Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

D

Deleted member 2719

That's age not suffering.

I was praising him up.

Age is just a number as they say.

I am still getting quicker in my mid-fifties, I did another PB at 6K this morning by 25 secs, how far can it go when you only have 18-month running experience under your belt running once every 5 days on average???

You never gave me an answer about heart rate, this was mine this morning, should I back off, run harder or is it about right???

Attachments

• 6K heart rate.png
    6K heart rate.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 86

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I was praising him up.

I am still getting quicker in my mid-fifties, I did another PB at 6K this morning by 25 secs, how far can it go when you only have 18-month running experience under your belt running once every 5 days on average???

You never gave me an answer about heart rate, this was mine this morning, should I back off, run harder or is it about right???

Depends on what the aim of the run was and what you were doing when you were in those zones, so a long slow run on the flat to work on your stamina would have a lot less red, and a load more green for instance.

I occasionally use the zone training plans on my watch, and it is jolly hard work going the right pace to keep your heart in a specific zone!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I was praising him up.

If you improvement carries on at this pace, you'll be world class by 60! Personally I don't go in for Heart Rate training. I did come 2nd (age cat) to someone who once told me that he ran the first half of a 5K at a steady heart rate and added 2 extra beats per min to the back half of it.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Personally I don't go in for Heart Rate training. I did come 2nd (age cat) to someone who once told me that he ran the first half of a 5K at a steady heart rate and added 2 extra beats per min to the back half of it.

Blimey, was he some kind of Buddhist monk?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I was praising him up.

Are you wearing a monitor belt round your chest, Judas? If not the HR recorded are pretty meaningless.

D

Deleted member 2719

Depends on what the aim of the run was and what you were doing when you were in those zones, so a long slow run on the flat to work on your stamina would have a lot less red, and a load more green for instance.

I occasionally use the zone training plans on my watch, and it is jolly hard work going the right pace to keep your heart in a specific zone!

I only have one aim PBs! It was on just about as flat a course as you can get with a slight wind in all directions as I run a full circle.

I am concerned because of my single-mindedness in after PBs, that I may be pushing too hard???

If you improvement carries on at this pace, you'll be world class by 60! Personally I don't go in for Heart Rate training. I did come 2nd (age cat) to someone who once told me that he ran the first half of a 5K at a steady heart rate and added 2 extra beats per min to the back half of it.

Maybe I might even get a minus time!

I only analyse at the end so I don't think I could be as accurate as your running mate!

Are you wearing a monitor belt round your chest, Judas? If not the HR recorded are pretty meaningless.

I used to wear a chest belt but because I have a big cleavage the monitor would not sit well and I found my heartbeat was about as quick as a blue whale.

So I have it on my wrist a Garmin forerunner 235, it has been consistent so I can only assume it is close.

So am I working too hard or do I need to work harder???

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Thanks for organising last night, Gaffer and great to see a good NSC (plus extras) turnout. You've managed to grow the Weakest link squad from three members to three teams in four years – pretty good going.

Mouldy, don't take it personally – I think the initial conversations about it were before you rocked up on the thread, so maybe would've missed all the chat about it. Next year there will be a similar convo going on, so be sure to get involved.

Here's an action shot where some good did his usual thing and wen't off like a rocket and then died on his arse after about half a mile of the 1.6 mile course!

Great fun though. I was back in the park doing sort of speed work in a bid to get quicker at the short stuff!

Screen Shot 2019-06-20 at 13.49.24.jpg

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Thanks for organising last night, Gaffer and great to see a good NSC (plus extras) turnout. You've managed to grow the Weakest link squad from three members to three teams in four years – pretty good going.

Mouldy, don't take it personally – I think the initial conversations about it were before you rocked up on the thread, so maybe would've missed all the chat about it. Next year there will be a similar convo going on, so be sure to get involved.

Here's an action shot where some good did his usual thing and wen't off like a rocket and then died on his arse after about half a mile of the 1.6 mile course!

Great fun though. I was back in the park doing sort of speed work in a bid to get quicker at the short stuff!

View attachment 111770

You like as if you are about to go off at a tangent (short cut?)…………….Good running. We were defo the best looking team anyway.:wink:

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Top work from the gaffer putting together last nights relay. Great night down on Duke’s mound and good to see so many NSC regulars milling around down there. Enjoyed the new format which led to some close racing between the teams and no element of bitterness from those in last place whoever they were. Great fun, let’s get 4 teams next year

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Great work guys, it looked like a lot of fun. I love the photos. I hadn't realised it was quite such a big event.

I'm doing something similar tomorrow night. One of Toronto's running clubs hosts an Ekiden run on the longest day each year. They only invite teams from other running clubs, so it's very competitive.

I've never done one before, so I'm not completely sure of the format. Apparently they like to mix it up each year, rather than stick to the traditional format. All I know is there are teams of 6, which have to complete a marathon distance by running short loops (a mile I think), with team members doubling/tripling up in order to finish quickly. The last person in the team does the extra 200m to finish the marathon distance.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Another great Weakest Link evening last night. The mixed abilities teams made it more enjoyable as the racing was closer and good to run with different people.

As mentioned above, hopefully 4 teams next year if the gaffer can handle the extra responsibility.

Nice to catch up in the pub too. And sorry to [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] - I was still half asleep probably.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Sounds like a great night - double gutted about missing it!
Incidentally it’s been suggested on my clubs site there was bit of foul play going on here!7A188DB3-6D76-4FA9-A2EF-D37098A00CF8.jpeg

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Great work guys, it looked like a lot of fun. I love the photos. I hadn't realised it was quite such a big event.

I'm doing something similar tomorrow night. One of Toronto's running clubs hosts an Ekiden run on the longest day each year. They only invite teams from other running clubs, so it's very competitive.

I've never done one before, so I'm not completely sure of the format. Apparently they like to mix it up each year, rather than stick to the traditional format. All I know is there are teams of 6, which have to complete a marathon distance by running short loops (a mile I think), with team members doubling/tripling up in order to finish quickly. The last person in the team does the extra 200m to finish the marathon distance.

Sounds brilliant, but I'd be a bit (cognitively) challenged by the format, not to mention the standard.

BenElton'sBrother

Nov 30, 2003
Hove
Just to echo everyone else on here, thanks to the Gaffer for organising the Weakest Link again this year.

Stirling effort on fixing (sorry, organising the teams) and one that deserves to be rewarded by holding the reigns again next year :wink:

As for the pic above [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] it’s hard to tell who was obstructing who…

Anyway, I was reading this article on the way into work this morning, anyone fancy it!?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/48702452

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Just to echo everyone else on here, thanks to the Gaffer for organising the Weakest Link again this year.

Stirling effort on fixing (sorry, organising the teams) and one that deserves to be rewarded by holding the reigns again next year :wink:

As for the pic above [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] it’s hard to tell who was obstructing who…

Anyway, I was reading this article on the way into work this morning, anyone fancy it!?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/48702452

Yep, I reckon the performances over the course of the evening were enough to convince me that [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] is the man to lead us into next season as we mount an assault on the top spots...

I remember reading about that New York race before. The type of thing Sussex Trail Events would give some serious consideration to somewhere... Do I fancy it? I'll do 3,000 METRES, but not the miles :lol:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Results from Weakest Link:

http://www.jogshoponline.co.uk/theweakestlinkrelay.html

Amazing out of 100 teams that two of ours should be so close. Testimony to the Gaffer's selection skills.

BTW just in case: no Worthing parkrun tomorrow as there's building work on the prom.

Close finish indeed.
Great how they “organise” that with 400 runners, through cottaging bushes,the boy racer Madeira Drive, on the bike path, round parked coaches, round pedestrians; with one steward, a stop watch and a pencil.
Must point out that The Jog Shop got the numbers arse about face but all par for the course.Ninja stays at 16 but Big Nuts becomes 17 Murray and Mr Banana 15.

I’m sure I can mix the teams next year and be in the winning team again.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Results from Weakest Link:

http://www.jogshoponline.co.uk/theweakestlinkrelay.html

Amazing out of 100 teams that two of ours should be so close. Testimony to the Gaffer's selection skills.

BTW just in case: no Worthing parkrun tomorrow as there's building work on the prom.

I’m going to take in the Downland Dash 5 tomorrow in Hassocks. 12:30 start so I can have a few drinks tonight and still be in reasonable condition. Has anyone run it before?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I will be heading to Hove Prom tomorrow to see if the 10K training is going to translate in to an SB or if the predicted heat and sunshine is going to leave me a sobbing mess. Anyone else?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here