Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

D

Deleted member 2719

Thanks for organising last night, Gaffer and great to see a good NSC (plus extras) turnout. You've managed to grow the Weakest link squad from three members to three teams in four years – pretty good going.

Mouldy, don't take it personally – I think the initial conversations about it were before you rocked up on the thread, so maybe would've missed all the chat about it. Next year there will be a similar convo going on, so be sure to get involved.

Here's an action shot where some good did his usual thing and wen't off like a rocket and then died on his arse after about half a mile of the 1.6 mile course!

Great fun though. I was back in the park doing sort of speed work in a bid to get quicker at the short stuff!

View attachment 111770

I didn't take it personally Greg, although i love to compete in everything I do I would have to be right up to speed to join a team as I am a team player and would want to make sure I did a good shift at worse.
The start looks like it has a fair right to left slope, that would not be great for my knee.
I will try and keep in shape and see what next year brings:thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It sounds like there's been some really solid running from the NSC Runners this weekend! :thumbsup:

I have a couple of races coming up this week. Wednesday evening is the 4th & final race of the Herts Midweek League 10k. At the sharp end of the field there's a really good standard of county club runners. The league is over 4 Wednesdays, in four different locations (Harpenden, Harlow, Watford, Stevenage), each roughly 10k, and billed as road races but the last three have all been mix terrain and the most recent one was more like a cross country mudfest. I'm running for Watford Joggers after being "scouted" :lolol: earlier this year. We're currently sitting 1st in the league in the Men's Overall and Men's Vets and 2nd in the Women's Overall. If all goes well on Wednesday we'll get promoted from Div 2 and Div 1. I'm finding them really fun as you're racing for a place, not a time. So far I've placed 7th, 12th & 10th out of around 400 at the last three races. I was just wondering if there's a similar Midweek league in Sussex?

Then on Friday lunchtime I'm racing at the Serpentine Running Club's Last Friday of the Month 5k in Hyde Park with a couple of guys from work. The field for these are well and truly stacked with a lot of seriously rapid guys and girls. Managed to dip under 17 minutes with a 16:55 PB last time out (pre-Manchester Marathon). I'm nowhere near that shape at the moment so hoping to sneak under 18 minutes.

Oh and I hit 1000 miles in 2019 earlier this week. Targeting 2019 miles this year. :lolol:

Have a good week of running guys! Go easy now :thumbsup:

Impressive running. Good luck with those races.

I’m still just about on for my first ever 1000 mile year. I was on 900 in September in 2016 and got tendonitis and water on the knee that kept me out for the whole rest of the year (and a good chunk of the next one).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BenElton'sBrother

Nov 30, 2003
Hove
More excellent running from you folks over the weekend, nothing spectacular from me, I must be slacking!!

I did however finally get round to updating my stats for the week and a quick comparison of Weakest Link splits for the last three years shows steady progress, still much more room for improvement though :)

2017 - 12.03 / 13.47
2018 - 11.45 / 12.46
2019 - 11.07 / 11.39

This time next week it'll be time for the mid-year appraisal...

Have a happy running week.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
23.11 at Littlehampton parkrun for me on Saturday, getting there. Similar to Hove Prom in that it's up and down 4 times, a slower start though and tighter turns. Would recommend for a change of scenery.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I go into a new age group from October when I reach 40. I’ll be interested to see how much it impacts my age grading. Still some unbelievable 50+ runners around which is heartening.

Is that right? I get the impression that parkrun AG% adjusts continuously throughout the year, rather than waiting until you cross a 5 year age group threshold. Certainly I'm getting the same AG with slightly slower times than I was six months ago, with no intervening birthday.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Is that right? I get the impression that parkrun AG% adjusts continuously throughout the year, rather than waiting until you cross a 5 year age group threshold. Certainly I'm getting the same AG with slightly slower times than I was six months ago, with no intervening birthday.

It changes yearly on Birthday.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It sounds like there's been some really solid running from the NSC Runners this weekend! :thumbsup:

I have a couple of races coming up this week. Wednesday evening is the 4th & final race of the Herts Midweek League 10k. At the sharp end of the field there's a really good standard of county club runners. The league is over 4 Wednesdays, in four different locations (Harpenden, Harlow, Watford, Stevenage), each roughly 10k, and billed as road races but the last three have all been mix terrain and the most recent one was more like a cross country mudfest. I'm running for Watford Joggers after being "scouted" :lolol: earlier this year. We're currently sitting 1st in the league in the Men's Overall and Men's Vets and 2nd in the Women's Overall. If all goes well on Wednesday we'll get promoted from Div 2 and Div 1. I'm finding them really fun as you're racing for a place, not a time. So far I've placed 7th, 12th & 10th out of around 400 at the last three races. I was just wondering if there's a similar Midweek league in Sussex?

Then on Friday lunchtime I'm racing at the Serpentine Running Club's Last Friday of the Month 5k in Hyde Park with a couple of guys from work. The field for these are well and truly stacked with a lot of seriously rapid guys and girls. Managed to dip under 17 minutes with a 16:55 PB last time out (pre-Manchester Marathon). I'm nowhere near that shape at the moment so hoping to sneak under 18 minutes.

Oh and I hit 1000 miles in 2019 earlier this week. Targeting 2019 miles this year. :lolol:

Have a good week of running guys! Go easy now :thumbsup:

Top work as always. I haven't even hit the 1000km mark yet this year. I guess that's what happens when your marathon is in the first week of February!

Another good weekend for me. That Ekiden run on Friday night was brutal but a lot of fun. The cream of the Toronto running clubs (there's a lot) gathered at this abandoned entry gate to a peninsula park. I was half expecting proceedings to begin with "the first rule of run club is..."

It was teams of 6 and each person had to do 4 legs of 1.75km to get to the marathon distance (plus the last person did the extra 200m at the end). Three from each team were on the course at a time, so you paired up with another guy on your team to pass on to between each of your 4 legs. Of course I went off way too fast on my first leg and found myself in third place, in front of some guys I knew were way faster than me. That was soon corrected by the time I handed over to the next guy and proceeded to cough up a lung and drink about a litre of water before I had to start the next leg.

After repeating this 4 times and wondering why we'd signed up to do such a stupid race, our team crossed the line with a combined marathon time of 2:38:36, to take 6th place out of 36 teams. I was hugely impressed with our effort, especially considering most of our competition came from running clubs who did proper training workouts multiple times a week. Our Run-TO-Beer club has no such training, we just do social runs and drink beer!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Top work as always. I haven't even hit the 1000km mark yet this year. I guess that's what happens when your marathon is in the first week of February!

Another good weekend for me. That Ekiden run on Friday night was brutal but a lot of fun. The cream of the Toronto running clubs (there's a lot) gathered at this abandoned entry gate to a peninsula park. I was half expecting proceedings to begin with "the first rule of run club is..."

It was teams of 6 and each person had to do 4 legs of 1.75km to get to the marathon distance (plus the last person did the extra 200m at the end). Three from each team were on the course at a time, so you paired up with another guy on your team to pass on to between each of your 4 legs. Of course I went off way too fast on my first leg and found myself in third place, in front of some guys I knew were way faster than me. That was soon corrected by the time I handed over to the next guy and proceeded to cough up a lung and drink about a litre of water before I had to start the next leg.

After repeating this 4 times and wondering why we'd signed up to do such a stupid race, our team crossed the line with a combined marathon time of 2:38:36, to take 6th place out of 36 teams. I was hugely impressed with our effort, especially considering most of our competition came from running clubs who did proper training workouts multiple times a week. Our Run-TO-Beer club has no such training, we just do social runs and drink beer!

Well done Badger – sounds like a great event!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
That’s the spirit [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION] great advertisement for Beer and fun.

Good news on my return from injury. Just had 2 consecutive 5 milers up and over to Preston Park and back to the Prom. 9:01 a mile yesterday 8:17 today. Trying to build stamina for Saturday’s Arena AG Parkrun at Worthing. May be able to get a 74%.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Ran the Bates Green Gallop on Sunday. First run of any distance for a while clocking 11 odd miles. Nice little event with a 3.8 mile loop around a private farm. You can run as many laps as you like within 6 hours and ring a cow bell at the end of a lap when you’ve had enough. I managed 3 laps before my lack of fitness, dodgy knee and humidity made me call it a day. Good mixture of fun runners and some nutty iron men intent on going for the full 6 hours. I haven’t seen the results yet but my pace was roughly the same as this guy....
4FDCECA1-36B7-45B3-BD2C-A4F753E0AEA5.jpeg

Astonishing

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 2719

Ran the Barns Green Gallop on Sunday. First run of any distance for a while clocking 11 odd miles. Nice little event with a 3.8 mile loop around a private farm. You can run as many laps as you like within 6 hours and ring a cow bell at the end of a lap when you’ve had enough. I managed 3 laps before my lack of fitness, dodgy knee and humidity made me call it a day. Good mixture of fun runners and some nutty iron men intent on going for the full 6 hours. I haven’t seen the results yet but my pace was roughly the same as this guy....
View attachment 111940

Astonishing

Well done, to hard for me.

Did you have to go over stiles and gates???

Is there a results page as I might know of a few people who have done this?

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Ran the Bates Green Gallop on Sunday. First run of any distance for a while clocking 11 odd miles. Nice little event with a 3.8 mile loop around a private farm. You can run as many laps as you like within 6 hours and ring a cow bell at the end of a lap when you’ve had enough. I managed 3 laps before my lack of fitness, dodgy knee and humidity made me call it a day. Good mixture of fun runners and some nutty iron men intent on going for the full 6 hours. I haven’t seen the results yet but my pace was roughly the same as this guy....
View attachment 111940

Astonishing

Must have good batteries in his Garmin.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Looks like the Brighton 10k, formerly The Brooks is in doubt this year. Issuing refunds for anyone who’s signed up. Looks like they don’t want to use the event management company.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
23.11 at Littlehampton parkrun for me on Saturday, getting there. Similar to Hove Prom in that it's up and down 4 times, a slower start though and tighter turns. Would recommend for a change of scenery.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Agreed. Nice course.

I've now done all 19 Sussex parkruns thus confirming my status (jealously guarded) as 'NSC Parkrun Tart'. So if anyone is ever thinking of doing a new one (to them) I'm always happy to give an opinion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here