Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I agree with the above, it is carrying extra weight that causes joint issues when running, not the running itself. I'm struggling at the moment because I'm half a stone heavier than I should be.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
My knees were a bit ****ed BEFORE I started running - often painful (I was significantly overweight, and played cricket and squash, neither of which are helpful). Have run c1500 miles a year minimum (sometimes more) for the last 20 years or so and not had any knee issues at all (poss more to do with losing 6 stone than running a lot of course). Since starting running I have always taken a high strength glucosamine sulphate supplemement - maybe all in the mind but I do think it helps. Def agree re trails - so many benefits over road running.

More food – and better aid stations – being one of them :lolol: :thumbsup:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Do people really not **** their knees up by running every day? Are some of those days in the streak under 3km?

I have ****ed knees anyway!

A number of the runstreakers I know do a "rest day mile" to keep things ticking over. I've just scanned down my Strava log and I think I've done that twice - once on February 5th, just after I started the streak, and once on June 15th. That was the day my knee was completely shot - I'd run 16.7 miles two days before. I should have ended the streak at that point, and in fact I had spent the day thinking I'd done just that, but I went out onto the Downs at 9:34pm and hobbled a 10-minute mile. My knee slowly improved in the following days with me just doing short slow runs (that week went 1.05 miles - 2.5, 3.0, 4.0, 6.0, 6.2 and 5.1).

Over the 165 days, I've covered 946 miles of running, making for an average of 5.7 miles per day. If I factor in dog walking too, I'm averaging 11.9 miles per day this year.

636 miles since March 17th, I make that an average 5.3 miles.
Shortest day was 3.56 miles.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What is this and what does it do?

Naturally-occurring substance, supplements are usually made from shellfish...............possibly helps prevent osteo-arthritis and other joint complaints. Jury is very much out but seems to have worked for me - I know loads of other runners that also take it> i did take a month off it and defrinitely noticed knee pain starting to appear, so that convinced me to keep taking it. Could have been coincidence of course :shrug:

Example article (quite balanced). Loads of others online.

https://www.running-physio.com/should-i-take-glucosamine-and-chondroitin/

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
If we don't get giddy and do too much, too soon or go too hard, too often, running can actually improve our body's joint strength and stability as well as improve heart and lung health, reduce risk of chronic illness, improve mental well being and help reduce symptoms of anxiety, depression and stress. How cool is that?! :smile:

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
I need to put the miles in given my cider and crisp consumption! Last week...

Running: 43.5 miles
Walking: 37.7 miles
Average steps per day: 20,595

Weight change: +2 pounds

It's almost exactly a year since I was able to start running again, and I'd lost three stone in the preceding 7 months with no running at all.

In the last year, with loads of running, my weight has stayed pretty much the same. It fluctuates by a few pounds here and there, but remains broadly the same.

When I'm deep into a marathon training cycle I drop quite a bit of weight so I have to make a real effort to eat a lot more than what I usually do to keep my glycogen energy stores topped up which I find quite hard.
I'm usually relatively lean (I think I'm around 9 stone 4) but as race day gets closer I have been told a strong breeze could blow me over or that I look a bit like a pro cyclist about to take on the TdF. :lolol:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
When I'm deep into a marathon training cycle I drop quite a bit of weight so I have to make a real effort to eat a lot more than what I usually do to keep my glycogen energy stores topped up which I find quite hard.
I'm usually relatively lean (I think I'm around 9 stone 4) but as race day gets closer I have been told a strong breeze could blow me over or that I look a bit like a pro cyclist about to take on the TdF. :lolol:

I'm exactly the same. I'm just under 10stone and stay within about 2 pounds of that the whole time I'm just doing my usual exercise. My eating and drinking habits aren't always the most healthy but I'm good at moderation and make up for it with the running. During marathon training it's hard to eat enough food. Especially after a long run when I find I just don't have enough energy to digest a lot of food. I have to make a real effort to eat those extra calories on rest days but I still end up losing weight before race day. Not that I'm complaining. It's a nice problem to have!

The 2 weeks following a marathon are the best. I just stuff my face.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
I don’t know how the rest of NSC runners feel but I have almost given up on BM happening in September. I’ve not entered any kind of training regime in the expectation of it being cancelled and now selfishly hope that is the case. Manchester now announcing theirs is cancelled so surely only a matter of time. I haven’t taken up the early bird offer for next year and wonder if others on here were tempted.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I don’t know how the rest of NSC runners feel but I have almost given up on BM happening in September. I’ve not entered any kind of training regime in the expectation of it being cancelled and now selfishly hope that is the case. Manchester now announcing theirs is cancelled so surely only a matter of time. I haven’t taken up the early bird offer for next year and wonder if others on hear were tempted.
Bournemouth HM (October) cancelled now too. Can't see any events this year.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Do people really not **** their knees up by running every day? Are some of those days in the streak under 3km?

I’m on day 116 of my streak now. In April and May I was averaging 10km a day, in June and July it’s dropped a bit to an average of 8-9km. Shortest runs (on “rest days”) are 5-6km. I’m tempting fate, but so far I feel better and stronger with fewer niggles, aches and pains that I usually have when doing a conventional marathon training plan with proper rest days built in. I’m doing very little speed work at the moment though (as I have no races to train for), so that may be part of the explanation for the lack of discomfort.
As far as knees are concerned, I’m lucky in that they are one part of the body I’ve never had pain in (and I’m 65 this week, so hopefully my knees will last a bit longer as they’ve managed ok up to now)

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I don’t know how the rest of NSC runners feel but I have almost given up on BM happening in September. I’ve not entered any kind of training regime in the expectation of it being cancelled and now selfishly hope that is the case. Manchester now announcing theirs is cancelled so surely only a matter of time. I haven’t taken up the early bird offer for next year and wonder if others on here were tempted.

No way is it happening. I’m still running my long runs because I enjoy them but I’m not grinding out the hard final few miles like I would if training for the race.

Happy to keep up to somewhere in the region of 16 miles and then up the training once an event is given the go ahead.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

Didn't seem any point in signing up for next year when they'd already said that this year's place would be rolled over in the case of cancellation. I've resumed training to give myself some focus.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I’m on day 116 of my streak now. In April and May I was averaging 10km a day, in June and July it’s dropped a bit to an average of 8-9km. Shortest runs (on “rest days”) are 5-6km. I’m tempting fate, but so far I feel better and stronger with fewer niggles, aches and pains that I usually have when doing a conventional marathon training plan with proper rest days built in. I’m doing very little speed work at the moment though (as I have no races to train for), so that may be part of the explanation for the lack of discomfort.
As far as knees are concerned, I’m lucky in that they are one part of the body I’ve never had pain in (and I’m 65 this week, so hopefully my knees will last a bit longer as they’ve managed ok up to now)

Welcome to the Thread 65 Club. I'm the Chair and I need some help with the admin, so I hope you are up for it!

Well done on your streak - I'm genuinely impressed. Long may your knees hold up to the pressure. I got to 62 without some much as a knee twinge. Since then they've been going downhill (as it were).

Will the streak translate into some (age grade) PBs?

Blue&WhiteSea

Jul 5, 2003
Sutton
Bournemouth HM (October) cancelled now too. Can't see any events this year.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

I'm doing a trail race this Saturday, it's an adventure race and they have ditched the mass start so everyone will set off at different times.
You have to plan your own routes meaning there should be a fairly low chance of tripping over each other.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

No chance. I said at the time when they rescheduled races for the Autumn that I doubt they would happen. It's irresponsible, if nothing else. No mass gatherings for months on end and then tens of thousands of people crowding the streets for a running race? Forget that!

Write off 2020 and move on.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Welcome to the Thread 65 Club. I'm the Chair and I need some help with the admin, so I hope you are up for it!

Well done on your streak - I'm genuinely impressed. Long may your knees hold up to the pressure. I got to 62 without some much as a knee twinge. Since then they've been going downhill (as it were).

Will the streak translate into some (age grade) PBs?

Thanks - of course I’m honoured to join a club with such exalted company. Less keen on admin perhaps, though!

Not sure about PBs - it’s so long since I raced properly, and I’ve not been doing much speed work in recent months, so I’m guessing that any benefit from the streak will be in endurance terms, and would be most use for helping me get PBs at half marathon or longer. I tried a (not) parkrun at Preston Park a couple of weeks ago, and was a good minute and a half outside my PB, but how much that was to do with the lack of other runners to incentivise me, I don’t know.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Bounce you off the bottom of page 3. Incredible mileage being done by the lads.
3 weeks off for me now. The inflammation is racing round my body like a pin ball machine. Each day it could be any 2 or 3 areas from thumbs, neck, back, big toes or litlle toes. Tendonitis pops up in various areas, mainly base of feet and calves, for a few hours at a time. No real pain as it's not taking a hold with this mini flare up. So have to happily concentrate on eating and drinking and avoiding any repetitive exercise/movement. Daily sea dip soon to be replaced with some swimming mileage to start the return to fitness.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A glorious run over the Downs with the hound this morning as my knee continues to improve. Slow and steady seems to be fine, and I'm happy with that.

The run brought up 1,000 miles for the year (which I've never done before) and also 50,000 feet of climbing.

IMG_4781.jpg

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Bounce you off the bottom of page 3. Incredible mileage being done by the lads.
3 weeks off for me now. The inflammation is racing round my body like a pin ball machine. Each day it could be any 2 or 3 areas from thumbs, neck, back, big toes or litlle toes. Tendonitis pops up in various areas, mainly base of feet and calves, for a few hours at a time. No real pain as it's not taking a hold with this mini flare up. So have to happily concentrate on eating and drinking and avoiding any repetitive exercise/movement. Daily sea dip soon to be replaced with some swimming mileage to start the return to fitness.

Sorry to hear of your discomfort Gaffer. :down: Take it easy and rest well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here