding on to a more sensible pace until the end. I finished at a very Albion appropriate time of 19:01, winning my wave and getting first place in my category overall. Almost a minute off my PB but I'm more than happy with that given how horrible the course was and my lack of real training. Also, it's the first time I've crossed the line first.

Can someone calculate my AG % for me? I'm 37. I used the wrong calculator last time.

You’ve described Haywards Heath (Clair) parkrun. Great work :)

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Yes, but the other HM runners didn’t know they were running against him.

Both courses pretty well followed the 10K course, with common start and finish lines. The difference was an 11K out and back diversion at 1K for HM runners. There were about half a dozen waves about 30 mins apart, with the elite 10K going early, then HM waves, then 10K mass waves. All runners were warned in advance to watch out for two split points – one at 1K and another one (for a small diversion) at 9K/20K – with a clear message “10K runners keep left”.

This guy would probably have won the 10K by a couple of minutes, so would have already been clear and on his own at 1K when he made the wrong choice. The first he knew something was wrong was when he passed the six-mile marker but couldn’t see the finish, so he asked someone where it was. Seven miles away was the answer! Realising his mistake, he decided to run the HM instead, adjusting his pace accordingly.

I’m trying to get my head round the timings but I think this is what happened. I believe the elite 10K race should have started at 09:00, though the clock in photos seems to show 9:07. He completed the HM course in 63 mins so would have crossed the finish line at 10:10. At that time the HM leader, having started at 9:30, would have been at about 8 miles, presumably feeling quite relaxed with the lead he had built up over the second placed man. He finished in 67 mins and, at some point, was told he came second.

It is beyond me why the wayward guy was declared the winner of the HM. Although all times posted are ‘chip’, the rules are clear that positions for prizes can only be decided by gun times. His was a different gun!

Common sense has prevailed with the 67-minute man now being declared the winner of the HM. But I don’t understand why the wandering runner has been disqualified. Surely, he can’t be disqualified from the HM because he never entered it? And why disqualify him from the 10K when he crossed the start mat, ran the full 10K course and crossed the finish mat? Missing the turn was his problem, one that cost him about 2000 places. I suppose that runners can be disqualified for failing to keep to the prescribed course, but that rule is designed to stop anyone gaining an advantage. Or maybe he has asked to be DQ’d so that he doesn’t have a 63-minute 10K against his name on Power of 10? That wouldn’t impress the Ethiopian selectors!

From the photos and footage it's clear that the elite mens and womens 10k and HM runners started in the same wave at just after 9am. He's pictured at the front with the likes of Chris Thompson (HM), Jack Bancroft (10k), Matthew Rees (10k). I think it was a genuine mistake from Omar as he thought they were all running a 10k :lolol:

He was out in front all by himself straight from the gun and he only realised the error when the finish line wasn't at 10k. :facepalm:

CoolTed

Nov 2, 2015
From the photos and footage it's clear that the elite mens and womens 10k and HM runners started in the same wave at just after 9am. He's pictured at the front with the likes of Chris Thompson (HM), Jack Bancroft (10k), Matthew Rees (10k). I think it was a genuine mistake from Omar as he thought they were all running a 10k :lolol:

He was out in front all by himself straight from the gun and he only realised the error when the finish line wasn't at 10k. :facepalm:

Ah! I wrongly thought all the HM runners, including elite, went later. I see that the elite runners in both races had the same coloured numbers, so quite reasonable for all of them to think they were all in the same race and that explains why a marshal didn’t stop Omar making the mistake.

So, although CT may not have seen him stay on the HM course after the turn, he would have certainly seen him coming back the other way. Perhaps his argument was that it was too late then for him to close the gap.

Certainly some lessons to be learnt, though the races are not normally run together.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Frustrating 10k run for me. Set out to duck under 46 (45.59) and couldn't quite fine tune the pacing, ending up with 46.01. I must have left the 2 seconds out there somewhere. Perhaps it was avoiding the bike riders riding 6 abreast across the prom, bless 'em.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Set up nicely tonight at Oranmore in Galway Bay, the home of Aaron Connolly. The Parkrun course starts just behind the beach running from the harbour but they haven’t restarted this one from the Covid break yet. ☹️

The Achilles says ����

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Set up nicely tonight at Oranmore in Galway Bay, the home of Aaron Connolly. The Parkrun course starts just behind the beach running from the harbour but they haven’t restarted this one from the Covid break yet. ☹️

The Achilles says ����

Shame. Looks like the standard is a bit better than the one you did on Craggy last week, but even then on form you'd be very near the top of the 60-64 old gits league. (Funny how some of the Eire parkruns are back and others still suspended?). Gives the Achilles another week to recover?

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. It's all been going far too well to last and my knee is complaining. Conditions at Worthing look good tomorrow and my form means that an SB might be possible if I go for broke. But I've also got a tricky 10k Sunday. So something has to give. (I don't think I'll be able to resist the temptation of a fast 5k in the morning and then sort out the consequences afterwards.................)

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Sorry, Gaffer. I'm going to have to trouble you when you get back: the knee behaved itself and the perfect running conditions delivered me a 20.49 with an improved AG of 81.35%.
I'm going to celebrate by watching Worthing FC chalk up a home win (he hopes).

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Table update for me too, a new PB of 19:18 and 71.24%

Chuffed with that, as for years my PB here (Lydiard, Swindon) had sat at 19:40. We're using a 'temporary' course which gives much more room at the start & finish, but means there is now almost 1km of lumpy grass, which definitely makes it a little slower, than the 'normal' course. I use quotes as I don't know if we'll ever revert back to that course.

London marathon next week, this is perfect prep right? :) In my defence due to Brighton marathon, a couple of buggy runs and missing starts, this is the first time in a month that I could properly go for it.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sorry, Gaffer. I'm going to have to trouble you when you get back: the knee behaved itself and the perfect running conditions delivered me a 20.49 with an improved AG of 81.35%.
I'm going to celebrate by watching Worthing FC chalk up a home win (he hopes).

Well done. That’s it I’m finished. There’s only one answer…

CA0ABF95-F0B7-49CD-8E68-99E35EB8422B.jpeg

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I had a happy time running the Surrey Half Marathon today.

Well organised, the right distance, plenty of grub at the end, picking up the race number was a doddle, and I got to see Mrs Orange and the kids twice as ran round. I'm very happy with my (unofficial) 1:31:53 too, that felt like I was heading back in the right direction time wise.

:)

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I had a happy time running the Surrey Half Marathon today.

Well organised, the right distance, plenty of grub at the end, picking up the race number was a doddle, and I got to see Mrs Orange and the kids twice as ran round. I'm very happy with my (unofficial) 1:31:53 too, that felt like I was heading back in the right direction time wise.

:)

That's a really top run - well done. I, on the other hand, show what happens when you put a 5k flat track bully into a proper cross country 10k complete with a brute of a hill at the finish: 50.26 and now stiff as a board. Serves me right.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
1:30:24 for me yesterday at the Hackey Half. Nice course! Chipped a bone in my hip sliding on a submerged tent pole playing cricket over the summer (wouldn't recommend) so been very light on any running as it still hurts. Am in for Brighton Marathon 2022 so be nice to get training for that.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Table update for me too, a new PB of 19:18 and 71.24%

Chuffed with that, as for years my PB here (Lydiard, Swindon) had sat at 19:40. We're using a 'temporary' course which gives much more room at the start & finish, but means there is now almost 1km of lumpy grass, which definitely makes it a little slower, than the 'normal' course. I use quotes as I don't know if we'll ever revert back to that course.

London marathon next week, this is perfect prep right? :) In my defence due to Brighton marathon, a couple of buggy runs and missing starts, this is the first time in a month that I could properly go for it.

All the best for Sunday and enjoy! I'm running too. Cannot wait! :O :ascarf:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Goodwood is the best for this 5k, 10k, HM, 20m and Marathon all using the same track simultaneously but starting at different times. Plenty of distance markers but all the same colour so no knowing which race they relate to! A watch is pretty essential!

*shudder*

Crikey, that sounds like running carnage! Feels like event organisers of those kind of events are trying to harvest up a bumper participant attendance without having to spend more. I get it but I'm not sure it makes for an enjoyable running event that would make me want to rush to sign up again.

It is! One of the few races I'd never do again. One minute you're running on your own, then the track is heaving, then everyone's done one and you're back on your tod. Running around a very dull (running-wise) racetrack with mile markers all over the shop.

Anyway, in other news, I got back on my bike for 7,500ft of climbing over 98 and a bit miles in and around the Brecon Beacons on Saturday with zero training :lol: Took us over nine hours, but about an hour of that was at food stations :drool:

I know it's a stupid thing to do, but it got to the point that I wanted to see how far my running fitness could get me. Turns out, it was pretty far. I managed all but one of the climbs (race management meant I walked up it, even though in hindsight I could've ridden). Only in the last couple of miles was I feeling like I was running on empty, but the lure of the finish line got me home. Back to running now and Beachy in a few weeks.

Speaking of which, I'm pretty sure I spotted [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] on the TV last night in the same Beachy Head blue hoodie that I have? :albion2:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Best of luck to the London + virtual marathon runners tomorrow.

Worthing Parkrun (200th). Conditions a bit challenging, but the wind was a cross-wind so not as bad as it looked. Times were pretty slow generally though. 21.14 for me, 79%ish. Not often that this would be the 2nd best of the day at Worthing.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Best of luck to the London + virtual marathon runners tomorrow.

Worthing Parkrun (200th). Conditions a bit challenging, but the wind was a cross-wind so not as bad as it looked. Times were pretty slow generally though. 21.14 for me, 79%ish. Not often that this would be the 2nd best of the day at Worthing.

Good luck VLM runners indeed. Your Worthing 2nd is good for bragging.
I’m still suffering with the “degenerative” Achilles problem. Shame as I was set for a quite Parkrun around the little opened for 4 years Stormont (political fighting and Covid). Been walking up every mountain I’ve come across but must now be at a very low running fitness.
64EA945F-2278-48A3-89F2-B0BBB661EF39.jpeg

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
hi guys, just thought I'd give a race report from yesterday's London Marathon. In summary, it was truly epic!

I woke up and headed to Blackheath feeling a little out of sorts in the stomach but thought it was just the nerves. I always get pretty nervous before races but this was more than usual. I was a little concerned warming up but was hoping to shake it off once we got going. Thankfully once we started it seemed to settle down and I felt relatively comfortable, clipping away, soaking up the atmosphere and keeping it relaxed through the first 12 miles. I was having a lot of fun ticking off the miles with a great group of guys & girls. The crowds at Cutty Sark and over Tower Bridge were amazing!

Hit halfway in around 1:20 I think, still feeling decent so I decided to kick on a little bit. Run the first half with your head, the second half with your heart... All was going well until around mile 17 when I started to get a stitch and felt a bit sick. I'd taken two gels at miles 6 and 12 and was due to take another at 18 but didn't think I'd keep it down so decided not to. Then I felt a bit better and got back in a groove until about mile 22 when I got another stitch and felt sick again. Again it only lasted about a mile or so but the up and down sickness rollercoaster was quite energy sapping. My fuelling strategy had gone out the window. Seeing other guys being sick on the roadside didn't help...

The sketchy GPS running under the tall buildings and through tunnels is always a little disconcerting so I tried to just run by feel and not panic when the watch's pace was jumping around. Although the last couple of miles were a bit of a blur it was amazing to spot my wife and boys by Westminster at mile 24. I was moving on fumes at that point and the breeze in the early part of the race now felt like a gale.

Turning onto the Mall and heading to the finish was incredible and I was so happy to come home with a new 2 & half minute PB of 2:42:07, averaging 6:10/mile over the distance. I made sure to celebrate crossing the line as the sun came out. Looking back at my splits I seemed to keep it pretty even which I'm really pleased with as I definitely had a few wobbles. Placed #492 overall and #114 in my M40-44 age category. Not bad for a 44 (and a half) year old.

Overall it was such a memorable day! The London Marathon is very special indeed. I learnt a lot, gave it my all and had so much fun! The marathon truly is a beast, testing us both physically and mentally, but I think that's why I love it.

Looking at the NSC Runners Strava group I think there were one or two others running yesterday. If you're on here, huge congratulations!! :ascarf:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here